SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Has the exhaust valve "active exhaust" thing been solved yet? (rant)

35K views 77 replies 32 participants last post by  Snap 
#1 ·
I've had my 2015 Hellcat Challenger over a year. Great car for the money and a good daily. Previously I had a 2012 SRT8. I had a Magnaflow exhaust on it and it sounded weak IMO.

But, I own a 493ci 69 Charger with 2.5" mild steel and glasspacks. There is no comparison in sound. (I know, I can't expect the modern car to sound as good, fine). I'd say we're talking 20 - 30 decibels difference at warm idle.

I don't believe the track or sport mode makes any difference to the valves no matter what other people say. The valves simply close at low RPMs and this is not a muscle car sound. Sure it's OK at WOT (although the blower is quiet as hell).

I have a 2014 Ferrari 458 and all I did was take off the rear diffuser and unplug the valve cannisters then plug the valves with bolts. This mod was like night and day. Even finicky Ferrari are even happy with this under my warranty. They even tidied it up for me at my last service. So what gives with Dodge making a quiet 707 HP car?? Please don't tell me back pressure and forced induction.....

------------

Rant over, sorry... I'll get to the point. I don't normally get emotional with first posts. I just want my big ass sublime green 707 hp car to be heard coming when I'm going through town without having to artificially shift gear and blip the throttle like a moron.

SO, has anyone found the solution yet? I've searched 3 hours tonight. Pulling fuse 36 and dealing with the warning light seems like the best option. Can I just leave the fuse unplugged or am I going to cause issues?

I want to pay someone to get this done.

If anyone has an update to the current situation I'd really appreciate it.

I'd prefer not to have cut outs and having it sounds like a machine gun. Let's just get rid of this stupid valve!!

PS on a similar subject, any quick mod to make the supercharger more audible?

See less See more
#4 ·
I agree with the above post. Do it. You won't be disappointed one bit.
I read about that, I assumed it would still be quiet for some reason. So I just get the exhaust guy to remove the front 2 mufflers and weld in pipe?

Doesn't it still go quiet at idle?

Sorry, I just reread my first post and came over quite frustrated/disbelief.
Thanks guys

#5 ·
I've had my 2015 Hellcat Challenger over a year. Great car for the money and a good daily. Previously I had a 2012 SRT8. I had a Magnaflow exhaust on it and it sounded weak IMO.

But, I own a 493ci 69 Charger with 2.5" mild steel and glasspacks. There is no comparison in sound. (I know, I can't expect the modern car to sound as good, fine). I'd say we're talking 20 - 30 decibels difference at warm idle.

I don't believe the track or sport mode makes any difference to the valves no matter what other people say. The valves simply close at low RPMs and this is not a muscle car sound. Sure it's OK at WOT (although the blower is quiet as hell).

I have a 2014 Ferrari 458 and all I did was take off the rear diffuser and unplug the valve cannisters then plug the valves with bolts. This mod was like night and day. Even finicky Ferrari are even happy with this under my warranty. They even tidied it up for me at my last service. So what gives with Dodge making a quiet 707 HP car?? Please don't tell me back pressure and forced induction.....

------------

Rant over, sorry... I'll get to the point. I don't normally get emotional with first posts. I just want my big ass sublime green 707 hp car to be heard coming when I'm going through town without having to artificially shift gear and blip the throttle like a moron.

SO, has anyone found the solution yet? I've searched 3 hours tonight. Pulling fuse 36 and dealing with the warning light seems like the best option. Can I just leave the fuse unplugged or am I going to cause issues?

I'd prefer not to have cut outs and having it sounds like a machine gun. Let's just get rid of this stupid valve!!

Yes put a K&N air cleaner on it or your choice any will let you hear the scream of theSC

#8 ·
Its about how much you're willing to spend. Taking control of a lin slave isn't tough. Duplicating its code isn't rough either. If you use software that comes with most analyzers out there. And spend some time learning lin. But acknowledging the ecu during start up and then running diagnostics drives up costs significantly, it did for me anyway. For me that meant either building or finding something that would act as both a lin slave and master. I did the latter. But it wasn't viable for resale based on materials costs. Not yet. Not just for valve control.

