Has anyone tried using Stabil on a Charger HC?

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by dodgeboy, Nov 17, 2015.

1. dodgeboy

dodgeboy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I was getting ready to put my Charger HC up for the winter, and I figured it couldn't hurt to add some Stabil fuel stabilizer to the tank. I bought a bottle and dumped it into the tank... or so I thought. 100% of it dumped out under the car. I had the bottle inserted into the filler neck (only the threads went past the door). I assume the silly capless fuel door has something to do with this? Or is something broken with my filler neck? I've never had a problem with filling the car with fuel (including filling it immediately after this incident). This is the first time I've used any fuel additives that I would dump in with a bottle. $8 well spent! It got all over the inside of the wheel, too (from the back side), so I had to wash the wheel down. What a pain! Assuming nothing is wrong with my filler neck, I guess I will have to use a funnel next time.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    If you look, you'll note a small diagram inside the filler door that pictures using a funnel (provided in the trunk) for non-fuel nozzles. Something to do with length and reach of filler nozzle.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  3. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Were you actually able put it in where the filler nozzle would go? Was the little flap over the fill port open... the Stabil bottles are friendly for measuring how much you need... but not for actually pouring it in... (Not like a regular fuel additive that come in a small bottle with a long thin neck) My guess is you got nothing in the tank and it poured all around the filler opening draining to the floor. I would use a funnel as you stated.;)

4. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    1) Use a funnel

2) Use Seafoam instead. It's overall better for your engine because it actually breaks up and cleans fuel and oil deposits, stabilizes fuel, controls moisture, lubricates cylinders, cleans injectors, cleans intake valves and pistons.

I used to live in a severe winter state and had motorcycles put away for 6-7 months. 1st year I tried Sta-Bil and the bike choked up a little bit on the first startup and ran rough. After that I switched to Seafoam... it ran perfectly. Put in a FRESH tank of gas (doesn't need to be a full tank), pour in a can of Seafoam, done. I would periodically start my bikes (kept the batteries in the bikes on a trickle charger because removing them and bringing them inside was a hassle), and when you do, you'll see a lot of white "smoke" come out of your exhaust... that's the nastiness Seafoam broke up coming out of your system. After a few minutes that goes away.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. CanuckH3llKat

CanuckH3llKat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yup, use a funnel, I learned that the hard way as well. Plus you can't really top the gas tank up like on the old chargers. If you pull the nozzle out a bit the gas spills down the inside of the wheel.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My car is put away for 5 months. I have the Stabil and Seafoam in the gas.

I have to transport my fuel from a 55 gal drum off my truck so I have the treatments already mixed in the fuel. Our local fuel is ethanol. so I take a 55 gal drum out of the county to get the 91 octane non ethanol fuel for storage in my boat and cars.

5-6 month storage is not so bad. The Stabil can says can stabilize fuel for up to 2 years. ( ethanol fuel has a very short shelf life 4-5 weeks ).

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tweaked

Tweaked Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Pain to use funnel also, you need to have releases on both sides pushed back before funnel can be inserted. Car did not come with its own funnel.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. dodgeboy

dodgeboy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the replies, everyone! I really appreciate it. I'll use a funnel, and probably seafoam as well. I've used seafoam in the past, but only as a reactive measure. I guess I wasn't aware of its stabilization properties. I'm not terribly worried about it, since the car will only likely be down for 4 months or so, but I figure any little bit helps.

9. TexasFinest

TexasFinest Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    The car comes with a funnel to specifically use on the car. It's in the trunk. This is so we have a capless fuel tank and no one can mess with your tank. It also help so people don't accidently leave the cap off which also causes a check engine light. The tank can only open with a fuel nozzle or that funnel which can help add additives. See attached photo.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e...B-865D-436F-947E-329E8A5A274A_zpsytp4f84y.jpg

10. Tweaked

Tweaked Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Attached photo not working for me. Would like to see picture as my charger did not come with a funnel.

11. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

That's so cool. Never knew it was in the trunk. Nice post

12. Hb hellcat

Hb hellcat Black Betty...BamAlam!!!

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Funnel is under the floormat in the trunk snapped into specific clips holding it in place, not in the foam insert!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tweaked

Tweaked Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks. Raised cover and there it was. Funny how it was hiding in plain sight.

14. jtcarlsen67

jtcarlsen67 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    If you look at the opening...on either side of the fill opening are two small bumps (one at 3 and 9 o'clock). They need to be depressed to allow the metal shield to open. This is how the neck of the gas pump handle and the filter supplied with the car work.