Grooves in tires

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Aarcuda, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So I saw another post on here about an odd groove in the tires on a hellcat that the guy thought might be rubbing on the control arm. Several others chimed in saying they have the samer exact groove in the same exact place but they all had plenty of clearance between tire and control arm bolt.

I looked at two tires I recently removed from my car and I have the same groove in both of them as well. I know my tires arent rubbing on the control arm. One of the tires was on the rear and the other on the front. both have the groove.

I had the tires road force balanced. Could the balancer which places a load on the tire be causing the groove?

2. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Pictures image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attached Files:

3. Garfield

Garfield Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't know anything about force Ballancers so no clue there.. But if it works how I suspect I would be strange to not have it on all 4 tires. Being in the tread it's def not the sway bar.. The groves are not linear they are curvy which to me indicates the tire is under load and flexing. Are both tires on the same side of the car? The tires are super soft. I could see something like that happening from a concrete highway with a sharp grove. But if it's both tires on same side of the car I'd be looking for something in the roads I'm driving. But the odds you would only have one grove wouldn't be possible then cause no one could drive that straight. Unless it was just one small section you happened to hit just right. Id rotate tires and see if it happens again.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  4. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Seems like a bad batch of perelli's went out, I haven't checked my cat lately but i'll try and remember tonight.

5. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Lot of speculation but nothing definitive yet. The upper a-arm ball joint stud and nut is right above the location that is being marked on the tire. I'm not sure how it could ever contact the tire since it moves up and down with the tire. Perhaps in an extreme cornering condition? Have you had your car on a road course?

edited to add...... are you saying the grooved rear tire has NEVER been on the front of the car?

6. Garfield

Garfield Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Looking at the pictures again it's identical markings but not in the exact same spot. One is almost center of the blocks and the other is 3/4" more to the edge of the blocks., it's not a contact issue on the car or they would be in the exact same area. It's not a bad tire cause that wouldn't show up in the middle of a tread block unless it was always there since day one. Giving the variance for front to rear track widths I bet it's pretty close to 1/2 the amount of difference in track. I'm pretty set on the fact you likely ran over something while driving.

Edit... I'm out of town and can't look.. That control arm doesn't have a castle nut with a cotter pin does it? If so could be the way the pin is bent maybe? But generally that would be on the top side facing away from the tire too?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  7. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    no castle nuts or cotter pins. And one of my tires was on the rear where there is nothing near the tire like on the front

8. CNYHC

CNYHC SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The control arm bolt is further inboard and couldn't make that mark on all four of my tires, summer, have a slight indented ridge on them. I wonder if it has something to do with the assembly line, shipping tie downs perhaps, but I don't see how it could happen when driving the car.

9. Garfield

Garfield Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had the thought about shipping too? But he made it sound as though it just happened not that it's always been there so I ruled that out. its also too uniform to be man made like placement of a strap. It's also not uniform enough to be from some sort of machine. That's why I asked if both tires were on the same side of the car cause the only option left then is running something over. The fact that the marks are identical but not int the same spot seconds that. As the track if the front and rear tires is not the same so if both tires ran over something I would expect to see exactly what I am.

10. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hidden Hellcat laser cutter. Code name CATSIG. We all have them.

I have six 275/40 PZeros, all have been on the front of my car, two new on a road course plus 250 street miles, two for 500 miles break-in street, two for 5000 miles. Four came on the car 2/15, two were purchased 8/15.

All six have these same marks. I gave up attempting to figure it out. My road course set will get worn down next year, I will keep an eye on them.

11. graybear

graybear Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If all the tires have them I would guess that the tire molds that the tires are made in are the culprit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NorCaletch19He77Kat

NorCaletch19He77Kat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    molding grooves--forget about it