Gas Prices for Premium?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Driver72, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey all, I grew up in the West (Phoenix and Los Angeles), there it was, and still is common for
    there to be about 8-10 cents difference between gas grades.
    So if regular is $2.00, mid grade would be $2.10 and premium would be $2.20

A few years ago I moved to the southeast for work.
    When I got here I noticed there was 20 cents between grades, so 40 cents between regular and premium.
    That kind of annoyed me, as I couldn't understand why that is here when everywhere in the west it's 20 cents (or less) between regular and premium.

Well, in the past few weeks, I've noticed that the gas stations around here (and even into eastern Texas) are now charging 25 cents between each grade. So 50 cents a gallon more for premium over regular. WTF?

How much of a difference is there in the grades in the East and Upper Northwest.

Because it pisses me off that they are charging 50 cents more for premium here now when that over twice the difference of the west coast. And I don't see any reason for it.
    I'm venting a bit, so I apologize, but I wish there was a way to complain about that and get the stations around the southeast to fall in line with the west of 20 cents more for premium over regular.

2. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Its total bs used to be 20 cents more from 87 to 93

and Hey WTF oil is down why is gas around here 2.79 today??????? was 1.89 2 months ago???

3. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Used to be 4 cent difference. Anywho it's like this. Over 90% of all gas consumed is regular. WTI crude (our oil) is sour and easily refines to regular. Oil from the Saudis is sweet and is easier to refine for premium and is based off Brent pricing which is about 10 bux more a barrel. So it costs more for the oil AND they need a separate part of the refinery to produce premium so we get charged more because it's a specialty. This is what big oil tells us so how much do you believe? In Michigan premium ranges 30 to 50 cents more so a lot of that has to be the middle man and the retailer to explain up to 20 cents difference.

4. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It is total BS here.
    Because out west, there are FAR, FAR more nice cars that take premium than there are here in the South (more money out west = more people drive nicer cars), so you KNOW that there are a lot more people buying premium in the west.
    So I don't get why it's 20 cents more for premium over regular there, and 40-50 cents a gallon more here, where the demand for premium is FAR less than the demand out there. If anything, premium here in the south should be 15 cents more than regular to try to get people to buy it.

5. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So write Exxon and Valero and see what BS response you get

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 70Cuda

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    its 20 cents per jump most stations around here some 25 cents so 87 to 89 mid is 20-25 cents then from mid to 93,91 or what every high grade is another 20-25 cents. so from 87 to premium its 40-50 cents around here. ( Wisconsin ) we have to burn 10% crap ethanol in our area. It is suppose to protect our environment, but thats another debate.

7. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    No pure fuel here either. The government uses feed corn for gas so we have to pay more for food:confused:

8. 70Cuda

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    bad enough they make us burn the stuff but it is so bad for small engines and has little to no storage life. It is also corrosive, non lubricant and makes less power.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

they should give us the choice to burn it or not its after all a free country