SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Fuel Rail Recall Experience

16K views 82 replies 33 participants last post by  maxgroup 
#1 ·
Hey All,
I had the fuel rail recall completed yesterday at my dealership. They said it took about 2 hours total, and that included having the TCM flashed with the updated software programming. I never had any issues with the fuel rail leaking, but it's not worth risking, especially since the car will be on and off the dyno in the next few days finalizing the tuning. I have a few pieces of advice for those getting the recall notices:

1. Call your service department and make sure they put your name on the replacement parts. They are few and far to come by. My service department had ONE set of replacements as of yesterday, and they put my name on them.

2. If you want them to complete the other TSB's, tell them right away so they can get the parts in for that (radiator hose clamps). My service department saw them on the computer and asked if I wanted them done (I had already done the clamp myself).

a. TSB for radiator hose clamps
b. Radio programming update
c. TSB for A8 transmission
d. TSB for PCM (some having fault codes for misfires)

3. Make sure that you tell the service advisor that you know every inch of the car and will be looking for anything different from what it was brought in. Take time to go over the car with them and have them note any marks.

4. I gave the service manager the keys and asked him not to put them in with the others on the board. He was the only one besides the SRT tech that was allowed to drive the car. The car had 2 miles more on it when I left from test driving after the fuel rail fix to ensure there were no leaks.

5. Make sure they park it in a spot with cones around it. It attracted a lot of attention in the 15 minutes I was there, so I can imagine how many other people walked around to look at it. They coned mine off next to the Vipers.

6. Lastly, inspect the car thoroughly before you leave. Anything you find after, they can simply claim they are not responsible. If you can sit and wait a few hours, then I suggest doing that. Enjoy!

Steve

See less See more
Reactions: Snappycat
#2 ·
So I went to one dealer (the closest to me) and they said 3 to 4 weeks to get the parts. Put the order in. Went to the dealer that I bought the CAT from (a bit further) and dealt with the service manager. They had 5 already on order, comes in Friday, going Monday morning to get this done and the power steering fluid replacement. Already did the radiator clamp myself, and will bypass the tranny and misfire flashes. Will cancel the first dealer as soon as this is done for sure.

#3 ·
Hey All,
I had the fuel rail recall completed yesterday at my dealership. They said it took about 2 hours total, and that included having the TCM flashed with the updated software programming. I never had any issues with the fuel rail leaking, but it's not worth risking, especially since the car will be on and off the dyno in the next few days finalizing the tuning. I have a few pieces of advice for those getting the recall notices:

1. Call your service department and make sure they put your name on the replacement parts. They are few and far to come by. My service department had ONE set of replacements as of yesterday, and they put my name on them.

2. If you want them to complete the other TSB's, tell them right away so they can get the parts in for that (radiator hose clamps). My service department saw them on the computer and asked if I wanted them done (I had already done the clamp myself).

a. TSB for radiator hose clamps
b. Radio programming update
c. TSB for A8 transmission
d. TSB for PCM (some having fault codes for misfires)

3. Make sure that you tell the service advisor that you know every inch of the car and will be looking for anything different from what it was brought in. Take time to go over the car with them and have them note any marks.

4. I gave the service manager the keys and asked him not to put them in with the others on the board. He was the only one besides the SRT tech that was allowed to drive the car. The car had 2 miles more on it when I left from test driving after the fuel rail fix to ensure there were no leaks.

5. Make sure they park it in a spot with cones around it. It attracted a lot of attention in the 15 minutes I was there, so I can imagine how many other people walked around to look at it. They coned mine off next to the Vipers.

6. Lastly, inspect the car thoroughly before you leave. Anything you find after, they can simply claim they are not responsible. If you can sit and wait a few hours, then I suggest doing that. Enjoy!

Steve
Steve, did you go to Merrick Dodge, I called yesterday and they said they only had one which was probably yours. Probably going next week to get it done if they get the parts in. Thanks for the update.

#4 ·
Mine was done at Westbury Dodge….their service department is at 111 Bond Street.

#7 ·
I will stay and wait, and actually stand just outside the bay and watch. I just don't trust too many of those guys, sorry if anyone here is a dealership tech, but too many of them have done way too much effing BS to too many peoples cars.
They have just as bad of a rap as a used car salesmen, but worse as they are dealing with property you already own, not property they are trying to sell you.
Not quite sure why they needed to drive your car 2 miles.
The fuel rail is working while the car is idling too, and if they need to make sure it works under higher fuel loads, they can sit in the parking lot and increase the revs to 3000 rpms for 10-20 seconds.
If the service manager specifically says they have to road test it so it's under more load, they can road test it in the passenger seat, as I will drive and come back with it.

#8 ·
I will stay and wait, and actually stand just outside the bay and watch. I just don't trust too many of those guys, sorry if anyone here is a dealership tech, but too many of them have done way too much effing BS to too many peoples cars.
They have just as bad of a rap as a used car salesmen, but worse as they are dealing with property you already own, not property they are trying to sell you.
Not quite sure why they needed to drive your car 2 miles.
The fuel rail is working while the car is idling too, and if they need to make sure it works under higher fuel loads, they can sit in the parking lot and increase the revs to 3000 rpms for 10-20 seconds.
If the service manager specifically says they have to road test it so it's under more load, they can road test it in the passenger seat, as I will drive and come back with it.
I totally understand why you would want to do that. I believe the test drive wasn't as much for the fuel rail, but more for the A8 transmission update. They flashed the TCM, so I believe they wanted to make sure it was shifting properly. The service manager was the only one to get in my car…he gave me his word and knows that I am an important customer to them…my family has bought 20+ cars from them, and referred many more than that. Losing us would be a bad idea.

