got my HC back from getting Xpel put on--my experiences

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by huggytree, Mar 21, 2015.

1. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just got my HC back this morning from getting the clear bra put on.....i did my GMC 2-3 weeks ago with a different intaller(had issues with him, so he didnt get my hc----had to take it back 2x for repairs)

anyways...my HC looked good when i picked it up.....better than the guy i used for my GMC....then i put my HC up on a lift and saw bubbles on almost every panel on the sides....1 panel is horrible....none of this was visible from normal viewing height....so all you guys putting this stuff on make sure you put it on a lift or lay on the ground and look over your sides....you can also feel some of the bubbles if its bad enough(mine are)---the guy is local, so he's coming over in a hour or so to fix it here......he's working on my gt500 right now and going to take a break....

sounds like this stuff is difficult to install....since 2 installers in a row had issues.....if you have it done spend time looking it over from every angle......my new guy i can tell is much better at it...the front bumper and hood is flawless......with all those angles......the sides where its just flat---not as good...kinda odd

on the hood and bumper its almost invisible...staring at the car from the front you cant see the hood or bumper lines....the sides are a different story...they are extremely visible...across that big/huge flat door you can easily see the line from every angle.....im told it has more to do with the color(sublime)....he says on red its invisible from every angle........my gt500 has that side stripe down low, so i assume the door issue will be invisible on it.......

i dont mind the line showing....they will show on every HC challenger w/ xpel.....but if your anal you may not like it.....micro chips all over the sides of your car dont look good either...

my gt500 has 4500 miles on it and the sides are sandblasted.....right under the gt500 side stripes there's thousands of mini/micro chips in the clear....not visible unless you are bent over....xpel is supposed to hide those.....its also supposed to hide micro swirls.....

i have 350 miles on my HC....i strongly recommend you guys all look into this quickly....dont get 4,500 miles and have a chipped up car like my gt500......spend $1200 and get it done quickly

id post some pics, but i dont think any of it will show.

• Useful Useful x 2
  2. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My experience with installing film on a few vehicles is that if the bubble is water it will disappear over time. If it is air it will not, you have to vacuum it out with a syringe.

3. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    guy just came over....some was water bubbles, some was air....he said he worked on it last night until 11pm and his wife yelled for him to come inside....the last panels he did was where most of the issues were...he took 15 mins and fixed what was needed...probably 75% of the bubbles were water bubbles which he also said would disappear by tomorrow

i plan on putting xpel on every car i own from now on....it just makes sense

4. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry to hear there were issues. Thanks for sharing.

5. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    its not an issue if its resolved

nothing is ever perfect---it really looks good and in a few years when im parked next to someone who didnt clear bra their car it will show badly on the doors