FORGELINE GA1R Open Lug Cap on a Hellcat

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by dragrcr, Jan 3, 2016.

1. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    These wheels cost me $5300 (including shipping) on Cyber Monday sale, normal price would have been $6700. I had a 15 SRT 392 and I tried many different wheels and tires on it mostly for drag racing. But for this car I had ideas and almost every case there were compromises in strength or quality or safety. So I bit the bullet and bought these. This whole setup is for drag racing without neutering the car for driving on the street. So I can still take some corners conservatively of course (but better than you would think).

These are 20X8.5 +5 mm and 18X10.5 +25mm. I wanted 8" for the front to shed that last bit of weight but they did not have a forging that would accommodate that width. I went with +5 offset on the front so the tire would not sink into the wheel well and reduce my track width.

I went with a 245/45R20 Continental Extreme Contact DW on the front because it was one of the lightest in that size and it has a straight rib design that should offer less rolling resistance. But who knows........... On the back I went with the Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S 305/40R18. That tire is steel belted and so should do well on the street. I chose a 10.5 rear rim width so I could run the Nitto NT05R in a 315/40R18 in the future if I think it will fit. I was thinking of going with a +27 offset but then I might have had to stay with a 305 at that point. DSCN1883.JPG DSCN1886.JPG DSCN1880.JPG DSCN1896.JPG DSCN1874.JPG DSCN1887.JPG DSCN1883.JPG DSCN1883.JPG DSCN1883.JPG DSCN1886.JPG I am running TPMS sensors.

The back rim just barely hit the sway bar at full droop of the suspension so I installed the HHP shorter Sway Bar Links. I also slid my shock wires in to keep them from rubbing on the smaller diameter rims. I have read that this happened with someone with a 20" rim so check your wires! Take my advice as I learned this the hard way.

I used forged Titanium Lug Nuts to save a little more weight. Bought off E-Bay for $169. I like the look but may not be for everybody. They do take special installation procedures so be advised you cannot just buy them and slam them on.

Wheel and tires weights off my bathroom scale and lugs weighed on a postal scale.

Stock Wheel & Tire weighed 60 pounds.
    Forgeline Front wheel 21 pounds.
    Front tire 25 pounds.
    Forgeline Rear wheel 20 pounds.
    Rear tire 34 pounds.
    Stock lugs 20, 3.25 pounds.
    Titanium Lug nuts 20, 14.5 ounces.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    More Pics. DSCN1833.JPG DSCN1834.JPG DSCN1837.JPG DSCN1839.JPG DSCN1850.JPG DSCN1851.JPG

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a big problem with most aftermarket wheels as I really like the standard Hellcat wheel but I really like these. Ride height needs sorting out. But all good to go :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TrackDay

TrackDay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow, I love those wheels. I don't know if I could handle the cost though. Thanks especially for weighing the parts.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hummmm, look a little import like. IMVHO.

6. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think you made a good choice with these wheels. They look very good. I'll have to admit that I've looked around
    at aftermarket wheels because I'd like to go with much bigger tires on the back of the car. In fact I'll be doing some "surgery" to clear wider rubber. My only issue is that I really like the factory wheels a whole lot. I've widened
    the wheels on my 14 GT500 to be able to run 325 Dunlops and will likely widen the factory wheels to run a 335
    or wider tire on my Cat. I did not see your wheels or if I did, my eyes were just too tired and I somehow missed it
    because they look great and I would have considered these wheels myself.

Nice Job!! Great looking car.

7. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, Porsche has a wheel very similar to this. I like the 10 spoke design because it will be easier to wash the wheel and reach in to wash the calipers than the factory wheels and it shows the calipers/rotors a lot more.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good point. I love the factory black wheels but they are not the easiest to clean. I can see how the 10 spoke wheels would be much easier to clean.

9. BLK_MAGIC

BLK_MAGIC VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nice wheels and specs, are the overall height of the front and rear the same? And why no wheel Locks? I don't know if the weight savings of 4 locks were an issue for you, i would just want protect my investment or slow down crooks enough to get my peacekeeper!

10. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    good write up man,
    very appreciated,
    its good to get solid complete information on the exact specs and sizes, and weights of stock vs aftermarket.
    and those look great too. The stock wheels are decent but there is indeed room for improvement and you made it.

11. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey, whats the special install process for titanium lug nuts?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Same question

13. TrackDay

TrackDay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I assume some type of anti-galling paste must be used on the lug nuts or studs. Steel and titanium are prime candidates for galvanic corrosion.

14. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    VALIANT.jpg
    The front tires are the same height as a stock Hellcat. 28.8ish. The back tires are shorter. 28", that is why it looks like my car needs to be lowered in the back in some of the pics.
    I do not ever take my car anywhere where it would need wheel locks. I treat this car like my 67 Valiant that I spent 2 years of my life building in my Garage. But, I do spend the night in a Hotel maybe once or twice a year when I race out of town. HHMmmmmm......

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  15. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, you have to use lubricant on the threads to keep from Galling. I even used it on the 60 deg face of the seat. I used ARP lube and typically you would use 85% of the normal torque value when using this lube. But the Lug nut instructions said to use the angle to determine the proper clamping load.

So, before I even removed a single stock wheel I removed just one stock lug nut. Then I put it back on using just the socket in my hand and tightened it hand tight. Then I set my torque wrench for 110 foot pounds and indexed the handle straight up. Then I tightened the lug nut and left the torque wrench on the lug nut. Then I took my degree wheel and held it up to the center of the socket and put zero at 12 o clock (straight up) and took a degree reading on the wrench handle. I came up with 39 deg. Then I tried a couple others and came up with 40 and 39. So 40ish degrees to tighten to 110 foot pounds.
    Then once I got ready to install the first Forgeline wheel I lubed the studs and all the lug faces. I torqued all the lugs to 80 foot pounds, which I thought was conservative because it was well below 85% of 110 foot pounds. Then I removed one lug and retightened hand tight. Then I indexed at 12 o clock and tightened to 80 foot pounds. I came up with 43 deg. I tried it a couple more times on other lugs and came up with 43 and 44 deg. I intentionally wanted a little more deg just to be safe but to also be sure I was not over doing it. So I am sticking with 80. I may recheck this after a couple more tightening cycles just to be sure. But I am on the conservative side of this because as time goes on the threads will polish and need less torque so I would suspect the value needed would be slightly less in the future. I would rather error on the tight side, because this stuff is over engineered. In other words I do not feel like I am going to break a stud or distort my hub or anything.

• Useful Useful x 1