#12 ·
The only thing I would caution with the transmission flash update is, once it is done, there is no going back. I have heard from some people that it changes the way the vehicle shifts, and some are not happy with it. If it is shifting OK, and you don't have any problems, you might consider skipping it, I am not having it done. But everybody need to decide what is best for them. If there was a way to revert it, I might try it, but since there isn't and I am happy with the way it is working now, I'm skipping it, unless something happens in the future that warrants its attention.

#10 ·
It's the Transmission Control Module. There's an entire write up on it in the TSB (technical service bulletin) section on this forum...definitely check that out.

Reactions: Driver72
#13 ·
The TCM update seems to have made shifting smoother and downshifts less harsh in the more aggressive driving modes. Other than that, the update seems great to me...smoother shifting means less heat in the transmission. Like solo7777 said, if you are happy with it now, don't flash it. If you want things a bit more smooth, then have them do it. Once it's done, there's no going back.

#15 ·
Had my fuel rail repair today.
Used info here to estimate one hour cool down and 55 minute fix.
Completed from entry to exit 74 minutes. SRT tech had Teflon elbow length gloves so did not need all the cooling time...figured I did not want to wait that long. Nice job, considerate tech. Pulled the rear seat for the build sheets signed by Brampton Builder...saw he also signed under the seat and took a picture for me.

#17 ·
I had mine done today at Milton Ruben in Augusta. They only had one rail in stock. Those of you in the area should call first.

Including check in and out time, it took them an hour and 50 minutes.

I had a fuel odor in the cockpit after I left. I repeatedly lifted the hood with and without the engine running. I noticed no fuel odor.

By the time I got back to the dealer, two hours later, the odor was gone. Go figure....

#28 ·
Sounds like they may have taken a short cut around bleeding fuel rail pressure prior to start. Or they didn't clean spilled fuel, or place something to capture spilled fuel before disassembly. Since it went away no concerns.

#29 ·
Just had mine replaced. Felt bad cause my tech burnt his arms since I was waiting for the repair, it didn't cool off enough before he fixed it. Also said they are getting a reading that my driver door lock does have issues! I knew I wasn't crazy, I go to open the door, it unlocks and then locks when I flip the handle up. Messes with me all the time. I told them just to fix that next time I'm in for something. Lol. I told the tech I was sorry he got burned and will take him donuts next week. He takes good care of my Hellbaby. :D

#30 ·
Just had mine replaced. Felt bad cause my tech burnt his arms since I was waiting for the repair, it didn't cool off enough before he fixed it.
Bah, he should BE so LUCKY! When you burn yourself on a Hellcat, I'm pretty sure it gives you magical super-powers... kinda like being bitten by a radioactive spider.

He should thank you! That, and use his powers for evil because... well... HELLcat.

#35 ·
I had mine done today. They had the rail in stock. When I called in to service I told them that I wanted to watch the repair and I wasn't leaving the car. They agreed to let me be present. If they said no, I would have moved on.
If I would have known that the hot motor was an issue, I would have brought 10 bags of ice. The motor took 1.25 hour with fans running to cool enough to stick arm in.
Then you have someone like Tammie that makes the tech stick his arm in there the second she pulls in...

#36 ·
I had mine done today. They had the rail in stock. When I called in to service I told them that I wanted to watch the repair and I wasn't leaving the car. They agreed to let me be present. If they said no, I would have moved on.
If I would have known that the hot motor was an issue, I would have brought 10 bags of ice. The motor took 1.25 hour with fans running to cool enough to stick arm in.
Then you have someone like Tammie that makes the tech stick his arm in there the second she pulls in...
Nuh uh! I showed up an hour early for my appointment so engine could cool. Not my fault I drove it like I stole it and it was still hot. o_O You know I am very considerate of techs! Don't wanna burn the only one there I trust to work on my baby. DrBuick is too far away. :(

#47 ·
They can flash the ECU all they want. It better not effect our ET at the strip, street or performance at the road coarse. If it does, it will become a deceptive issue for them.
Yup that's the reason I don't want my transmission software changed at this time.
I'm hearing the reports of the transmission is "smoother" after the reflash.
Well, "smoother" and fast shifts generally don't go hand in hand. So my guess is, they felt after some testing that the shifting
was a bit too fast and too harsh. Probably backing it off by a bit. Enough to smoothen it out a bit. Well, it MAY not be noticable at the timing lights
but it MAY also. If a couple slower shifts results in .1 second and .5-.75 mph in the trap speeds, how on earth would you prove that it's the new software??
They could argue that it's a different day, different weather, different prep, etc etc.
So, I will tell them, it's my car, DO NOT change the software on the transmission as it is right now.
Not until I learn more about what exactly the new transmission software is doing and getting reports from a lot more people will I change that.
Since it's NOT a safety recall or issue, it should NOT be mandatory.

#49 ·
I had my fuel rail replaced 5/4/15. I was in the garage with the mechanic. I actually lent a hand fishing out the back part of the rail and then guiding
the new one into place. I'm not happy about those plastic push pins. He actually scratch up the paint under the drivers side cowl pretty good. It can't be seen but I know it's there. I'm undecided what to do about it. I will probably just buy the touch up paint and coat it. It's hidden but...

Also had the PCM flash done. I don't know but it seems the whole engine sounds different (i.e. the exhaust). Could be a mental issue on my end I guess. It took an hour and a half.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.