Front License Plate Concerns

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by BlackCat15, Dec 11, 2014.

1. BlackCat15

BlackCat15 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Is the front license plate holder provided by Dodge or installed at the dealer? I just ordered my vanity plates today and got me thinking about this since I haven't seen any pictures with a front plate. I know with some previous cars they had a removable cover. I'm in Ontario and concerned as I don't want any ugly holes made in my black beauty.

I assume these are set up for the region they're being shipped to to comply with local requirements, in my case "Zone 21-Canada-Ontario".

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. BlackCat15

BlackCat15 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Wonder if something like this could be adapted to '15s

Dodge Charger w/remote front license plate

• Like Like x 3
  3. RDLSRT

RDLSRT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    In Texas it is law also. I just keep in the glove box. I don't like the look of the plate on the front. Never got pulled over for not having it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. BlackCat15

BlackCat15 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I was pulled over a few years back in another supercharged beast with no front plate. Started talking to the cop about his car and soon he was sending me on my way with the suggestion that I install a front plate, no ticket.

Just looking for a way to preserve the front, if I did end up putting one on I'd do it without any permanent holes.

5. AvsBest

AvsBest Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The front plate holder is installed by the dealer, not at the plant. They drill 2 holes.

I have been looking at ideas as well, can't go with the "show and go" because you loose an inch of clearance and the cars are already low enough...

If all else fails, I might let them drill and will paint the plate holder to match the bumper so that if I remove the plate at a car show, it won't stick out as much

6. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My car came with the plate holder to be installed by the dealer. I told them no! I have to have one by law, but will put in the window. There are two dimples where screws go, but no holes.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Nycsrt

Nycsrt BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Give me the ticket I don't care she not getting holes in her lips :(

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Michigan is only rear plate, If it was I would move, as well if I had to live on a dirt road , I would move..

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tsc

tsc SRT Hellcat Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Someone has already mounted their plate to the lower grille on a HC Challenger. I have my front plate on my 2010 mounted to the lower grille as well, with toggle bolts and plan to do the same on the HC once I get pulled over for no front plate. :) I assume you will be able to do the same with the Charger, but with either HC you'll likely want to move it to the side a bit to not restrict airflow to the intercooler.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It has a frame that hooks to the front bumper area where there isn't an air flow issue. It just isn't pretty...o_O

11. tsc

tsc SRT Hellcat Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, I know, that's the normal set up. I'm talking about a solution that doesn't involve drilling the bumper. On my current 2010 SRT I use the factory mount, upside down, toggle bolts through the lower grille. No drilling and doesn't touch any paint, only plastic. Should be able to hopefully do similar on the HC Challenger and HC Charger. Easy to remove for shows or at the track and easy to put back on and stay legal in areas that require a front plate.

It's the first time I've ever ran a front plate in 18 years of driving... got a warning for no front plate and my illegal tint. Since my car stands out (B5 Blue with flat black hood) I knew the cop would remember my car and decided to do the mount.

• Like Like x 1
  12. magnummrk

magnummrk SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I told my dealer to not install the plate on my car, his response was "we never do!"

It is illegal to run without a front plate in Wis, but I have never put one on my toy cars. I belong to a local Challenger club and I am surprised how many guys drilled there front bumpers to mouth the plate...makes me cringe thinking about it

13. dieselsc

dieselsc Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've ran all my cars with no front plate and the one time I got "questioned and ticketed" I installed it with 3M two sided tape went to the reporting center to cancel the ticket and it actually stayed on there till I sold the car 3 years later, will run mine without til something happens then 2 side tape, no drilling involved.

• Like Like x 1
  14. superbeegugs

superbeegugs Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Here in NY it is a moving violation. I had Corvettes all my life and never had the plate. I'd get hassled every so often, but you can talk your way out of a ticket. It is the damn meter maids that give you a ticket when you are not present.

On my Superbee, I put the plate on the bottom grille and attached it with zip ties. The plate was 1/2" too big to fit, so I just trimmed it off the top of the plate. NY Plates are orange so it don't look bad. On my Charger Hellcat, I will look at the same spot (lower grille and use zip ties). I never had a problem with it blocking air flow. Maybe on the Hellcat, I'll punch holes in the plate.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. AvsBest

AvsBest Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    If someone has a pic somewhere, I wouldn't mind seeing it. Because there will be a front plate on my car, if they have to drill, so be it but I am trying to avoid it and don't want to restrict the air flow