Has anyone tried the Mecum/Barrett Jackson experience?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by bfusion, Dec 28, 2014.

1. bfusion

bfusion Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have been thinking, if my Hellcat order falls through, maybe I take my money and go to an auction. Looks to me that Mecum is a more affordable avenue. I think I can get 2 nice cars for the price of one Hellcat. Anyone with experience on this?

2. Bigtime

Bigtime Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would buy from a private individual first. Buyer and seller both have to pay a percentage after the sale.

3. Deputydog

Deputydog Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yep the fees can get expensive. Usually about 10%

4. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Bfusion,,I am going to find you a hellcat... Will be right back with info!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Helldog

Helldog Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've done it at Mecum. I had a good experience, but it can be risky since you're buying something solely based on appearance. No test drives first so you're gambling on any potential mechanical issues. You just hope it works as good as it looks and go from there. You need to set the max you will pay first and not waiver from that. Take into consideration all fees as well. Usually you will pay 6% on the hammer price. So if it hammers for $60K you pay $63,600 and the seller takes home $56,400.

6. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Milosch's Palace Chrysler Dodge Jeep & RAM, black six speed, also has a sublime A8.Let me know if you want me to find more, there is at least a dozen on the ground in michigan

7. Joschoice

Joschoice Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    We've had good luck buying and selling on EBay. You just need to find someone kind of close, so that you can test drive and inspect the car. This is how we got our 69 Super Bee and 2000 pimpy Prowler.

8. bfusion

bfusion Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks HC1, I want to wait to see what comes of the January allocation. At this point, I can live with the 6 speedbut I want the black Laguna and Nav . This is a one time buy for me and I want the leather. I have waited this long. If not maybe I look into a Vette or CTS-V. Or just drive my old 72 Vette. You are a good man HC1, Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  9. JBS$

JBS$ Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have been twice in recent years, had a great time. Never bought a car, however, I did make a couple of guys pay more than they wanted to on three, to die for, 57 Chevys.

10. KAR Farm

KAR Farm Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have done alot of buying and selling of classic cars, ebay is a great way to buy one. Check feedback, I have done over 100 transactions with only 1 minor issue. I sold a 70 Challenger last year and the guy blew the trans up 6 months later and left me a follow up Negative feedback?

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. GC Ron

GC Ron Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    BJ is a flat 10% buyers premium. Mecum at Kissimee will be 8% but you will see negotiations on that. Historically higher selling prices at BJ Scottsdale vs Mecum for the same vehicles.

12. chuck

chuck Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just want to go and see the cars does it cost to get in and do you have to be a buyer I would love to just look at these great cars as a looker not a buyer any info please of cost to get in just to look at these great cars

13. tsubahog

tsubahog Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Went to Mecum in Harrisburg last year for 3 days. Had a great time - its quite a spectacle. Prices are at the top end of the range for every car and some get bid to silly money. Great cars on display and for sale. Get there at 8am if you want a selfie with Dana as he is very gracious to his clients then sit back as they blast out Thunderstruck by AC/DC, Start Me Up by the Stones and Karn Evil 9 by ELP about 9am along with some of the Auctioneers dancing, all before you have finished your first coffee. Great event

14. chuck

chuck Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks I been looking at there auction comming to Dallas . I want be buying but I would love to mingle and look at the cars this is like going to a car museum I'm sure I know I would love it just have to leave ck book home I know me and my wife we love cars and bikes but got both now thanks can you sit in stands and walk around freely if not a buyer

15. bfusion

bfusion Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I always thought I would like to go. You can get some great deals on cars that are not yet real collectibles. C5 Corvettes, early 70's pick ups and such.