Fuel Question for a stock Charger with street tires.

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Racing Forum' started by MattG, Jun 24, 2016.

1. MattG

MattG Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I took my Charger to Beaver Springs on Friday night for the first time and had a blast. BUT I went there with a tank of non ethanol 91 octane Sonoco fuel.
    The next day i am talking to someone who i think has more knowledge and he states my times would have been better if i ran straight pump gas, 93 octane with the 10% ethanol. ( oh yeah, turn off the AC too)

Yes i found and re read the post here: Ethanol or non ethanol for the Hellcat
    , without getting in to detonation and other data that i might not understand.

My question is whether the non ethanol would help or not help in better times at the track. I for one will not run it straight again. I have a Sonoco station nearby that has 93 octane with 10%+-

Your opinions would be appreciated. More if you can give me the better times with what fuel type.
    Non racing fuel since i do not YET have any mods to the car.

Thanks
    Matt G

2. MattG

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    reserved for the totals
    will go here

Sonoco 93 octane pump gas is good.
    Quick Trip (not in Pa that i know of) is to stay away from. I assume smaller name fuels as well.
    Sonoco 91 non ethanol is ok for some but not all. 50-50

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  3. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    matt,

I never use anything but 91 octane non ethanol.
    if I had a 94 octane Sunoco around I would use that

I am tuned into your thread now and it is very good information for all of us

• Like Like x 1
  4. Linda's Hell Cat

Linda's Hell Cat
    Record Holder
    Fastest HC Charger/Record Holder

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Matt,
    Using 93 and ran my best of 10.8.
    Then I had the DSS Al DS and 20 inch Nitto's Dr's.
    I think I could have bettered my PB ET by a little and would have like to have tried. But the modding started and tuning began :)
    I also Daily Drive with 93.

Linda :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. saagz87

saagz87 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    From what I have seen using my datalogger, 91 straight gas will always pull some timing but usually not much. I have seen similar results with some 93 octane with ethanol. Sonoco 93 with 10% e has been the best fuel we have found in my area for knock resistance. Whatever you do, stay away from kwik trip 91. Used to use that all the time. After I modded my ZL1 I had it on the dyno a few different times and we always had to add race gas to it as it would just pull massive timing. Up to 12deg... Switched fuel brands and problem solved

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    93 octane for my girl all the time. The ethanol really should not be a problem with the rate we burn fuel, it should not attract moisture and I could care less about any gas mileage penalty for the ethanol. On the highway it reads 23-27 mpg, on that juice, that is crazy!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not sure which would give you better times..the non-ethanol has more BTUs (energy) per gallon than ethanol gas....but less octane rating may pull some timing that may negate the extra power....another issue is the quality of the gas...if the 93 quality doesn't compare to the 91 you could loose power.......

IMO the only way you can be sure the 93 is better is to go to the track with 93 in the tank. Make sure to factor in track conditions (D/A, prep, etc) when comparing. Just because someone else gets better results from 93 doesn't mean you will.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    On our road course where we air it out every two minutes down 1/2 mile of paradise, I notice about 5 mph less in top speed after I have to fill it mid day with junk 91 octane.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. MattG

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Knowing up front that my launching skills need a lot of homework. I was only able to get a 12.2 and 120mph on my 6 passes that i made at the track. Seeing others getting a lot better must be me first to get more in tune to launching this Hell of a car. Dropping air pressure did not make it better. I was told at the track that i was leaving on the Green (!) so my fault first. My Timing has to be way off. And being excited does not help matters either.

Having a 2 hr drive to get home I left before having more time at the tree. Maple Grove will probably get my next time out to work on the launching of the car.
    After telling that i had used this 91 non ethanol fuel. it was pointed out i would do better with just pump 93 octane. ( and a better launch of course)

• Like Like x 1
  10. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would get a OBDII wifi plug and data log knock with the 91 pure vs 93 10%.

11. PlumTexasCrazy

PlumTexasCrazy HELLCAT LIFE MEMBER Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Sounds like u will just get faster with practice!! For me here in Texas we have 93 Octain shell everywhere!! I've gotten a lot of advice and great info on this site!! The START from what I read is everything! I'm having a blast and can not wait for my second trip tonight!! Good luck and keep having FUN!!

12. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf VIP Hellcat Member

Running hard ... in the Wasteland of my Mind.
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not tracking my Cat, but for highway/turnpike driving I was going to use either 91 or 93.

Also, what particular stations do you guys hit for gas? Shell, Sunoco, Speedway?

13. PlumTexasCrazy

PlumTexasCrazy HELLCAT LIFE MEMBER Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Shell 93 oct nitro!!! Get 0.10 cents off (per gal) with free fuel rewards card!!

14. saagz87

saagz87 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Shell, Sunoco, and Exxon are all good in my area based off what I see for knock with my datalogger.

15. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Gas where I'm at just sucks. S. OR splash mixing. You just cant win out of the pump.