Has anyone installed 3.09 diff on there own

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by 1EVLCAT, Jun 2, 2016.

1. 1EVLCAT

1EVLCAT Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Looking to install 3.09 diff myself.Anyone have pics on how to do?

2. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    OK, I have done it. You will need a 13/16 small offset wrench to remove the back bolts. The exhaust, just remove the rear bolts first and then remove the center bolts and the hangars are hooked on a tab on the frame so it will stay there until you are ready to take it out. When you are removing the back bolts the diff has to move forward as you unscrew them. When you drop it down, move it to one side and take out the opposite axle and then when it is out slide it over and take out the other. Basically you do ONE axle at a time. The axles are held in with a snap ring and so you just pop them out by prying on them. If you are shy about doing it, then it will be difficult. It might be helpful to have a couple wood or plastic wedges for this. I put the car up on 4 jack stands and used a floor Jack with a fixture that was perfectly balanced to hold up the diff. The car can stay in park. I was able to get all the Driveshaft bolts without too much difficulty. I did NOT disconnect the battery. A trim removal tool helps with removing the Exhaust valve electrical connectors from the mounts.

Any questions?

. DSCN1919.JPG DSCN1920.JPG DSCN1924.JPG DSCN1922.JPG DSCN2109.JPG

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    these snap rings, is that what most people fight when doing the swap? I've read elsewhere that they were a bugger. are snap ring pliers helpful, or is it a flat blade screw driver and wooden wedge cursing extravaganza that takes place? And how do they go back in?
    Also whats that other tool to the left of your offset box wrench?

4. 1EVLCAT

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dragrcr, Thx for the response.Great pics and directions.You want to come out to Ft Lauderdale and do mine...

5. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The snap rings are captive in a groove in the splined end of the axle, They snap into a female groove in the center of the carrier. So, when the axle is all the way in, or "home" the ring is snapped in place holding the axle. No, snap ring pliers cannot be used because the rings are not accessible. Look at the pic.......you can see the groove the snap ring sits in and you can see the large part of the axle you pry on (on the stockers it's a more simple black cylinder)
    There is a larger cylindrical part of the axle that is right next to the diff that you can use a large screwdriver to pry on. Like I said if you are shy it will be difficult. I was afraid I might damage that cylindrical piece by prying on it. If 2 wedges placed opposite sides and tapped in with a Hammer would make this part very easy. They are available at the hardware store. Once it pops you are good to go.
    Going back in you just push them straight in. It's not complicated.

That tool is a wrench I made for another project by welding a 6 point socket to a piece of pipe. It has a small angle to it and that is what I used on my car. The offset wrench I bought at the Swap Meet after I did this Job. I thought it might work better. I recommend you trial fit your wrench early in this process or before you start. There may be a metric equivalent to this so if you have metric wrenches you can try the appropriate size.

Yes I am available to do installs! LOL

. DSCN1915.JPG DSCN1917.JPG hellcat_zpsk6e86wln.jpg DSCN2109.JPG DSCN2110.JPG

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. 1EVLCAT

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What do you think the dealer would charge to do it?Did the diff change make a big differance how your car drives?

7. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You need to call your dealer. It varies greatly. What is important is what YOU feel it would be worth.
    There are many threads on here that talk about this. You should find them and read them. If you are in a thread and scroll all the way down there are links to similar threads. Do this in every thread and you will be busy for hours.

I personally think the drive ability is MUCH improved with the 3.09's. I am a big time drag racer but even if I did not race I feel the improvement is worth it. I have not read ONE post that was less than thrilled with the result.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have one more question on the snap rings. would the wooden or plastic wedges be used to drive in between and against the space between the large part of the axle and the diff housing there for forcing the snap ring to come out with out actually using a tool on the snap ring itself?

9. rick arrieta

rick arrieta Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I to am waiting for that answer. I'm getting ready to do mine. Have the rear end and a high trans jack. Just waiting for driveshaft.

10. MuscleGarageLA

MuscleGarageLA SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Do you have the stock drive shaft? I have heard mixed reviews: some maintaining that you need it with the 3.09 while others say it doesn't matter.
    No drag racing on my cars but I don't want to compromise the OEM shaft if I indulge in some sprited driving or let it rip every now and then.

11. rick arrieta

rick arrieta Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would think stock driveshaft would be fine if you don't plan on any track time. But it could be tough to handle with street tires.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you look at the picture of the axle you can see a groove cut in it near the end of the splined end of the axle that does not have a nut. The snap ring is going to be in that groove way up inside the differential. So let me make this clear, you are never going to do anything with the snap rings. They only hold the axle in place once you slam it home.

Yes, drive the wedges into the space between the carrier and the axle to pop it out. Or use a couple of big screwdrivers to pry on it etc. It takes a lot of force but once they pop they are easy to move after that.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It would be drag radials that would make the drive shaft desirable. Not the 3.09 Diff. The 3.09 Diff absolutely will treat the drive shaft better or stress it less. So installing the 3.09 diff you would be less likely to need a drive shaft.

I don't think you need one based on what you said.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I wanted to be more specific on this. I still have the stock driveshaft. I do not plan on changing it unless I do engine mods. I made about 30 passes with the stock 2.62 gears and the rest with the 3.09 gears for a total of 110 passes so far, ALL with drag radials slamming the throttle wide open on the launch. Early on I actually porpoised my car. So the car was kind of hopping through first gear with the car hooking on the hit and then the suspension topping out and then the car would spin and then it would settle down and bite and cycled like this about 5 times. I stayed wide open throttle the whole time. If THAT did not break my Driveshaft, then nothing will.

But, if I had a 2015 Hellcat and I was running Drag Radials, and I was horrified at the thought of breaking my Driveshaft, I would upgrade. I personally would not get too upset if my Driveshaft broke. I would just have the dealer replace it. In YOUR case, if it breaks, it will be replaced with a 2016 Shaft.

It's just a really desirable car, but not collectible or rare. And, NOBODY is going to see your floorboard or a dented exhaust pipe etc..... The last 20 cars I have sold the person did not look underneath it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. StellasHC

StellasHC Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

110 passes... I love it