Garage Lift Recommendations

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Harryhomeowner7, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Harryhomeowner7

Harryhomeowner7 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm going to be installing a garage lift to accommodate the Hellcat and SRT8 as well as the Grand Cherokee and the Wrangler.

What lift brands is the user community recommending?

Garage door brand recommendations?

Garage opener recommendations?

Any lessons learned?

Cost estimates?

Thanks in advance

• Like Like x 1
  2. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I asked this very question not too long ago.
    Do a search of lifts with my username. Some people provided links.

You have to also decided whether you want a 4 post storage lift that you drive the car up on the platforms and raise it from there, or a two post lift that allows you to take off the wheels/tires as well as have more room under the car for other servicing and cleaning, etc.

3. Slowhand

Slowhand Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 69RT

69RT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I replaced my double and single doors (I don't remember the brand). The double needed new tracks to go up as far as possible before turning and a side mount opener. I just replaced the door on the single car side. Single side needed no additional work and I used the existing opener. I don't recall the cost but I want to say about $3500.

My door opener is the LiftMaster 8500 as suggested by Slowhand and it works great. The cost of the opener was included in the total project cost.

My lift is a Bendpak HD-9 four post, 9000 pound capacity, 220 V. You will need 40 psi air to release the stops to lower the lift so you may need a compressor. The cost of the lift was $2850 shipped. Lift must be shipped to a place with a dock and forklift. I had mine shipped to work and loaded it on a trailer to get it home. It took me and two friends (mechanic types) about 4 hours to install the lift and run power to the garage. I also bought the Rolling Bridge Jack from bendpak. It is pneumatic and has a capacity of 4500 pounds. The jack is needed if you want to remove tires for access.

The four post is great for storage. I store my '69 Charger on top and park the Cat underneath. When pulling the Cat into the garage, I have at least 12 inches of clearance on both sides from the posts. Footprint is fairly large. I actually made a scale drawing of the garage and used cut outs to make sure that everything would fit. Make sure that you double check all of your measurements to make sure that it will fit and that you have enough ceiling height.

Pay no attention to the 10 pounds of crap that I have shoved into a 5 pound bag.....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Slowhand

Slowhand Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

6. 69RT

69RT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Picture added....the only one that I have at the moment

• Like Like x 1
  7. Next Phase

Next Phase Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I use a Liftmaster for the garage door opener and a Quality 4 post lift.

I'd recommend both brands.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Tazman

Tazman Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  9. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I used a direct lift (I have 2 at different locations) 4 post with 2 jack modules so I can do tire changes (all 4 wheels at the same time) with the liftmaster jackshaft opener, not sure of the garage door brand, they're probably all similar, reposting pics below

WIN_20150720_134950.JPG WIN_20150720_134944.JPG WIN_20150720_134931.JPG WIN_20150720_134842.JPG

10. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You can see the Jack modules pushed to the front on the last pic

11. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Bendpak 9hd is what i got....make sure the garage is ready for it before you order it...i ordered and was told 4-5 weeks to deliver....it took 1 week and my garage ceiling hadnt been vaulted yet...so some parts sat outside under a tarp...and rusted....also shipping damage...if your fussy expect to get a few new parts and some spray paint.....the way its packaged its a 100% chance some parts will scrape

over all i DO like the lift and would buy it again....its not a show piece...i burned the paint off backing my gt500 onto it....paint is not powder coated...just cheap China stuff....price is right, its strong, it works

i used my same garage door, just had new rails that raise the door higher installed...the opener is one that sits up right next to the springs next to the door...its cool, when the door closes it automatically locks the door into the frame.....

if your installing yourself....realize lift is designed for a flat surface.....a residential garage isnt flat, its pitched....to adjust for this i bought washers and was able to adjust it with a couple inches of washers....the washers go on top where the cable adjustment is....it wont adjust enough for the 2"+ of pitch your garage floor has w/o them......

also bolt it to the floor....i originally bought the caster kit and was planning on moving it around w/ a car ontop...it does work, but its really scary...plus when i backed my gt500 up the lift and would suddenly stop before hitting the back wall it actually moved the lift a few inches on the floor....you have to floor it to get up the lift, then suddenly stop before you hit the back wall....with an automatic trans its much easier to put it up on the lift

you will need 220 and also a small air compressor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Brother

Look at my avatar, that is a Bendpak that has a custom width, so that I could easily park a full size SUV. Between the posts it is almost 10 feet (wider than the garage doors which are 9 feet). Bendpak will do custom sizes now from the factory, at a reasonable cost, around 4K, not counting the jack. I think it is the same as Huggtree only wider. Clearance is 78 or 79 inches.

13. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    HC fits just fine on the HD9

i have my lift cocked at a slight angle, also moved past the center of the garage...notice how jammed my GMC is...i have like 1" of room on each side to pull the big truck in between the door and the lift.....much of this is also because of my vaulted garage ceiling...im almost hitting the ceiling (about 4-5" to spare)...i moved the lift over partially to be closer to the center of the vault to gain every inch i can....with the new HC shark fin i am 1/2" from hitting the top of the lift w/ the HC under it

before i got the lift i measured probably 10x's to make sure i had room...but didnt realize they had to redo my ceiling joists from 2x6 to 2x8....so i lost 2" i was planning on.....a lift will work in every garage if you vault....i think i paid $11,000 for everything....vaulting, garage door mods w/opener, electrical, modine, drywall, insulation and lift w/install.......

14. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nice setup Huggy

15. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    id like to get a slingshot.....no room....i sold my boat, so i have a open slab next to my work barn/shop....sling shot would fit on the slab, but a car wouldnt,.....maybe a temp/tarp type garage is in my future for the slingshot