Has anyone used de-ionized water to wash their cars?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by bfusion, Mar 1, 2015.

1. bfusion

bfusion Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have really hard well water, even through my water softener. When washing the car, you have to dry it in a hurry or it makes terrible water spots. Has anyone used a de-ionizing water filter system or something similar? I will do what I have to do to make my black cars look the best.

2. HellcatKid

HellcatKid Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ahha you read my mind I have the filter housings and the resin I'm going to make a wheeled unit so I can rinse car off and have no water spots it will take the water down to less than 1 micro mho total dissolved solids! :cool::cool:

3. Odin

Odin Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I also have a water softener but would still get spots. I use the CR Spotless system. It works great and no more spots. What I do is try and not wash the car in the direct sun. Early morning or late evening is best. After washing the car I use the system to rinse the car. After rinsing I move the car into the garage and dry it with a Metrovac MasterBlaster, microfiber drying towel and detail spray.

4. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have an iron filter and a softener hose bib in my garage is hot and cold mixing valve. I always wash the cars inside my garage so the sun does not dry them so fast. No problems but I am lucky I have pretty good water.

5. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have super hard calcium water but I use the moist towel napkin for each part of the car as I go instead of wetting the whole car

6. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    When I lived in the country I bypassed the water softener as I don't want salt on my car. Used to wash in sections and dry ASAP as my water sucked. Glad that issue is gone in the city.

7. Billet Hellcat

Billet Hellcat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I use the de ionized water at work and wash my black truck and drive it home without drying it and it looks great the next morning just need to wipe it down a little and good to go.

8. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
  9. bfusion

bfusion Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you don't mind HCK, let me know how you do it. I would like to make one too.

10. dodgeboy

dodgeboy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I've used those for years, and I also swear by them. However, they stopped making them a few years ago and the price on the remaining stuff has gone way up. The entire starter kit used to be like $12. I bought a bunch of them right when they stopped making them, but one by one I've managed to break the plastic hose inlet on each of them. I wonder if someone else makes a similar product? it seriously changed the way I wash my cars, and it saves so much time. It's also nice to not have a bucket full of gritty water that you dunk your wash mitt into.

11. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, I use deionized water most of the time. I have SUPER hard water (over 700 PPM) and if I don't I need to dry quickly or I get wicked spots that are hard to get off. A water softener doesn't help (I have that too), all it does is exchange one mineral for another.

I use the CR Spotless system (you can google it). I have the DIC20. Costco sells it at the best price but it's available direct or other places. The only thing that stinks for me is that my water is SO hard the media needs to be replaced often. Because of this I only use it for final rinse (which is all you really need). You will be amazed if you get one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bfusion

bfusion Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks 707, and everyone here. Sounds like many are in my situation. CR it is I guess

13. magnummrk

magnummrk SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  14. caren

caren Hell-o Kitty

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Just do what tsc does, take your buckets and products to the pay to spray and wash the car there.

15. HellcatKid

HellcatKid Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ok sure don't mind helpin a fellow out mine will be cheap as i can build it but better than the ones you can buy in stores.... best of all the filters you can screw them apart and just replace the media I have 300ppm city water hardness which is not bad although if I had well water such as yourself i would first run the water through a softener then a reverse osmosis unit which will bring it down to approx. 90 % of your inlet so if you have 700ppm well water it will be reduced to approx 70 ppm this way your deionization media will last longer. also if you have really high iron in your well water above 1ppm then i would chlorinate the water to oxidize the iron out then run it through a carbon filter before the softner because the softner will only deal with maximum 1 ppm. I will draw some plans out and source the parts most of it is available online.