Harman Kardon

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by bjadamsr6, Nov 30, 2015.

1. bjadamsr6

bjadamsr6 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So......

I'm about to put in my order for my charger. I'm trying to decide if the Harman Kardon system is worth the $2,000. Not a big sound guy and would like to think I will prefer listening to the exhaust.

Also figure that for $2k and aftermarket system might be better.

What are your thoughts for those of you that have it or don't or have heard both?

2. im3cpo

im3cpo Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you are getting the car for "you", sounds like you should go after market.. Only issue is if you think having a stock system is better for resale as most wont give you any value for upgrades you do after the fact. Again, if you plan on keeping the car until the wheels fall off, then this shouldn't be a consideration. Good luck deciding!

Edit: Also wanted to add that I have the Harmon Kardon in my Challenger Hellcat and in my SRT8 Jeep. Its not the best stereo in the world, but I personally would get the Harmon Kardon option if I had to do it over again.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Immo

Immo Moparpalooza

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I think it was worth it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you search this site you'll see some complaints about the HK system. I have it in my car (built 06/06/2015) and it's a Challenger not a
    Charger. That said, I have the system in my car, I was happy with it from day one but recently had my car to the dealer for an O2 sensor
    to be replaced and the dealer did an "amp reflash/update" WOW what a difference. I had no complaints to begin with but now I'm really
    happy with it.

If you search this site you should find at least two other threads regarding the HK system. I hope that this is helpful.

Good luck!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Lighty

Lighty Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    HK system in my charger is awesome!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    As stated before, best $2k i never spent!

Stock works just fine...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Red Harley

Red Harley Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member HCC National Secretary

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    After the flash ours sounds awesome. I would choose the HK again.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. JonWrong

JonWrong Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Seriously, this guy said it best. The regular system has no reported problems, and I also have it. It sounds fantastic. Is it possible the HK will sound better? Yes. Is it possible it will sound terrible? That has been proven. Do yourself a favor and save the money and hassle. There are a number of threads with people who have never been able to sort out the issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. graycat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree with JonWrong in the above post.

I'd like to make a friendly suggestion. If possible, and if you can find the car that you want before signing a purchase contract, sit in the car and
    listen to the radio. I think that you (OP) are looking to order the car. If you have to order the car you are likely not getting much help from those of
    us posting in this thread. Sorry.....

One thing that I would not want to do is start modifying or letting some guy at a sound equipment sales center start taking apart or cutting on my
    brand new $70k+ car. If you order the HK system and it is not working properly when the car arrives, it could be a hassle to get it fixed or it may
    just simply be a matter of "updating or reflashing" to fix it. Either way, you can walk away from the car before buying it or buy it with your eyes wide
    open knowing about it.

I'd hate to wait on a car for MONTHS only to have to walk away from it when it finally showed up. I may have too much faith in Dodge to make
    things "right" when they aren't "right" as they should be from day one. I hope this may help.

Just some food for thought. Best of luck!

10. iTwitchHC

iTwitchHC Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Would anyone be willing to take a pic of the subs in a Charger? I have a buddy with a Charger hellcat that was supposed to come with the HK system and it seems to be missing, the dealer has been less then helpful.

11. JonWrong

JonWrong Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The subs are in the rear deck, or so I have read. I have the stocker, and the triangles at the corner of the front door (on the other side of the side view mirror) say Alpine. There is no speaker there on the stocker. The HK system has speakers there I believe.

12. mixiao

mixiao Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm a big audio guy and I usually stop at the audio place right after I buy a new car. I just traded my 2015 392 with HK system for a Hellcat with the HK system again. The original 2015 system had a lot of flaws, the bass was over the top and you could not really adjusted. So if you wanted to listen to mids and highs it was really frustrating. So I replaced it with an after market system and spent a considerable amount of money getting it to sound the right way. As the other stated you won't recoup your money unless you take it all out and use it on another car but even then you won't recoup the labor. Unless you know how to do it yourself that's a big part of the investment.

Now this new car with the updated software sounds much better than the 2015 did. Once the speakers went thru their break-in period the sound is not bad at all. I was going to reinstall the system on this one but then I thought of the other factor on a Hellcat, the engine, the supercharger and the exhaust note. Why do I want to hide that sound, that's one of the reasons I trade it the 392 in. I think that the sound of the HK is good enough from when I don't want to listen to the power of the hellcat. Maybe in 6 months from now but right now I'm enjoying the Hellcat sound.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Lighty

Lighty Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    They are not in the trunk like the challenger. They are different systems.

14. rwhite692

rwhite692 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am very satisfied with the HK / 8.4AN system.

Also, the audio system is so integrated with the touchscreen, which is used for everything else in the car...I can't imagine trying to add an aftermarket system to this car and having it actually be worth all of the hassle.

You also said you are "not a big sound guy" so that makes me even more certain that you don't want to even consider adding on an aftermarket audio system to this car....

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. graycat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    rwhite692 brings up an excellent point. If you add an after market sound system where would you put it? The touch screen set up looks and (at least in my car) works very nicely.

I do most work myself including all fabricating and welding and all electrical work (except tuning)
    but I'd hate to add a stereo to one of these cars. Adding speakers and amps maybe but no way
    would I add an after market stereo.

Does the HK system use the standard stereo and just add speakers, subs and amps or is it a
    completely different stereo? Anyone know the answer to this question?