Goodbye SRT392 Challenger, Hello Hellcat

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by Aus Eclipse, May 4, 2015.

1. Aus Eclipse

Aus Eclipse Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Since nobody likes Mondays, my wife and I decided that would be a perfect day to drive from Texas over to Louisiana to trade in our SRT392 Challenger and take delivery of our new Charger Hellcat. We wanted to change to a Charger more for family reasons to give more room for the kids in the back seat. But we both loved the Challenger so much we found it hard to come to grips with the look of the Charger.

So we were a bit nervous going to get it, I never placed an order (as I am an expat and only here for 2 more years), so in March I decided to look for one at a dealer or In Transit. Took 3 weeks but I found one (well I found many but the mark up was too high or they had sunroof, which is unacceptable to tall guys). If I had orderd one I would have went for White or Billet Silver, but these things are so hard to find at the right price I had to compromise. The Charger I settled on is Granite Crystal, Brass Monkey wheels (which I was worried would not match Granite, but it looks good, in fact even though this colour was a accident, once we saw it in person we both thought it looked fantastic). Dealer was very good I must say, even threw in 20% tint all round into the deal.

What about driving it, well the first freeway onramp I went up, I got on the gas a bit, all I can say is that it is violent power compared to the 392, the noise of the Supercharger surprised me so much I backed off a bit. Apart from that, the interior is a big improvement, the reversing camera and blind spot sensors are great additions to the car. The handling impressed me as well, very smooth and boy does it stay flat when you are in a corner. Cruising on the HWY, the engine is just above idle. My wife seemed to go crazy the most about the exhaust, I am trying to cruise sensibly at around 80mph with the cruise on, but she is complaining me saying , "honey make the noise again" (thats her code for the exhaust and supercharger whine).

I found you have to use Cruise or look at the speedo regularly, somehow the car diguises the speed. 60mph feels like 40mph, 80mph feels like 55mph. We are both very happy with the car, it is a comfortable roomy family size car, just when you put your foot down (or even when you push the Start button) you realise and everyone around you realises what is hiding under the bonnet. On the test drive with the dealer we pulled into a gas station to put in 93 octane, one guy came running over begging to be able to take a photo, 3 other guys pulled in in a truck and their heads spun around so quickly its a wonder their necks didn't break. So its a dude magnet thats for sure.

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. CPRHDSRT

CPRHDSRT Pontiac Bred ................. SRT Addicted Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats on your new family hot rod - please post up some pics. Would like to see how the BMs look with the GC.

3. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats on the car..pictures please,, and are you selling it in two years,, you said something about leaving??

4. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats..nice write up. Hope my Mrs. likes the S/C whine as well...lol

5. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    How can anyone not like the supercharger whine,, that and the exhaust there is no need for a radio, lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Hellcat83

Hellcat83 Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats! Agreed, pics if you can!

7. Aus Eclipse

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Sure folks not to worry I will get a few photos up in the next couple of days. The funny thing is the most important part of the car for my wife is usually the stereo, so get this, she made me turn the stereo off for most of the trip home so she could listen to the sweet song of the Hellcat Exhaust with the Supercharger on backing vocals.

Note - Yes, I am an Australian expat, maybe the first Aussie to own a Hellcat, will be here for about another 2 years, so late in 2017 this Hellcat will have to be sold when I leave the country. Based on my very low mileage per year (I walk to work so the car is not a commuter) , I estimate it will only have 15000 miles on it by then, my Challeger SRT392 only had 12500 miles on it when I traded it today so I got a competitive price for it (I got it in Aug 2012 so about 2.5yrs old)

8. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Can you ship the car home

9. Ironside

Ironside Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just come to Canada, it's pretty well the same as Australia, just a little colder and has way less animals that can kill you!

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. 440 Superbee

440 Superbee Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats on picking up your Hell Baby! Enjoy that Cat to the max. And as others have said, pics with Granite Crystal and BM's rims are a must see.

11. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Australia won't allow left hand drive cars to be registered

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats! You'll like the granite it looks so good clean and in the sun

13. Aus Eclipse

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Hellcat 7.jpg Hellcat 6.jpg Hellcat 8.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 5
  14. Aus Eclipse

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Ok folks you wanted to see GC with the Brass Monkey. I was not sure if they would match, but in person it looks quite good. Note no number plate on the front and 20% Tint all round. Let me know what you guys and gals think.

15. Next Phase

Next Phase Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats and enjoy!