H-K audio sucks...

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by thedynoguy, Aug 4, 2015.

1. thedynoguy

thedynoguy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You know, I really didn't want to believe all of the griping I read here about the audio quality while I was finding a car to buy. Fast forward to now, I have a great pitch black HC Challenger, and I can't believe how crappy the sound is. What's the deal? I know there have been software updates. How can I check to see if my car has had them done? I bought it used from a private seller in NC, and he said he had the audio system serviced at the dealer. Is this as good as it gets?

2. HCone

HCone Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    updates so far have made no difference in sound quality or volume, it's just a POS, live with it, or install an aftermarket

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. candytrains

candytrains Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've been working with SRT eight times this month about this stereo And I even open A star case at the dealership they inform me today , at the dealer That there is no fix yet.
    The only thing I suggest that Everyone that purchase a 2015 hellcat challenger should open up a star case at their dealer about The quality of the woofer in the trunk If they get a complaint of thousands they have no other choice to get on this quicker . Let's face it we ordered them because of the power, sometimes you want to hear music on a long trip

4. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well mine is awesome. Even better after the updates. Hope you get it worked out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I, too, am very disappointed in the HK stereo, especially since the HK stereo in my 2013 392 was fantastic. My sound quality is not bad, it is the sound volume, or shall I say, lack thereof, that is my complaint. My updates are all current, and it has not changed the volume one iota. I have been giving serious thought to replacing the amp and see if that helps.

April

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I too am not overjoyed at the HK quality. I mainly run my iPod (volume setting maxed out and EQ set to Rock) using the USB connection. Some songs sound really good...others not so. The volume is also a main concern. I rarely listen to the radio or XM where the HK's deficiencies really stand out. I have heard from some stereo shops that changing the amps...one for the subs and one for the other speakers is a good place to start. Forum member Hellcatdotclub....HCDC..... started a thread where he did some of these changes and gave some useful feedback. I do admit that more than half the time, the stereo is muted, window are down and the SC and sweet exhaust notes are the only music to my ears. I did get an online survey from Dodge/FCA about 3 weeks after receiving my HC. I gave positive ratings on everything about the car, except the HK stereo.:oops:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. thedynoguy

thedynoguy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    mine has plenty of total volume, subs included. But, the speakers in the cabin are very shrill, like they are out of phase or just blown. Again, just horrible sound...

I added Focal seperates, an Audio Control DQL-8, JL 900/5 and a JL sub box in my 2010 F-350 Crew cab that works really well with the in dash nav/Sync system. I'm not opposed to doing the same with the HC, I just want to know that the problem isn't in the head unit...

8. ManicMechanicMD

ManicMechanicMD Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    This is just my two cents, but I have had pretty good luck with mine...but it's in a Charger. I am not convinced it was worth an extra $2k but it is what it is. The AM stations seem to come in poorly and that's surprising. I don't know if it's an antenna issue or what. Mine was built in late May for what that's worth. I have always been impressed with HK and Infinity products so it's very disappointing that there are this many issues with their product.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have to agree with Paladin on this one. I'm an ear surgeon and have also been a rock lead guitarist for more years than I care to admit. I think I have a pretty discerning set of ears. I have no complaints about my HK system.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Nutshell

Nutshell Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It seems I have to turn it up to like 23-24 to hear voices. Not sure if that's just how it is supposed to be, but at that level if I'm listening to talk and then bass-ey music comes on it is blaring. Just weird. I know the car is loud so it drowns some stuff out I guess but it seems like it could be better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Nycsrt

Nycsrt BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Turn the radio off and open the windows is the real
    Music

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Nutshell

Nutshell Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's 105 degrees here need that a/c lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Nycsrt

Nycsrt BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Okay then you
    Better off using the apple headphones for music thru your phone cause hk sucks

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 2mopars

2mopars Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Two letters and a word= HK sucks

15. digdug33071

digdug33071 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I thought the software update made a huge improvement. Sound quality is outstanding, but maybe not as loud (thumping) as some would like.