Greetings from the Pine Tree State

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by pinetreecat, Aug 27, 2015.

1. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi folks,

It took me a few months of lurking and reading this site and other sites before I officially became a HC.ORG member end of May. And now it took nearly 3 more months before I posted an introductory thread, but at your invitation: here it is finally!

For those of you living outside of New England ( a very pretty part of these United States I may add) the "pine tree state" is the great state of Maine. And, according to the latest numbers posted by HC.ORGs resident expert ResumeSpeed is home to some 16 Hellcats to date. I'm hoping to be the 17th car delivered around the first of October if everything stays on schedule.

My Hellcat saga actually began a few years ago when I recently saw my kids move away and looked around wondering when I last purchased a CAR (not a truck). That last car purchase for me was in 1986 when I ordered a new Porsche 911 coupe straight from the factory in Stuttgart Germany. If my memory was correct, the car was delivered in 9 weeks. A great automobile I enjoyed it (rowing gears is the only way to drive a 911) for 8 years then sold it. The car had an MSRP at the time of just over $35K.....

My how times have changed. The MSRP has nearly doubled now to the monster we know and love today and actually is appears the dry weight of the car has doubled as well. Perhaps we are paying by the pound in this case....LOL!

My Challenger HC order consisted of driving a quarter mile down to my long time friend who has sold me many Dodge Plymouth and Jeep vehicles over the years. As we have all tried to do, I want to keep my business local and with friendly professional people. Although my guy has sold many SRT vehicles in the past, they were not on the Viper bandwagon when it was offered years back although they did order and sell Vipers in years since.

They are small town market zoned dealers here in New England and they were up front with me that they had no allocation but would take my order. In spite of them insisting that I needed no deposit down, I happily gave them one when they printed of my POC on 9/9/14 11:04 am EST. I was issued a VON, went to BX status and waited for word from FCA as to when and if the order would get picked up by Dodge. The Zone rep got back to me in May asking if I'd be willing to switch my order to an M6 but I had the pleasure of rowing gears before in the Porsche and this time my mind would be made up: A8 or nothing. The rep replied I'd probably be in the 2016 production run as there was nearly no more automatics coming from Dodge for this year.

But after reading the informed opinions here, including RS's comments that "some new A8s" would be built toward the end of the production run, I decided to hold out for the car I ordered. On July 16, D status arrived with the A8 and all the options I ordered on the original VON.

So now its a matter of watching Brampton do its thing and the shipping companies do their thing. In the meantime I've enjoyed occasionally contributing to this community where and if I feel I can add something (keeping in mind its better to be "thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and prove it...").

I've enjoyed the replies, ratings and everything else; particularly from Snappycat, Intercooler, Professor X. Some day maybe we will be in one spot with our cars and you can say: HEY YOUR THE DUDE FROM MAINE!.

Maybe I'll have a trunk full of Maine Lobster for y'all.

I have a sister just outside of Atlanta Georgia and think that will be one of my first car trips scheduled Spring of 2016. I'm sure if you see a Granite Challenger HC rolling with Maine plates you'll be able to spot me behind the wheel. I have a series of vanity plates on a piece of paper but here in the Pine Tree State you cannot order them until you have your car registered first, so I am not sure what the plate will read yet, but will post a pic in a few months when I have them in my hands.

As for Dodge history, I have only driven them since 1989. Sadly while there where some of my friends back in the Day with a few Dusters, Darts, Swingers and Cuda's, there where a hell of a lot more bow-tie muscle cars up here before then. Meanwhile my first car was a '68 Mercury Comet Coupe 2 door donated to me by my grandmother when it was only 8 years old with 11568 original miles on it. I promptly ripped the straight 6 200 CID engine out of it and installed a BOSS 302.....

Next muscle car after that was an '80 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am (that was the Indy Pace car that year). Then came the '86 Porsche. Then a wife, kids, the dog.......no more car for me for nearly 30 years until I take possession of the Hellcat.

Anyway here's a list of Dodge and Plymouth Vehicles. I had great luck and very little maintenance on any of these vehicles.
    89 Plymouth Voyager AWD
    90 Dodge Ramcharger (I still have it today)
    91 Dodge Ram 3/4 Ton truck Cummings (the first year of the automatic/Cummings D)
    98 Dodge Ram 1/2 Ton
    09 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton
    13 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton Hemi

Quick story on the Dodge Cummings: 227,000 plus miles on it: Service history: one rear brake rotor, 2 speed sensors, one serpintine belt. Thats it, other than oil changes, brake shoes and tires. Quite the long term vehicle. I'd probably still have it if the rust hadn't started to take over so much.

You may be wondering why all the trucks: we receive over 140" of snow each year anytime after December 1st and usually going through most of April. My car will be under a car cover during those months and this forum has already given me some cool ideas to add to the HC while we are hibernating.

Good luck to all of you and god bless!

• Like Like x 1
  2. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello, pinetree, and welcome! I enjoyed reading your intro, and I am looking forward to seeing the pics of your Cat when it arrives! :)

April

3. chuck

chuck Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great post glad to read it was very good, nice information happy to meet you

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fionn MacCumhaill

Fionn MacCumhaill Irish A'Hole - Wanna Fight About It!? Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello Pinetreecat! I would like to extend a warm welcome to the forums to you! I used to live in VT. and actually broke both my arms at Sugarloaf ski resort back in 2001 snowboarding through the freestyle park lol. That was a great year for snow in New England, I think Jay Peak reported 520" that year! Anyways, congratulations on your soon to be new awesome Hellcat! Maybe once you get it you can sneak onto the old Loring Air Force Base in Limestone and take a WOT run down one of the air strips! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. cereal killer

cereal killer Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome Pinetreecat!!! Thanks for FIANLLY dropping in and introducing yourself :) Enjoy the site, its great to have you hear!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Actually Loring holds 2 events per year officially sanctioned standing mile runs: the surface is so good (and the runoff so long) that people from Bonneville head here annually to tune up for the record runs at The Salt Flats. I'm running in the May event with the 'Cat provided I have 3k MI on her by then.

Great website thanks to you and I appreciate the welcome. If I get back to TX (been to San Antonio once- great town!) I'll let you know.

• Like Like x 2
  7. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm sure the Grey won't look as nice as Dante but it works for me! Thanks for the welcome April.

8. FireLane

FireLane SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome to the forum!

• Like Like x 1
  9. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Don't sell the Granite Crystal short, just wait until you see it! I had not seen that color before so did not even consider it for my HC, but then my husband, Marty, and I went to a forum meet and greet this past April and I got to see the granite in person. It was a very overcast day, with off and on rain sprinkles ... and that Granite sparkled like crazy even in those lighting/weather conditions. Marty liked Granite so much after seeing it that he ordered his new RAM in Granite. I think you will love it! :)

April

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome aboard pinetreecat. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ljaviation

ljaviation Self proclaimed Banned, Because I can.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome PTC. Lot's of good stuff here and some irrelevant posts from me.
    Lot''s of good people here.
    L J