Has anybody done a donut?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by Racist Cat, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    In my younger days, I used to do them all the time. I had to tighten up the rear differential (restacked and added clutches), but after that, it was both wheels, all the time. (The best part was that my truck at the time was a '98 Dodge 3500 Dually with a flatbed. Was putting down 510rwhp/1020tq)

A while back I had a person (literally a human) try to jump/throw themselves in front of me while cruising downtown around 9-10pm. I avoided them easily, but only because I was aware of all my surroundings and took notice of his body signs as I approached.

After the event, I went to pop a u-turn, and still running on adrenaline, I wanted to spin the car around, get the back tires spinning and pivot around the front end. (I live in a small town, traffic was non resistant at the moment.)

To my dismay, both tires started spinning, the rear walked out as I cut the wheel, but as weight transferred to the outside, the outside wheel caught traction, and the inside spun up. I was disappointed.

Has anybody else been able to pull off a quick 180, or even a donut?

I'm sure if I would have mashed the throttle, and ran to redline, both tires would have stayed spinning, but I didn't want a cloud of smoke, just a slip around.

Any tricks to getting the differential tightened up? I'd like to make this less likely to happen.

2. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Disable traction control. In my 08 challenger, 08 SRT (Both which have open diff's) and the hellcat i've managed to do a 180 no problem (quick u-turns) without making a smoke show.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Had the traction off. I was able to get about 90* into it when the inside wheel spun up, and the outside wheel just bit its teeth into the pavement.

4. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    oh 180's are done periodically in my car lol...I've never tried to spin her all the way around though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I haven't spun it around yet, not a 360. Guess I need to find a private track and practice.

On another note, I think it might be time for a go pro and some suction cups.

6. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Kill the T/C
    Turn sharp
    Try 2nd so you don't run out of speed
    Start going around
    Feed throttle to spin, but don't blow it up
    She will go around and around.

We learn that shit on snow in parking lots. Busted plenty of transmissions and a few wheels on hidden curbs, but effectively learns you the tricks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know I was in 1st, and stabbed the throttle, got the rpm, then backed down to about 60% once the tires broke loose, but then it turned into a one tire fire. I'll give 2nd a go next time. This was on dry pavement. Maybe it was just a fluke. In a straight line, it always leaves rubber from both tires, and even coming around a corner, it steps out easily, and leaves two strips of rubber. Guess the stars aligned that day and blessed me with a one wheel peel.

I'll give it another go whenever I get her back out again. Hopefully I'll make up my mind on a go pro by then.

8. ChallCat

ChallCat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Donuts and then some!...

Could not resist - I love this vid:)

9. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ken Block does amazing stuff... talent extraordinaire!:D We need to get him a Hellcat and let him perform his magic!

• Agree Agree x 1