Going Crazy!! Need some advice/help

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT 392' started by Exenden, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Exenden

Exenden Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Ok, I own 2 SRT Chargers, and one acts completely different than the other...

I bought a 2015 SRT 392 brand new (white) in Feb 2016 with only 700kms.
    I then bought a 2016 SRT 392 (black), identical options all around, in May 2016 with 0 kms. Had this one ordered...

Ok, I really need help with this...I drive both cars, mostly the 2015, and the 2016 on Mondays and Thursdays for both for my commute to work and daily tasks full time, they are my only cars I own. The black one is my wifes but I take on Mondays and Thursdays to my long commute to work and when we are together as a family for groceries, entertainment etc, to offload and spread the km usage...

I commute mostly hwy and live in my car. So I know them both...very well. The 2015 now has 15000 Kms, and the 2016 has 5000 kms to date. The 2015 nowhere near performs like the 2016. The horsepower feels less, the take off/launch feels less, the stability in shifting is not stable, it pretty much jitters or bucks especially in track when gearing up or down. When in eco, there is a delay in gas, which I thought normal, but the 2016 does not give off these behaviors at all.

What I just described is not noticeable as a "problem" but highly noticeable to me as I drive both cars. When I get into the 2016 for example, is the only time when I notice all the ailments of the 2015. You would not notice if you just drove the 2015. I have had the dealership look into, but they say without codes, nothing can be done. And when they took it for a "test drive", they said it was all normal and felt normal. These are things I notice, especially when I hop into the 2016, its just different.

I know, through and through, the two cars are significantly different in how they perform..period. I have done further research and apparently no changes at all have been made between the two years, they are identical cars. What can I do, or can someone translate what it is I am experiencing?

I will say that after having the 2015, after only two weeks, the car went into limp mode, service engine soon light came on, and they had to replace the crank shaft sensor due to this. Since then my transmission, 2 times, has had an issue where once starting the car and putting into drive, it would not get out of first gear, until I turned car off, opened door to kill constant power, then turned back on, then the transmission would shift "normally" again. I let the dealership know this, and again, without codes, nothing can be done. They have also "updated everything" software wise to current spec....

Please help....

2. Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    That IS very strange and wish I could help. With the '15 maybe there is only a matter of time before a code does pop up. I have the '16 SRT and absolutely love it and have had zero issues thus far after 4000 miles. I hope you figure it out!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Is there something with adaptive that need to be done

4. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Had the same thing with a pair of BMW X5 50i's, a 2014 and 2015.

Got myself a beauty of a metallic black, mocha leather '14 as a new leftover at a fabulous price. Was happy for all of 3 days. My wife fell in love with it. Soooo...it was then her daily driver. I took her 35i twin turbo V6 for about 3 months. Damn, need a V8!

I went out and got a '15 50i as all the leftover 14's were gone. Got white with mocha, same options, only change being an "upgrade" to the tranny according to the factory.

Not the same :oops:! The 14 growled, accelerated, and kicked it sweet while the 15 felt noticably less aggressive and less fun. Both had the same twin turbo V8's. I drove it for about 7,000 miles, all the time staring at the black beauty that my wife would not let go of. Ended up trading the white one for another ride, wife still has the fabulous 14.

It was surprising to me when I felt the difference between the 2 vehicles. At first I thought it was break-in but after thousands of miles I realized they were indeed different experiences.

I wonder if the same holds true with our Hellcats :eek::eek::eek:.

5. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    sell the slower one and upgrade

6. MattG

MattG Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    You bought the 15 used? So ask to see the dealer history. Maybe it had problems with the previous owner.
    If it can't be retrieved, ask for the previous owner to find out what the car did when they owned it.
    You have it for only 90 days. What about warranty? Maybe you can do something with that at the dealer.

Maybe your have one that always had issues. I wish you well with this.

Matt

7. Exenden

Exenden Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392

The 2015 was bought brand new. It only had 700 km. Some of those km were from 3 of my test drives, one test drive alone I did was almost 150 km trip.

It got to a point now where my wife came to me and said.." I was afraid to tell you this all along, but I think something is wrong with your car. It doesn't feel as "strong" as mine (strong,lol)..and it doesn't sound as loud as mine.."

Now I know I'm not going crazy, my wife has no clue about cars, horse power, can't even tell the difference between high Def TV and standard Def TV if they were even side by side. Anyone have some insight on this? How can I get the dealer to realize a significant difference. If it was slight I would drop it, motor could have been built on a Monday, I get it, but this one is really noticeable, to the point where even my wife notices. It just bothers me everyone, especially when I get into hers. Just spent tons of money and have this black mark on one of the cars, not cool. Thanks so much.

8. srtjay

srtjay Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I've never heard of a new car having over 400 miles on it before purchase. I've also never heard of a dealership allowing 90+ mile test drives. What country are you in where dealerships allow that much test driving of a car without either designating it a test demo vehicle or discounting it significantly due to the wear and tear of people beating on it during test drives. I've also never heard of one with 0 miles on it either, fwiw.

As far as it not being as loud or seeming as strong, have you checked the catalytic converters to ensure one of them isn't clogged? That would cut down both the noise and the exhaust flow which maybe accounts for some of it. Also check the intake air box to make sure nothing's clogging the filter.

Did your dealer investigate and check the injectors, spark plugs, oil, fuel rail, and the other obvious things?

9. Exenden

Exenden Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    The car was a demo, because they sold it as a "Stormtrooper Edition" they had a promo with Cineplex theaters and had the car debut at the premiere of the new Star Wars movie and those who tagged a pic with it could win some prize package...It was a good deal, sold to me as new and the warranty started at the kms I purchased it at...

To give off a few more details, it seems the constant effect this car is exhibiting is a form of bucking and jerking when gearing down, accelerating from coasting there is a weird delay in gas, and when shifting from 3rd to 4th specifically it gives a shake and the noise the motor makes is like a jerking noise like a "(3rd)vrooooooooooooooom (shift into 4th) vroom-vrooooooooooooooom"...Pathetic description I know lol....The other gears shift solid. My other SRT does not do any of this. I did some reading and the mention of the crank shaft sensor has been brought up a few times. Could this loss of power and jerking (especially in track mode), be from the crank shaft sensor issue I had previously? maybe there was another issue surrounding it that the dealership missed? I also did the resonator removal on both SRTs. Could something have gone wrong when the removal on this car was done? Anything that could give me a lead to the dealership...the dealership is saying "no code..no warranty work" which is total bull! This car does not run like my other. Thanks again to all for the replies!!!

10. Exenden

Exenden Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    What does adaptive mean?

11. Teo

Teo Judge Yooper

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Computer adjusts its parameters for your driving habits.:cool:

It truly means: BIG Brother is --------------- Always Watching!! :eek:o_O:p:D

12. Exenden

Exenden Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Ok wanted to give an update. So I stood my ground and the dealership had reset the adaptive and made a clutch adjustment and boom! The bucking stopped. So that was good. But now the only issue that remains which is a concern is the specific 3rd to 4th shift while in track mode. It always stutters and stutters the same way. My 2016 Srt does not. I did notice last night, if I set custom options all to track, but put traction control setting to street or sport, the 3rd to 4th shift is smooth. Again, my 2016 srt in track mode has smooth shifting throughout. If someone told me that the 2015 and 2016 392 srt were completly different, then I would be cool. Just worried I have a transmission problem that will surface later. Any ammunition to take to dealership that anyone can give me? This forum really helped so far suggesting the adaptive! Thanks to all so far!!!