GoPro stock tumbles Apple wins mounting camera patent

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Carnage, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Source Mashable

GoPro stock plummets after Apple granted patent for mounted cameras
    Apple may have just shoved GoPro's stock off a cliff.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    GoPro's stock fell 12% on Tuesday, following a report that Apple had been granted a patent for a mounted digital camera system similar to the devices that GoPro produces.

Patently Apple reports that the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office granted Apple nearly three dozen patents on Tuesday related to the camera system, dating back to filings from 2012. According to the publication, the patents specifically note "weaknesses" in GoPro's devices.

Apple declined to comment on the patents. Reps for GoPro did not immediately respond to our request for comment.

filed to go public last May, the company highlighted a number of risk factors including the fact that "substantially all" of its revenue came from video camera devices, which could face competition from any number of device manufacturers including companies like Apple.

Some analysts were quick to point out on Tuesday the significantly detrimental impact Apple's plans could have on GoPro.

"I think that it will have about the same impact on GoPro as the iPhone has had on camera makers and that impact is that there are fewer cameras sold but the number isn't zero," Michael Paachter, an analyst with Wedbush Securities, told Reuters.

That said, it is worth remembering that Apple patents many, many ideas that it never actually pursues.

GoPro stock has dipped in recent days, but it ended the day at just shy of $50, more than double its IPO price from June.

2. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for reminding me as I own GPRO stock:(

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    LOL sorry haha

I plan to pickup a apple camera when it comes out

4. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Apple patents everything...they have a patent on rounded corners on a phone. Though I blame the stupid government for granting the silly patents. Apple is just playing the game within the rules

• Agree Agree x 1