Front tire clearance

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Suprcat, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Suprcat

Suprcat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Has anyone been able to determine what the largest wheel/tire combo that will fit on the front without modification? I plan on taking off and saving the OE wheels and tires and putting on the widest rims and tires that will fit so I can still rotate. I was told that 20x10 with 295/40-20 may fit up front. I know they will clear on the rear. I am not sure about 305/35-20.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  2. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You need to look across the top of your 275/40 in the front. That nasty looking nut and bolt looks to me that it is 3/8" maybe 1/2" gap on top. If you think it has 0.63" clearance, that what it will take to get a 295/40 (taller) tire in the front. I do not think so. Better question has someone tried (I think this is more likely), a 285/35 or a 295/35 in front. Or simply can someone take a stock wheel with a 305/35 on it and see if it works up front. Many people have those mounted in the back. Width is your problem then, so a wheel backset change may work if you can stomach the front wheels sticking out more.

I am sure lots of people are looking at the answer as some of us, including you are in the market for a new set of tires or are upgrading for road racing and need maximum rubber on the road. Remember with the 9.5" wheels the 275/40 works well in the front anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TexasHellCat

TexasHellCat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have searched and asked others about installing or test fitting 285/35 or 295/35 on the front. While it is discussed, no confirmation.
    As I recall, 295/35 with the stock wheel is being used. I prefer a 10" wheel with that tire. Did you discuss the 295/35 10" wheel setup with Biz at Triumph?

4. Suprcat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I sent him an email - have not heard back yet.

5. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think a 285/40 may fit. Backset out about 1/4" will get the wheel and its extra 1/4" out of the way along with the tire. Biz will know the magic answer, but I think I am close. It is just as tight inside as on top if not more so. That gets approximately 0.4" rubber extra on the road using the 10" wheel. The 285/35 gets a bit short on diameter for my taste, but if you slam the body lower, it all may work, but that spoiler is getting close to the pavement! May be getting low for the street.

I would not put a wider tire on the 9.5" wheels in the front for road racing just my opinion. If you are going wider with rubber get the 10" wheels.

For me, I am going to work on the "nut" behind the wheel knowledge along with a front strut and lowering until I make the PZero's in my collection bald at the tracks (for now using my OEM wheels and PZeros for track days). I am spending my big cash on my street set of wheels and tires, race training tuition and track fees for now. Next year a drive shaft, more back wheels and tires and I will see how quick we can do a drag race with this bucket. Hell, next time I do a private day at BIR (in June) I will have to line it up and see if it will go better than we have seen on the street using the quickest piece of pavement in the world.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Suprcat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Got a chance to talk to Biz @ Triumph - lots of WAY to expensive options! I will find something awesome that will fit within a decent budget. Otherwise, I will run my stock setup and that will be just fine. There is NO reason one wheel should start out at $1200 each......plus rubber.....ridiculous.

7. TrackDay

TrackDay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Axis Model 2 20x10 at Tire Rack for about $300 each.

• Like Like x 1