GT500 Rumors

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by hellcat1, Oct 13, 2015.

1. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So I was surfing the web and came across rumors of a new GT500, What there saying is fords working on a eco boost 5.0, that will be the first production car ever to run in the 9s from the factory...All I can say is the next two years are really going to be interesting

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. TinCuda

TinCuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That should be interesting, a gt500 turbo. Might be something to see.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Those flat plane's don't take to kindly to forced induction

4. Dubya

Dubya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm laughing, I had this convo with a couple of fellas at work today. The only thing consistent about GT500 rumors is that they are all different. Ford needs to hurry up and get it on the road, they're making their fanboys look like idiots.

5. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Twin turbo 5.0.... not the flat plane

6. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ford is very comfortable in using turbo technology in it's cars, you will see a swing in the auto industry to smaller displacements and turbos, CTS-V , GT 500 , just hope Dodge is not late in the game as lots of government imposed laws are in the works. Look up Shelby Code Red to see what was in testing a few years back.
    TC

7. TinCuda

TinCuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It burns my tongue to say it, but other than it sounding like a leaf blower, the code red really is pretty cool.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  8. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Fuel economy should be really good, but it will never have the exhaust note that a muscle car should have. I hope, for their own sake, they use a turbo that has minimal lag. I hated the turbo lag in my old car, and it had a small Mitsubishi turbo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Like I said,, the next two years are going to be interesting, how will dodge trump this,, what are GMs plans...

10. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    To be honest, I don't see fuel economy being the issue...it's going to be passing the strict emissions requirements. Let's be real here...we didn't purchase this car for good fuel economy LOL. Let's be happy it actually has an economy mode...not that I ever use it LOL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The only confirmed statements from Ford are "power will be north of 700hp" and "the GT500 will be a 2017 model release", and that's all they have said.

Rumors are that we might see a twin turbo Eco-Boost. The rumor comes from the fact that there have been pictures and statements from Ford about a twin turbo Eco-Boost in the works, but they never specified which vehicle(s) it might go in, if approved. The rumor mill is attributing it to the next GT500, which makes sense.

In reality, we all know Shelby won't allow anyone to dominate them on paper. Just like a couple years ago, the day AFTER Chevy announced the numbers on their prized Camaro ZL1, Ford dropped the bomb with bigger HP numbers. I would expect to see 750-775hp on paper from them, just so that they can take the title of "highest HP from the factory in US history" from Dodge. Then hopefully the next year Dodge will reply with some slight tweaking and bring the Hellcat up to 800hp... if the HC lives that long.

Whatever happens, we know that the flagship Shelby never gets an automatic transmission, and as a former GT500 owner myself I can attest to the fact that unless you're John Force, you're never going to launch one well at all. So whatever numbers Ford and a professional driver can pull from the car, we may never see that in the real world.

If Shelby goes against their own rule though, and makes an automatic... we'll be in deep shit. The Shelby will likely be 300-500lbs lighter in weight, and a lot more power stock for stock.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. 1949chopper

1949chopper NC STATE PRESIDENT Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The new gt40 is getting a twin turbo ecoboost 6 cylinder with 600+ horse. For the bargain basement price of 400K

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The next generation of Shelby GT500's will in fact have an automatic as an option, being developed as we watch things play out, good times to be part of for sure.
    TC

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Then all of us need to copy your build so that we're ready... LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wonder if they'll use their 10 speed or a version of it (like the did in the raptor.)