Have a vibration? Rotate the wheels 180 degrees....

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by BlackbirdWS6, Jun 7, 2016.

1. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So my car has had a shake in the wheel since new and while I've had all of the Pirelli's replaced under warranty, the vibration has come back. The car is really good and I love it so the little things tend to annoy more than they normally would. I am having the dealer look at a whine in the rear which seems to not be uncommon with these cars but while I was there, asked them to diagnose and perhaps resolve the shake in the wheel/car.

The tech rode with me (he also owns a HC - cool!) and confirmed what I was feeling. They contacted SRT "Engineering" about the issues and the service writer tells me they recommend unbolting the wheels, rotating them 180 degrees and bolting them back on the car.....

I gave the service writer a funny look and he agreed he never heard that one before. They didn't have the rear end fluid in stock and I had to split for a meeting so I will need to go back. I asked him for clarification from the engineers as I just can't fathom what this will do.

2. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ya they probably meant rotate the tire 180 on the rim

3. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree with Aarcuda.... That said, rotating the wheel on the hub COULD, as in may or may not, change the harmonics enough to make the issue go away or make it more noticeable. In any event, that's a new one on me as well but, if they'll do it at no charge and you don't mind taking the time to do it, why not give it a try. If it doesn't help they most certainly should continue to try and work to find the problem.

Hopefully they'll find the problem very soon!!!! I can tell you from my own personal experience that FCA will stand behind these cars.

4. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I asked them to confirm but even still, if they rotate the tire but do not rebalance the entire assembly, it will surely throw the balance off. We will see how it goes but I asked for clarification in the interim.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. graycat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree 100%! In fact, if they have the wheels off of the car I'd hope that they'd rebalance the wheels and tires.

Please let us know how this turns out?

6. NMCAT

NMCAT SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just a thought but I'm thinking they meant put the wheels from front on the back and vice versa to see if the shaking goes to the back. This would indicate if it's a certain wheel or tire or whether it could be in the suspension or steering. If it stays the same then you know it's not the wheels or tires.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Will do!

Good thought but they were clear on they will literally take the wheel off, rotate 180 and bolt it back on the car. No mention of rebalancing or tire rotation to see if there is an offending wheel/tire. When I had the fresh set of new tires installed, they were road force balanced on a supposedly very pricey Hunter machine. It's weird the car would revert to the similar vibration symptoms after some miles. I should have marked the tire/wheel to know if the tire moved at all. The wheels checked out perfect.

8. Tire God 2.0

Tire God 2.0 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It sounds like the tires are moving on the wheels. You are not the first person on here to have this issue. Tell them to balance the bare rims, then mount the tires with no additional balancing. This is a feature built into hunters road force balancers. But make sure they mark the tires and wheels, as to position the tires back on the wheels exactly how it was before. If they balance the bare rims, the tires can move and it might not vibrate, or at least as bad. Only other option is to use some High Tack to glue the tires to the wheels to make sure they don't move.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    If they decide to try a rebalance, I will mark the tires/wheels this time so I can see if they are moving. It's the only logical explanation as I can't see it being anything else all things assuming to be OK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Huh? As I look at my PZero's don't they indicate one side is "Outside"? How would you spin it on the rim and still have the "Outside" out?

11. graycat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you put a chalk mark on the tire right next to the valve stem, take the tire off (or just break the bead on both sides) then rotate that mark 180 degrees and re-mount the tire. Don't flip it over, just rotate the mark 180 from the valve stem.

I hope this makes sense???

12. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ^^^This is probably the culprit...I had this issue on my 2013 stroker, Tires would ride smooth until I got on it then the vibration would start. We marked the wheels and tires and found the tire would move several inches.

I cured this by using RV rubber cement and mounting the tires dry. Hard as heck to get a 11in+ tire on the wheel w/o lube but it can be done. Tires never have moved since even though they have seen 30+ trips down the track with side wall wrinkling 1.6 sixty foots..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. CYCLER

CYCLER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member HCC Club Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My wheels are 5 lug so rotating 180° impossible.
    would have to be 144° or 216° :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is not all that uncommon with a "chain" of balanced components, it's due to harmonics that get developed when you put nominally, but individually, balanced components together to create what is effectively a single balanced assembly (but with individually balanced components) sorry for being redundant there...

It's the reason behind when you remove your flywheel from your crankshaft, you're supposed to put it back on in the same orientation/bolt pattern position as it came off. (If there aren't already index marks between the two components, make certain to add them prior to removal...)

It's rarely a problem with wheels however, but I'm sure the SRT engineers are stretching for whatever they might be able to suggest in order to solve the issue...

15. clickr

clickr Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I don't doubt the owners who say their tires have rotated on the rims. It makes perfectly sense that this could throw the wheel assembly out of balance. One simple thing to try would be to mark the tire, do your accelerations that would normally move the tire and recheck the mark. If they have rotated, have the wheel/tire re-balanced and then put some super-glue between the tire and rim at different spots around the bead on both sides. Then check for movement again. If you take pictures of the tire/wheel at the valve stem and compare later on you will be able to detect "creep". Maybe this could be evaluated with a non HC wheel/tire and then remove the tire and see what remains on the rim. I wouldn't want to ruin the HC rim. I would suspect the wheel coating is anodized, it should hold up.