Handling

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by sinister707, Aug 11, 2015.

1. sinister707

sinister707 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello All,

I'm new to the forums. I've seen some pretty cool HC Challengers. I have one as well. I think the car handles great but I want more out of it. I've decided on a couple of things and already installed them:

1.) Mopar rear strut tower brace
    2.) KW HAS (currently being installed)

I would like a front strut tower brace but none clear the super charger.

Any thoughts on the above?

Picture IMG_0297.jpg attached.

• Like Like x 1
  2. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    HC is not made for handling...it does the best it can for 4,500lbs, but will never be a great handling car

HC is for straight line performance and they threw in good brakes and decent handling

if you want all the performance you can get you get DR's which hurts your handling...

id give up...watch the video's of guys taking other brands on the track and then the HC...watch how their arms barely move when driving a Z28 or Vette...then watch how wild their arms move when trying to control the HC....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome to the forum. I agree with Huggy that the HC is best in a straight and shoot setting. It handles fairly well in the curves, but it really shines going directly from Point A to Point B. Congrats on your HC.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello, and welcome to the forum! Grtz on the HC, enjoy!

April

• Like Like x 1
  5. Slowhand

Slowhand Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome Sinister! Love the ride! Re handling... experiment away. Nothing happens unless someone tries. Saying the Hellcat cant handle and you can't change it is like saying the Hellcat is 707HP and you can't get more power. I know guys that have made huge handling gains on 70's Mopars. Just nobody here is measuring G-forces. They're all busy talking dyno numbers. It could be that lowering an inch or two, stiffening the roll front and rear, and adding a rear diffuser and an extension plate to the front splitter would pick up lap times on some tracks. Let us know what you do and how you feel it performs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. jim

jim Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Huggytree, I have tracked mine at Blackhawk farms in Beloit. It's 6 seconds faster lap than my 98 viper gts
    This car does just fine.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree with jim. I'm very impressed with how the Cat handles. Very little body roll and a lot of mechanical grip. If anything it could do with a little more rebound damping on the front and less bump damping on the rear. But my guess is SRT have gone with what will launch the car best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i just remember the video when the HC first came out...comparing cars...watching that same driver drive 3 cars.....nice and relaxed in 2 of them....then the HC---his eyes were wider and his arms just kept moving back and forth over and over...like he was barely in control of it....

does it handle better than most cars? yes.....hell yes......but i wouldnt consider it a Z28 or GT350 comparison.......if you want better handling im sure it can be gotten....most here want straight line fast and spend more time discussing DR choices than handling

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hmm.. the car weighs 4,400/4,500 pounds and has relatively skinny tires, does it make for the turns by acceleration in the straightways, no way the Cat is out turning a viper which get way over 1 g in the curves.

10. sinister707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you all for welcoming me. i understand what huggytree is saying. i'm going to give it a "try" and let's see what happens. also my avatar inspired this question and lead me to start buying handling components instead of power mods.

just curious what i should measure for the handling? I want to compare it to a GT 500 and a Z/28.

• Like Like x 1
  11. sinister707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Is the Redline Hellcat yours?

12. Hemi1632

Hemi1632 BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    These cars handle very good for what they are. But to compare them to a Z28 or the Boss 302 Laguna seca or the Vett is just not fair! those are road race cars you can drive on the street. I am not sure about the Z28 but the Vett and the Boss don't even have a back seat. They have adjustable shocks, shock tower braces, camber adjustment.....I know this because I got to drive my friends Laguna Seca. If someone equipped a Hellcat with all of the handling devices, even with its weight it would be close because of the horsepower advantage it has. On a long track like road America I think the Hellcat would be faster? Hot laps on a shorter tighter track the Z28 Vett and boss may be faster, but in a race if the hellcat started in front the other cars are going to have one hell of a time passing!

You ment to say .6 not six seconds faster correct? Have they repaved that track? I only was supposed to race there once, a long time ago and when I got airborne going into one of the turns because the pavement was buckled due to braking I packed it up and went home.

Keep at it sinister! Keep us informed, and I hope you run some real fast laps!

• Like Like x 1
  13. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Yes, that is Dante. :)

April

• Like Like x 1
  14. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sinister your OP asks about a front brace. See this: New Hellcat Front Strut Tower Brace SRT Hellcat Forum

I am also going to try some road racing as well as drag racing with this beast myself. Good luck, we will have to trade notes. I had a 300C SRT8 and another member on a Forum made his a real competitor among respectable road racers, so it can be done, especially with the extra power we have. Can't wait my SRT experience is at Road America on Sep 2!

• Like Like x 1
  15. sinister707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I call mine Laura. any mods? Still stock?