Guys running upper and lower pullies, iat temps?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by Bstudey01, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Bstudey01

Bstudey01 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've been searching the forums about iats when running both a 2.85 upper and 10% od crank pulley. I know that spinning the SC this much faster has to create more heat, but dont see much information about people upgrading and adding a bigger heat exchanger. Is the factory I/C loop efficient enough to keep iats in check when adding this much boost or are guys adding another heat exchanger to keep it in check. I see Bwoody sells one but would like to know if its going to be needed and beneficial.

2. BAADCAT

BAADCAT Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Bump. I would like to know as well. Bwoody had the heat exchanger out now too.

3. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Very little real data shared on anything, other then dyno (hp / torque) and track and strip results. Big picture that's not the best path imo slows progress. Hopefully we'll start seeing data logs...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Where is the sensor that reports the inlet air temp located?

5. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am running a lower pulley with the "street" version of the BWoody heat exchanger (the smaller one). When I am cruising, IC coolant temp stays within 6-9 degrees of ambient...even after I was getting on it on the highway, the temps barely went up at all. It was very consistent. I am making 14.5 lbs. of boost with just the lower (791whp). The added heat exchanger definitely helps.

This weekend, it was 60 degrees out and my IC coolant temps for my entire trip were 66-70 degrees. My IAT's were about 90 or so at full operating temperatures. No codes.

• Like Like x 2
  6. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would think adding the pulleys would have little or no effect on IAT temps. I saw no change in mine going with the lower pulley. I/C temps might be but probably only during spirited driving where the SC is being utilized. I see no difference in my I/C temp in just normal street driving.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agree as well...IAT temps seem to be the same from before the lower pulley was installed.

8. gilgamesh

gilgamesh Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I constantly watch my IATs. With only the 2.85 upper and a AFE intake I stay around +25-35 deg above ambient IATs on average. Obviously when sitting in traffic, I am much more. But when cruising, that is what I normally get.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BAADCAT

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This does bring up an interesting question where is the cats IAT? In my whippled camaro it originally would use the MAF as the sensor. After cranking the boost my tuner made me upgraded to one in the plenum under the SC and heat exchanger. He said that's the only way he(and the ecu) could know for sure what the temps were and be able to adjust accordingly. I def saw a difference in temps in relation to boost on that one. Maybe the cat is before the SC and that's why not really a change?

10. gilgamesh

gilgamesh Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I very seriously doubt it. I wild bet a paycheck it is inside the blower/after cooler somewhere. After my entire fiasco I have a WHOLE NEW RESPECT for the design on these engines and the redundant safety parameters dodge put in place. I am as near positive as I can be that is is inside the blower.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are 4 map sensors that each also present temperature to the pcm as is shown below. Intake air temp isn't the correct way to think about it. Focus on the sc outlet map below. Data from it isn't presented on the dash and I haven't found it though data capture and interooler temps aren't the best way to understand whats happening there either when it comes too adding boost.

So you have too get into it to know or accept results from what you can see.

I'm kind of curious so I'm working on an off boarded manner that will tap into and other sensors using connector pigtails attached to a small device that will present anything I interface too (with record and signal mod capabilities.)

GUID-2830047171.png
    20160503_171749.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. BAADCAT

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    We are going to have to start calling you Haavad... Being you ah wicked smaat. How you like them apples? Lol

Very cool. Thanks for the info.

13. Bstudey01

Bstudey01 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This makes more sense to me. I guarantee that spinning the sc this much faster is creating more heat, it has to. Its likely we are not seeing that temp through the onboard iat temp reading. Ive ordered the bwoody large heat exchanger, mostly because of previous experience with other supercharged cars, you always upgrade ic loop cooling when making more boost. Ill have more piece of mind anyway. Cooler air is better air.

• Like Like x 1
  14. gilgamesh

gilgamesh Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have never heard of having too much cooling on a car.....good call IMHO>