Front license plate - busted by the PoPo!

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Appearance' started by Slowhand, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Slowhand

Slowhand Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    MD requires front and rear plates. I don't have the front bumper drilled. I carry the plate in the glove box. Yesterday a few minutes after a quick pedal mash, I looked in the rearview to see a MD Transit Authority car trailing me one lane to the left. Next intersection I gave a right turn signal as I was going to my gym. Blue lights on and he on my bumper. Pulled over giving him plenty of working room. Nice guy. I explained it was a new car, came w/o front bracket, etc. He wrote me a warning. I guess I'll be investing in one of those hide-a-plates.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. competition

competition VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Least you got off with a warning. I've been pulled once for no front plate and the officer was pretty nice about it. I simply explained to him it's a 70k dollar car and I'm not drilling holes in it, and if he had to give me a ticket I completely understood and would gladly pay it over putting a front plate on. He said "well I can't argue that so I'll let you off with a warning" and knock on wood I haven't had an issue since.

3. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    so he pulled you over for poor driving? or the plate being missing?

ive been pulled over or goofy violations which turned into warnings w/ no plate and never was even mentioned.....its pretty much a given than special cars get away w/o the plate

i wouldnt put a plate on...not even the hideaway

id pay the fine over and over instead

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. RoadwarriorCA

RoadwarriorCA Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You know in the big picture of things, with all the budget cuts and crazy drivers out there (with moving violations), I would think the police would have something better to do than pull a person over for a license plate violation.... UNLESS, it's for some other reason. That is why I got the legal tint...I would of preferred darker.....but I didn't want a reason for them to pull me over...I'm with competition and huggy on this....really adamant about no front license plate.
    BTW...when your an older driver, and treat the officer with respect and explain why there is no front plate, I would personally be surprised to get a fix-it ticket.....unless you happen to get a rookie trying to prove something.

5. Slowhand

Slowhand Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just the plate. He woudn't be near where I was exercising my rights under the 707th Amendment to Free Speed .

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Hemi Dave

Hemi Dave Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I don't pull over for meter maids in NY........Was it Transit police??.....Thats a different story....

7. Dances With Empties

Dances With Empties Gold Member

Where rednecks are nervous of hillbillies
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't plan on drilling my bumper either... Toggle bolts through the lower grill maybe, but no holes! I think the fine around here is a $100 in change? One guy here mentioned a 'vinyl' plate & I may go that route. Probably not 100% legal but may look good from across an intersection?...

8. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Having no front plate is a big no no in the UK. Our time and distance cameras rely on reading the front plate as do some ANPR cameras to make the £££ or $$$'s. I fitted the electronic hide away plate. Bolted from underneath the splitter. No holes in my bumper

9. Puffy

Puffy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I live in a heavy county, state, and transit police area (BWI Airport) so I'm just waiting for the first pull over. My next door neighbor is County and i have a friend with Transit so I will be picking their brains on how serious they are about the front plate. Pretty sure State will be hooking me up first though.

10. CPRHDSRT

CPRHDSRT Pontiac Bred ................. SRT Addicted Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They are pretty serious Puffy. Got the same - nice warning from the MTAP during my first week of commuting on I-95 with my 13 SRT Charger. Ordered Big Mikes Sto n Sho and 2 days later was all set. Still works like a champ 2+ years later. That said - you would need to check possible blockage to intercooler flow. Don't have that issue with the 6.4L

11. Driller

Driller Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Love living in a state that is to cheep to print both back and front plate. No holes are needed in front bumpers of any Arizona cars

12. Puffy

Puffy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Wish I was still registered in FL. F6F had a bracket made using the 2 bolts underneath the front bumper. I'm going to go that route when the Heat catch up to me.