#14 ·
Thanks, still sounds a bit beyond me to be honest :( I doubt I'd find anywhere in the UK to do that for me. I think we only have a dozen hellcats here.

Borla has a valve delete (fool the cpu) option.
Not sure of part number, but check their website or give them a call.
I found them great to deal with.
Thanks, will make a contact, but before I do does this mean fitting a whole exhaust system? That's all I see on their website

#10 ·

------------

I have noticed that when I'm going down the highway if set everything to track mode from the default mode the volume of the exhaust will increase a little. Any combination of the setting other than that doesn't make difference.

#12 ·
I notice a big difference between street and track exhaust sound....but this is a factory exhaust and just wont sound like an old school car with glass packs and no cats....but to me it is the best sounding exhaust of any factory car I have owned...even better than most aftermarket exhaust.........and WTF are you talking about "although the blower is quiet as hell)".......LOL.....this isn't you Bo?.....

#18 · (Edited)
AWSOM50

Someone on here or another forum has a kit to relocate the valve controls then hold open valves themselves permenantly i think <160 U.S.
Just keep in mind that those exhaust valves also preserve torque at lower RPMS. Open Exhaust at low RPMS means less back pressure, which equals less torque in that range.

#21 ·
This to me is the best sounding stock exhaust I have ever heard. In fact I had a deputy Sherriff pull along side me yesterday and say is that stock? I said ya and he said it sounded great. That was one of 3 people yesterday that complimented the exhaust sound. I guess to each her own but if you want to get some attention don't worry about the exhaust and install the Bwoody intake and you will be amazed. People turn heads and freak out when they hear the cat coming. It's truly a game changer for me.

Reactions: Jcjmw
#22 ·
So far an electronic interface with the PCM has not been invented. Too many challenges involved in tapping into the code for the control of the valves because of the feedback communication the valves have with the PCM. Installing an AES simulator kit is your best option right now.

Here is the information and installation video:

#26 ·
Mid muffler delete, aka straight pipe.

Leave the cats, leave the resonators.

Still has manners during cruise, summons demons at full throttle, and if you need to rev it up for a friend, enemy, or just a fan, it has some serious bite, even in park.

Reactions: KillerCat
#27 ·

------------

Yes put cold air intake on it and for exhaust pull you cads off

#28 ·
Wow, I wish I did these when I first got the car. I feel like I wasted 4000 miles driving it stock.

I fitted the cold air intake and removed the mid resonators like you guys suggested. The blower now sounds like mad max (maybe 2 - 3x as loud as stock) and WOT the motor sounds like a nascar - perfect. It's still quiet at idle and low RPM but I guess it's kinda cool that way as the car can still be used quietly when needed. The car really lives up to its name with this IMO and I would recommend it to anyone.

What I wouldn't recommend is the K&N intake if you live in a place where it rains... I have a Drycharger sock on it but K&N tell me they have no plans to make a cover.

Thank you to everyone.

#63 ·
Wow, I wish I did these when I first got the car. I feel like I wasted 4000 miles driving it stock.

I fitted the cold air intake and removed the mid resonators like you guys suggested. The blower now sounds like mad max (maybe 2 - 3x as loud as stock) and WOT the motor sounds like a nascar - perfect. It's still quiet at idle and low RPM but I guess it's kinda cool that way as the car can still be used quietly when needed. The car really lives up to its name with this IMO and I would recommend it to anyone.

What I wouldn't recommend is the K&N intake if you live in a place where it rains... I have a Drycharger sock on it but K&N tell me they have no plans to make a cover.

Thank you to everyone.
I visited K&N booth at a car show. They now have a cover.

#38 ·
I don't think he knows what the supercharger sounds like if he says he can't hear it.
I was driving home from work yesterday and talking to my dad on the phone (hands free of course). When I accelerated when the light turned green ( and I drove normal) he asked me what the whining noise was. I told him it was the supercharger. I drive in sport mode most of the time in D.C traffic and the supercharger is noticeable at 35mph. Not as loud as when you lay into it, but noticeable. I am surprised this is one car you don't have to stomp to hear the whine. Damn, I love this car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.