Harman Kardon

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT 392' started by dkmarine, Mar 15, 2015.

1. dkmarine

dkmarine Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    So my baby arrived last week Thursday. Pitch Black Charger 392 with technology group, sunroof, laguna leather and Harman Kardon sound system. I was giddy like a school boy. Remote started it 3 times in the show room. I am in love.

So to the point. I had a Ram truck with the Alpine system and it rocked, had fantastic sound. So when I decided to order my new baby I signed up for the $1950 sound upgrade to Harman Kardon sound system. "19 speakers with 900 watts Amplifier". AN amazing car, powerful engine, cool looks and then when I am tired of the exhaust sound killer tunes.

SO after a few days of driving with my perma grin I turned the tunes on and.........WTF!!!
    What a load of junk! Adjusting the equalizer makes almost no difference. Not sure why they have a subwoofer it is useless. You can only hear bass once you almost max the system out which then hurts your ears because the highs are so tinny. I took it back to the dealer and had multiple salesman "play" with it they all agreed they could hear no difference playing with all the different radio settings. They wanted me to drop the car off with service department, there take is everything is working. So now what why did I pay almost $2k for a sound system that is worse than my daughters Kia. Has anyone else had an issue.

I have read in past years that the HK upgrade was a bust but it seemed that things had been fixed.
    I pulled the car apart today to make sure everything was plugged and and working and it is just extremely poorly. Any ideas? Can I rip it out and get my money back from Chrysler. Can't believe I have wasted this money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Maybe you need a UConnect software update. HK sound system Equalizer is at mid level or below the bars and it still sounds super crisp at all levels and the bass hits hard at volume 20.
    It's the best sound investment for me considering I've had many aftermarket upgrade sound systems and this one is on par. Another plus is It hits hard and doesn't take up another 100lbs of woofers and space in the trunk.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Tsc has both cars,, and he said there is very little difference between the challenger and charger hk radio

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. noboost4you

noboost4you <Insert witty title here>

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    You're not alone. The radio side of the system is simply awful. The media side (usb, sd, bluetooth) sounds amazing. They dropped the ball with FM/SXM processing.

Send an email to Ralph at [edited for privacy] with your findings and thoughts. He told me while there has been some concern over the audio quality, there hasn't been too many people reporting it. Please take the time to send him an email. Title it "Harman Kardon Audio Group FM/SXM Issues - Charger" and hopefully with enough feedback, something is done. Mention Bryan sent you so he can be upset with me for another day.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  5. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just an additional note we have HD FM in Houston and it sounds really good. Non HD FM sounds the same as any other car though

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Profezzor X

Profezzor X Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I can't imagine what a 19 speaker sound system would sound like in a car. Maybe that's why I want that option when I get it.

7. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think it's actually 'just 18' speakers, although some places it mentions 19. When playing modern music, via ipod connecting by Bluetooth, it sounds great. When an old song, like Led Zep or Black Sabbath, comes on, in sounds like it's been turned way down, and really needs more power to allow to crank louder to compensate.

8. WNY Cat

WNY Cat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My Hellcat has been stored all winter but when I got it back in November I was very dissapointed in the sound of HK system. I have only listened to it in FM and SXM mode so far. The first place I took it was my local audio installer so I could show him how bad it sounds. He agreed and I told him that I would be back in the spring to see what he could do with it.
    I am going to experiment with the USB and SD option to see if there is a difference. I also have SXM on my phone so I can try hooking that up to the AUX jack.

9. noboost4you

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, there is a slight improvement with HD FM, but not much. Have you tried SXM? What are your thoughts?

10. noboost4you

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Send an email to Ralph at [edited for privacy] with your findings and thoughts. Even though the Challenger owners didn't have a choice in sound systems, the issues still exist in those cars.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  11. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah it's super clear and loud on mine. I just love it!

12. noboost4you

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Send Ralph an email, too. He should receive letters of adoration in addition to the complaints received.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My clients usually tell me no news is good news :D

14. noboost4you

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Nonsense. I love when customers go out of their way to tell me they were happy with their product. I bet Ralph would, too.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Kevin M

Kevin M Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What is SXM mode??