HAS ANYONE EVER SEEN ENGINE DYNO NOS.?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by VAL, Apr 19, 2016.

1. VAL

VAL Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wondering if anyone has ever seen an article where the Hellcat engine was put on an engine dyno and saw what these things are making at the crank? Trying to guess with Chassis dyno numbers is not very accurate.

tks.

2. Mills

Mills Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    search "Hellcat Engine Dyno" on YouTube and you will find a couple videos showing them make well over the advertised rating...

3. VAL

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    okay, thank you. I believe I have checked that in the past but they were all chassis dyno videos but I will check again.

tks......

4. Mills

Mills Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Believe it was an Arrington video to see what they were starting with. Motor had dyno headers drilled with EGT's...but appeared stock otheriwse.

Only put out 773 HP @ 6300 rpm...what a POS! lol

Would touch 800 with rev limiter bumped as the power is still climbing at that point from what I've seen.

W-O-W...

5. VAL

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great info, thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for. That is why some are seeing 660, 670 rwhp on the chassis dyno. These things are SERIOUSLY underrated from the factory.

6. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Always wondered why anyone would care about an engine dyno number, except maybe bragging rights. Sort of a, "my dick is bigger, if the ambient temperature is just right," sort of mentality.

Chassis dyno is all that matters, when benchmarking how a car can perform.

7. VAL

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I am specifically interested in both nos. and wondered why there is such a disparity between the claimed crank nos. of the factory and what we are actually seeing on the chassis dyno's. If it were ONLY making 707 hp, we would see 600 rwhp. This helps clear it up and in my opinion paints a much clearer picture. BUT, let's be honest. It is all about the horsepower!! I would not have paid 70k for a Challenger making 500 hp.

8. Mills

Mills Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hmmm - I am gonna have to disagree with you on this one a bit

1st off - any dyno is merely a tuning tool - engine or chassis. Either can be messed with you tell you really anything you want. Only a time slip and an accurate measure of race weight for that run will tell you what you really have.

2nd - I don't ever recall an engine building / dyno contest (i.e. Engine Masters) involving installing the engine in a chassis and running it...as unless you we installing in exactly the same chassis you would never get an accurate depiction of how each engine compared. Nope they are all engine dynos...so I guess everyone is involved in a dick measuring contest.

If they took the Hellcat engine off the dyno, left the calibration untouched, and ran a Z06 motor...I bet you would get a pretty dman spot on comparison of what each ENGINE was capable of...where as the chassis dyno would tell you how each manufacturer did their job of putting as much of that power to the wheels as possible. I agree with you that if the Hellcat engine makes 775 HP, and they matched it to a horribly inefficient chassis (tranny, rear, etc) and it put down 575 HP, where the Z06 does 675 and 600 respectively - well - that doesn't look good for the Hellcat winning.

9. VAL

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Personally, I do not think there is any right or wrong to it. Some think the crank power is important, others the rwhp and some think both are useless and only the time slip at the track matters. To me it is all the same, it only matter's what is important to each of us. I never, ever track my car. I find it very boring and can't stand the formalities. I race my car if, when and where the opportunity presents itself.

Also, I just love crunching nos., so the nos. are important to me. Therefore I seek them out in all forms.HP, RWHP, 0-60, E.T.', vehicle weight and so on. Frankly crunching the numbers gives me a very good idea how I will do with other cars, providing they are stock or close to stock.

To each, their own. For me, if someone asks how much HP does that car have and how quick is it?, I can say it makes 780 hp and puts 670 to the rear wheels and it will run high 10' in the 1/4 mile. It may be bragging but it is the truth and that is good enough for me.

tks......

• Like Like x 1