Getting a Hellcat

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by SRT_HC_707, Jan 5, 2015.

1. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi folks, I'm a newbie to the forum. I've been lurking for a bit and signed up recently.

I've been stalking the Hellcat since before it came out. I figured I would give it some time to get out of my system but that never happened. I've decided it's time to pounce (better late than never I guess).

I've done the following so far...

1. Calling around for available cars. I definitely want an A8 and I have some specific options I would like but I do have some flexibility on color and options which is good (the more I look at various colors the more I like them). It seems that there are more M6 cars available on dealer lots than M8s (at least in my search). So far any available car I've found has some sort of ADM on it. I don't do ADM, never did and never will. I've offered MSRP on the cars I've found but no takers (yet at least).
    2. Spoke with a three local dealers. All are willing to order me a car and sell at MSRP. I don't get the sense that these dealers all 100% understand the process for ordering these (I"m not sure I understand 100% either so feel free to enlighten me).
      1. Dealer 1: Small dealer, has no allocations at this time, has several 4 Hellcats on order (one in transit), they want a reasonable deposit refundable prior to VIN issue. Said they have no idea how long it will take to get the car (6 months, 12 months). Spoke with sales rep, owner and sales manager. All seem like straight shooters that won't play games later.
      2. Dealer 2: Gave me a similar story to dealer one. This is a larger (medium to large dealer). Sales person seems to be a good guy. Haven't dealt with anyone else there yet. I don't know if they will pull any shenanigans later (where I don't think Dealer 1 will).
      3. Dealer 3: Small dealer. No allocations. Stated that allocations won't open up until spring. Won't take my order now but did take name and number and call me to place order when they get word allocation is open. Selling at MSRP.
    3. Emailed Bob Frederick. Got immediate response. Will take order now ($2K) refundable up until build scheduled. Either travel out and pickup (9 to 10 hours each way for me) or have car shipped at my expense. Estimates 6 to 7 months out for delivery if ordered now. Seems like a SUPER decent guy and based on what I've read about Bob I think he would be an excellent person to work with. He definitely treats people with respect which is nice when you are spending a lot of money. Plus you know he is a car guy which is a bonus.
    Can anyone explain the entire process from when I actually place the order down through delivery. I see reference to codes etc (would help to understand them). I think the initial order when take is BA status. Why does this have to be so confusing? Take my money and give me a damn Hellcat LOL.

Thanks and looking forward sharing information and chatting with all of you.

2. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If I were you and wanted a car now,,I would start calling dealers that have them sitting on there lot that someone backed out of..There are a few dealers in Michigan that will sell at msrp,, find the one you want,, either fly out and drive it back,, or simply have it shipped..if I didn't have mine,I could probably have one before the end of the week

• Like Like x 1
  3. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    As I said in my post I have been doing that. The cars I have found that are available all have ADM and so far the dealers I've spoke with are not willing to sell at MSRP. I'm sure there are dealers with cars that will but so far I haven't found any of them.

4. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'd put an order in with one of your local dealers at MSRP but CONTINUE to shop and call around. Use a multipronged attack (tis what I'm doing). Once I get a VIN from my dealer, I'll stop my search but until then, if a black A8 cat is on a lot at MSRP...I'm pouncing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good advice and something I'm about to do. I'm getting close to placing an order either locally or with Bob F.

6. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What options and color are you looking for

7. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ideally it would be this...

Jazz Blue
    A8
    Navigation
    Black/Red seats
    Red belts

8. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The jazz blue is tough,, haven't seen much of them,, but I will look for you

• Like Like x 1
  9. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks. Appreciate it. Found one today (had the Laguna seats which I don't want but willing to take). GM is stuck on 5K over ADM (was 10K). I politely told him he has a buyer at MSRP and if he changes his mind he has my number. Found another one incoming. Dealer is going to auction on ebay.... A third coming dealer is going to sell to high bidder at the dealership.

I just don't do games or ADM period.

A8 is mandatory. Even though factory NAV stinks compared to Google navigation I want it in the car. I'll consider other colors/options if something arises. I do keep looking. Too bad the inventory status on Dodge.com is so bad. Many of the cars that say 'in transit' are delivered and sold!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steven_sbs

Steven_sbs Browncoats Unite Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have never met Bob F. Everything I have read about him on two different Challenger boards has been positive. I have nothing against him. I have also read he has anywhere from 5 to 40 other Hellcat orders already in front of you. You might want to really consider ordering from another dealer with a shorter waiting line. Having said that... The rumors of Bob F having so many orders could be wrong. If you ask him the direct question of how many in line before you, I bet he would answer. And if you do ask him, tell us what he says.

Here is the thread about order status codes: Dodge SRT Hellcat Order Status Codes SRT Hellcat Forum

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i found 1 for msrp last week and i found the one i bought for msrp 3 days later....they are out there.....they dont have flashing lights on them...you have to call and call, then work the salesman over and over......they arent just going to say...ok ill give you msrp

only a few have been lucky......i wouldnt order one if 6 months is where your looking.....Bob Federick is who id order one from if thats your route...hes been around a long time and been honest....i think he gets a lot of cars, so he will eventually fulfil your order

id completely forget about local...you wont get that lucky

call every car in the country weekly........

the guy i bought from i noticed was different because he negotiated a bit on the adm...none of the others attempted to....so i kept in contact with him and kept going back and forth....i think it helped me because it was a dealer in the middle of no where and in MI where its winter....

odds are its going to take months....id try weekly and keep trying...keep your eyes open here......the first one i tried for was listed here and i missed it by 2 days

picking a color like jazz blue is going to make your search 3-10x harder.....i wouldnt budge on my color either, so good luck to you!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. buddyg

buddyg Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you do order get it in writing that they will sell at MSRP. Verbal is no good. Call all Winter state dealers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ChallengerDad

ChallengerDad SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My Hellcat order is the second one I've placed with Bob Frederick. The first was for my '09 SRT8 which (aside from Chrysler going through bankruptcy in the process) went smoothly. Bob was straight up and saved every last bit of documentation, keeping me posted on the process the entire way. He preps the cars himself, and delivers with 2 miles on the odometer. I'll be driving to Columbiana CJD 8 hours each way to pick up my Hellcat. Dealing with Bob in the past made it an easy decision to place my Hellcat order with him. Yes, there's a bit of a wait, but it will be worth it when you get your cat with your name on the Monroney sticker.
    There are naysayers on every board about any dealership. One particular guys has an axe to grind with Bob (I can't imagine why), but none of his BS is based in fact - only speculation, so perhaps he's a competing dealer. Either way, if you can wait, order the Hellcat you want through Bob. :D

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks this is helpful information. Two of the local dealers seem very decent BUT it is posts like yours that really make me think Bob is the way to go. I'm also about 8 hours drive away (8 to 9). I really like dealing with somebody that is honest, has a proven track record and is also an enthusiast.

I just have to finalize my decision and place an order somewhere. Again, thank you for this information. It's very helpful to me!

• Like Like x 1
  15. ChallengerDad

ChallengerDad SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Glad to help. Bob is "no BS", and no "unkept promises". I personally know three other people who've ordered from him in the past. All were VERY happy with their experience.