Going to a road course....Any tips?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Racing Forum' started by Just4Fun, May 17, 2015.

1. Just4Fun

Just4Fun Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'll be taking the Charger to Gingerman Raceway in South Haven Michigan in early June. I have no road course experience. They will rent the track to me and hook me up with a Pro Driver, he'll sit shotgun and help me out. I think his instruction is going to be VERY helpful. We'll have the track to ourselves.
    I raced Moto Cross back in the 70's and early 80's, so I have some idea about picking lines ect.....
    But, I don't expect much or any of those experiences to transfer here.
    Do any of you have any tips or suggestions?

2. Nycsrt

Nycsrt BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Follow turn in points and hit every Apex squeeze brakes hard on turn on and full gas on turn out but has to be blended so car don't go 180

3. Next Phase

Next Phase Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Biggest advice is that it's not a race... You will be passed (if permitted) and that's okay. Check your ego at the door.

You are there to learn the car and the track and to have fun AND most importantly drive your car home with you.

Unless you have specific track insurance, you'll be responsible for any accidents financially .

Your instructor will probably start by teaching you the lines of the track and as you get those down, they'll add other things to focus on....like threshold braking, etc.

Once you've had some seat time, I'd ask to get a ride with the instructor driving OR someone with some experience so you can see how they take the track and certain turns. Some tracks like VIR have a number of lines that you can take for some of the turns.

I think you'll have a blast learning the limits of adhesion and catching the rear end with the steering inputs / throttle. Please post up after the event!

4. Just4Fun

Just4Fun Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    We will probably have the track to ourselves, so passing won't be an issue. If not, I hear you loud and clear, great advice!
    The idea here is to have fun and enjoy the car. But I'd like to push the car a bit if possible. I do not have visions of grandeur, I'm 57, too old to get too crazy.
    Be safe and have fun!

I'm guessing I should just put it in Track Mode???

5. Next Phase

Next Phase Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've only been on a track with my Viper and Ariel Atoms, so I don't have advice on the HC. I'd keep it in track mode and have the traction control and any stability mode left on at first. I don't know your skill level....maybe by the end of the track day you will get cleared to go solo and turn off the nannies.

Be careful...you may get hooked. It's an expensive hobby...lol

P.S. not sure how hard you are pushing it...may want to swap the brake fluid also.

6. Hattrick

Hattrick Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    57! Drive it to its limits. With age comes experience. Paul Newman comes to mind. You will be at the safest place to enjoy your Cat. Then you will feel confident on the street and know how far you can push it.

7. jim

jim Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i took my Cat to Blackhawk Farms last Wednesday. a couple of problems keep an eye on your power steering fluid it may leak alittle on the valve cover.
    i have power stop pads they didnt like high speed braking . 125 down to 60 hard would give me break fade. should have brought the stock pads to see if they would be better. next time. other than that it was a great time. car info shows make g's in the turns are 1.1 left and right. i had it in race mode, with traction control on.

8. jim

jim Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    one more thing watch your gas gauge. if it goes less than 1/4 put gas in it. dont wait i ran out lol.

9. tsc

tsc SRT Hellcat Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The brake fade from high speed hard braking does not surprise me at all. The Hawk HPS pads we had on our 2010s did the same thing. The Brembos would have much less, if any, fade with the only consequence being brake dust all over the wheels.

Just like with tires, there is always a compromise somewhere.. You throw on pads with less dust and they just won't perform as well as the stock Brembos. May be 'fine' on the street for normal driving without high speed hard braking but it will be seen on a track..

10. sspano01

sspano01 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Use the BLACK key only

11. rw99

rw99 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Lots to think about, and maybe that's recommendation #1: you don't learn it all at once. So listen to the instructor, work on the basics, and repeat, repeat, repeat.

Short list beyond that:

2) Homework. YouTube or XBox/PlayStation the track and get the layout in your head. Find some good laps from Challengers/Camaros to demonstrate the line... what you observe from a Miata won't match what's right for your GargantuaCar.

3) Eyes up. Keep 'em moving and well ahead of you; the car goes where you're looking, for better or for worse. You're looking into the future, and your vision ahead gives you time to process.

4) Smooth throttle. Especially with high HP/TQ RWD, you need to squeeze the throttle as you unwind steering... no abrupt applications. Treating the go pedal like a light switch will lead to spin city and off-track excursions.

5) Drive out to the exit. Even when off pace, such as during the out-lap, drive the line all the way out to the exit berm. "Pinching off" an exit, with inappropriate throttle, is another recipe for the tail swapping ends.

6) If you're considering more track days, I'd swap to a DOT4 brake fluid such as Motul RBF600.

Have a great time. If you have any concerns re: potential damage and insurance coverage, companies like Lockton offer track day insurance for stated value.

Rich