Greetings, New Guy Here

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by Blackdevil77, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Blackdevil77

Blackdevil77 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Hi all,

I'm a long time American car/muscle car lover and currently own a 2014 Shelby GT500, which I LOVE. Only thing I don't love is I don't get to drive it as much as I'd like to. Prior to owning the Shelby, I owned a Pontiac G8 GT, which I modded quite extensively. Unfortunately that killed the drivability and reliability, and it still wasn't as fast as my stock Shelby. But it was relatively practical, and I was able to drive it every day, all year round. It looks like with the Charger Hellcat, I may be able to have a car as practical as my G8 was, being able to drive it every day all year round, AND still have the performance of my 2014 Shelby GT500. I'm not a fanboy of GM, Ford, Dodge etc, I'm a fan of American Muscle. I love my Shelby, I like the ZL1, and now I've been gushing over the new hellcats. How can you not love these cars?

I know it's gonna be hard to not have some biased opinions, being a Charger/Challenger forum, but what do you guys think of my idea? Will I regret trading the Shelby for a Charger Hellcat? Is it a dumb idea?

I look forward to seeing those of you who get this car take delivery and post about it on here. Depending on what my car is worth when these hit dealerships, dealerships willingness to work with me and further reviews on the car, I just might be joining you all.

2. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey welcome, I had to clean up your post it had a bit too many links linking external sites but it's all good now. Enjoy your stay

3. tsc

tsc SRT Hellcat Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Like you, I have no brand loyalty (though all of my car purchases since 2010 happen to be Dodge) -- I've owned cars from US, German and Japanese manufacturers. About the only manufactures I haven't owned a car from is Korean, though there are 3 Hyundai's in my family and those are great cars in their own right, too.

That said, already having a HC Challenger and a HC Charger on order... the Challenger is already a bit more practical than the Shelby in that you can have rear seat passengers (unless you put passengers in the rear seats that have amputated legs, I'm sure you already know they're not going to fit) and lots more trunk space. This will be magnified even more with the Charger, having 4 doors, and would be much more like your G8.

The HC Charger can be driven year round in nearly all conditions if you don't opt for the summer tires and stick with the all-season tires. As long as you like the looks, you get tons of practicality, and a metric crap ton of power/torque for a relatively cheap price. Good gas mileage too, if you care about that and can keep your foot out of it (I've gotten 25 on the highway in the HC Challenger).

Bottom line, nobody can make the choice but you.. but based on what you describe, I think you'll be satisfied with the Charger. :D

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Blackdevil77

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the response. That's what I'm hoping, it seems like it would be a much more comfortable ride for a daily, yet just as fast in a straight line. Hopefully a little faster. Handling seems like its somewhat similar with the shelby having the edge. I'll take that hit for a more practical car. Only thing I'm afraid I'll really miss is stick shift.

5. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome! Glad you joined, there is great information on this site and can help you in your decision. Those are two totally different cars, but I can tell you that I loved my Charger and it was only an R/T. It was my daily driver and it was luxury with a little muscle. The Hellcat Charger is luxury with a lot of wicked muscle!! I am brand loyal so, I am not going to say in any fairness that you will love the Charger more than your Shelby. They really are different cars with different purposes. I do think that you will agree the Charger would be your "go to" car for kick a$$ everyday driving and making that commute just a little bit more fun! ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome

I have a Hellcat Challenger on order was built 12/4/14 I will have it by spring. Going to trade in a 2012 SRT8 Challenger.

I also own a GT500 Shelby convertible no way I would ever ever trade in the Sheby for a Challenger. I may for the Viper but never a Challenger. There are at least 2 others on the forum that own Shelbys and Hellcats.

See if you can find somebody that has a Hellcat and will take you for a ride, then make the call but they are very different cars. The Shelby drives smaller and the Challenger drives like big car. The Challenger is far more useful, comfortable and more of an every day car. But I have a truck for that. good luck with your choice

• Like Like x 1
  7. CPRHDSRT

CPRHDSRT Pontiac Bred ................. SRT Addicted Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome to the forum - lots of great, knowledgeable people here with some insiders as well.

I too have owned GM (mostly Pontiacs) and Japanese (Acura) makes for daily drivers but must say that I enjoy driving my 2013 SRT Charger each and every day far beyond any previous. It now has 29K miles on it and drives like new. Superb blend of power, handling, technology and comfort (lots of room for sure). Lots of "smiles per gallon" indeed - oh and the MPGs are pretty nice too if you can manage to keep your foot out of it. I average around 20 in mixed driving. Understand - one might miss the stick but it is a daily driver so you might appreciate it (when you've only moved 300 yards in 30 minutes at rush hour). Definitely agree with earlier post - don't get the 3 season tires if you live near snow.

Good luck with your decision. I can't wait for the upgrade to HC version but that will be a little while longer for me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blackdevil77

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you all for the replies. It's definitely a tough decision. I feel like I'll miss certain things about the Shelby, but even driving the Shelby, there are certain things I miss about my Pontiac G8 GT, comfort and practicability being a couple of them. There are times I do miss an auto also, and other times I want to drive stick shift. I'd love to own both cars to satisfy both sides.

Interesting. The Shelby is a very special car. I'd certainly like a ride in a Hellcat, that could either make the decision easier or more difficult lol. I'd like to hear from the others on here that own both the Shelby and a Hellcat.

I asked the same question to Carlos Lago, who tested the 2013 GT500 both the Challenger and Charger Hellcats. When I told him my situation and I asked him if I'd miss my GT500, he said "Nope" without hesitation. He didn't elaborate, however.

• Like Like x 1
  9. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Huggytree has both, may want to drop him a line...

10. Blackdevil77

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks, I'll send him a message

11. TURNERZ

TURNERZ Rocket Science for the Road

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Blackdevil77,

Welcome to a great forum!

Tons of great people on this site with lots of diverse car experience.

Turnerz

• Agree Agree x 1