Former or current Viper owners, throw some truth at me!

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by colossus3200, Sep 10, 2015.

1. colossus3200

colossus3200 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I just signed up as a 392 Challenger owner but really I have 6.1. I am in the market for either a Chally Cat or Viper but would like some input from experienced owners. 2 or 4 seats makes no difference to me as neither would be a daily, so what are some pros and cons for both? Thanks in advance!

2. rw99

rw99 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Tell me what you want to do with the Viper, and I'll give you my 2 cents plus a bit. Let me know what the budget is, too. PM OK.

Rich
    2009 ACR

3. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    drove the viper at road america last week at the SRT track experience...

felt like my A8 HC had more power.....didnt really like anything about the Viper except for its exterior looks...it shifted fine...engine was rough feeling when starting out(not what i expected from a v10)

if your into taking a car on a twisty track get the Viper......if your into going fast on the road save the $$ and get the A8 Hellcat.......

i thought id love the viper....i looked forward to driving one forever.....now that ive driven one 4x's around the track i would rather have my HC......i did get 1 hot lap with a pro driver and it was amazing, but unless your a pro driver and like twisty tracks i dont see the purpose of the car.......it sure is beautiful though

4. mowe

mowe Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Track monsters, terribly tight, tons of power and very nimble. In my opinion easily controllable. They do however have lots of quirks and little things that are very expensive to fix. Gen 4 was the best of the old and Gen 5s are amazing. Interior in the new ones is awesome. In the old ones the seats are the only thing that are nice... Rest is like a dodge caravan

Don't buy if you want to modify... Unless your filthy rich as the parts are expensive.

Very little support and their forums suck....

My two cents from owning one

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Need more info (as Rich stated) to understand "Fit for Purpose".

Huggy is spot on.

I loved each of my Vipers and I am absolutely in love with my Hellcat. Very different rides designed for different types of play. Happy to comment further but without better understanding of your needs/desires I don't want to inadvertently offer thoughts that are not helpful, or worse, guide you in the wrong direction.

6. colossus3200

colossus3200 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I appreciate everyone's inputs so far and apologize for not giving more info. I'd like this to be a track day car. With that being said it would most likely be for track days and a few straight line runs. Budget is 120 with mods in mind, not a rich guy just an air traffic controller that loves Mopar.

• Like Like x 1
  7. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    find one at a dealer and see if you can get in and out comfortably..

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    yea, lots of regular Joes have over a 10th of a million dollars to toss around for an added toy :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. rw99

rw99 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Comments on size are valid; I'm 6'4 250ish and I couldn't even drive my Gen IV until I had a max seat lowering kit installed. Even now, once I'm in the car it's like I'm wearing it. Which is actually a great feeling when you're on the track.

Gen V interior is a MUCH-needed upgrade for people that care about the interior of a Viper. If it's your track tool and occasional street fun machine, you don't need the shizzy expensive interior of the Gen V GTS.

I have an ACR, so you know my opinion already on aero. It's King. The Gen V TA is very capable, clearly, but driving a real downforce car is it's own experience (once you learn to trust & use it). Gen V TA 2.0 might be a sweet spot right now, as some of those are coming up for sale from guys upgrading to the new ACR. Which is a heck of a car, of course.

Previous-Gen Vipers have their own appeal as track-day cars: a Gen IV, for example, has no electronic traction or stability controls... just ABS. Some drivers love this "old school" lack of nannies, but I think most probably prefer the Gen V's multi-setting "safety net" configurability... as it can make the difference between a "moment" and an encounter with the tire wall or worse. On the other hand, tracking an older car can mean that you'll be more comfortable with the inevitable nicks and scratches that you're accumulating from your track pal's slicks as you set up a pass. Ask yourself how purty you want to keep your Viper.

Repairs, mods, tires, pads, rotors, frickin' EVERYTHING costs more: we call it the Viper Tax. Just the way it is.

Ask away with further questions, I do love talking about tracking a snake.

Rich

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. hashash

hashash Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I also own a 09 ACR and i absolutely love it to bits ! its a monster of a car and so much fun . Its only drawback is the interior other than that the car is just a pleasure to own and drive .
    I love it .
    I can not compare to the HC coz mine has 20 miles on the clock !

11. jred2255

jred2255 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Any 6mt Hellcat guys drive a gen 5 Viper? I'm curious to how the two compare. I'm entertaining the idea of trading in the Hellcat on a 2013 Viper. My only other experience driving a Viper is my brothers '98, and i hated it. It was uncomfortable and the clutch was a pain in the ass. I love how easy the Hellcat is to drive and how comfy it is, the clutch is amazing. Any feedback appreciated!

12. Augdog1964

Augdog1964 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you want comfort and ease stay in the Cat and don't get a Viper... its not for you. I have and love both... Hellcats are straight line comfy cars that make you laugh...
    Vipers are track monsters on rails... comfort is sacrificed for performance, in the ACR as you pull 1.9gs around turns.

And before the Hellcat diehards scream about trackability of the Hellcat, yes it can go around a track, but its not a Viper, heck its not a GT350...check the 13 of 13 track records of the new ACR... this is a true American supercar.

My new Viper below:

[GALLERY=] IMG_0830.jpg [/GALLERY]

• Like Like x 1
  13. jred2255

jred2255 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you for the feedback. I don't expect the viper to be a more comfortable car than the Hellcat, but is it relatively comfortable?

14. Augdog1964

Augdog1964 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sure, it is relatively comfortable... my wife and I go for drives (in my TA as my ACR didn't make it till after Christmas) and we have a great time. My biggest issue is getting in and out... but I'm 51 years old... your mileage may vary... LOL! I personally wouldn't drive across the US in it, but an afternoon of driving the countryside and blowing down country roads... YEP! Now my ACR is NOT the standard interior for the ACR... its the full GTS interior w/ soundproofing... if you are looking at ACR and want to use it daily I'd do the same.

15. jred2255

jred2255 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Gotcha, yeah it would not be a daily driver, i have a Ram for that. The one i'm looking at is actually a base model 2013, no GTS or ACR. I'm not sure if the seats are the different from the GTS to the base. Off hand do you happen to know the main differences between the GTS and the base? I know the hood is slightly different but haven't been able to distinguish much beyond that.