Gas pedal felt extremely sensitive on test drive, is that adjustable via performance pages?

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT 392' started by srtjay, Jun 16, 2016.

1. srtjay

srtjay Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Just curious if the throttle tip-in is adjustable or impacted by the Normal/Sport/Track settings on the SRT 392 performance pages.

I test drove an SRT 392 Charger and basically almost spun the tires every time I tried to gently start it going from a stop. Granted, I daily drive a car with relatively dull throttle response, but still, I've driven a LOT of cars in my time and never had one with a pedal this sensitive.

The Scat Pack I test drove was sensitive too, but not quite as much as the SRT.

I'm aware that the somewhat binary (on/off) feel of the throttle is considered normal for this car but what about how it makes that transition from Off to On as soon as the pedal is touched, rather than a couple millimeters into the pedal's travel like most cars?

First, is that normal?

Second, is it owner-adjustable?

Thanks.

2. mark3218

mark3218 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    To answer your question without bashing how slow the 392 is like the above post. It may just take some getting used to. The throttle can be sensitive, but it can be driven fairly easy in any mode without taking off like that every time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Doesn't sound normal and I don't think it is owner adjustable. If you are after that specific car, I'd have the dealership look at it and see if it's something simple/mechanical in the pedal assembly. I'd also drive another example of the same car to see what you experience/perceive. Personally haven't experienced what you describe and have test driven and owned a number of SRT products.

My German cars have have very linear gas pedal action. The feeling on them is you are pushing the pedal a bit further in a very even and straightforward build of power and acceration. The American cars I've owned all had pedal action that felt more immediate and build power more like a dyno graph curve of pressure vs the German straight line at 45 degrees graph curve pressure. Hard to explain, hope I didn't confuse the matter.

I guess paragraph one is my recommendation based on your question and 2 is some comparison gravy if you've driven German. Hope this helps.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Try using the shadow of your foot rather than your real foot. If still too sensitive, try a weaker light source!

More seat time will help!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Trentster

Trentster Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    In the SRT 392 it is absolutely adjustable! The throttle curve is different in each mode. Start accelerating about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle in track mode and then hit street on the screen while accelerating. The acceleration will immediately back of. Still can't feel it? Hit Eco and it really backs off! At full throttle it's all there in each mode, but the throttle curve for how you get to full throttle is actually different in each one of the modes on my 2015 Charger SRT392.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are aftermarket devices out that can be inserted in series and then can be programmed to adjust the pedals signalling output. You can modify output level. Some will allow adjustment to delay, output and ramp, in essance. That also allow for switching between multiple custom profiles, or disable return to stock, by pressing a button, on the fly. That might be something to explore.

7. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You just need a little practice and it will be fine. Look at it this way - you have same pedal travel in the Challenger for anything from 300 to 700 HP. Of course the higher HP throttles are going to be more "sensitive" to input, you pay a lot for it to be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Teo

Teo Judge Yooper

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Typical Hemi behavior! The throttle pedal IS very sensitive! :oops: Just like a light switch on the wall --------- full off or ---------- FULL ON! :eek::p:D:cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. NorCaletch19He77Kat

NorCaletch19He77Kat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    it's called POWER

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Exactly.

God help him if he ever drives a Hellcat :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. srtjay

srtjay Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    The specific issue described in the topic post did not recur on subsequent drives. Case closed.