Have you noticed.......

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by 69RT, Jul 7, 2015.

1. 69RT

69RT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ....just how many people have no idea as far as Hellcats are concerned? I don't know what the break down is but I would guess that a vast majority of people have no clue.

My wife is the one that first pointed this out to me. When we ride in the '69 R/T Charger, she is always commenting about people honking or giving us a thumbs up. She said that when we ride in the Cat.....nothing. I can go either way on the attention. It is nice to know that people appreciate what you have but it doesn't bother me to go unnoticed. If I want attention in the Cat, I just stomp on the throttle. ;)

Now, my car is stealthy in appearance being pitch black with no additional badging or stripes but my '69 is also black (it does have the R/T stripe on the deck lid). The reactions to the two cars are totally different. I know that regardless of your choice in manufacturer (Mopar, Chevy, Ford), a great majority of car guys love the '69 Charger. The '69 has been around a lot longer and more people have been exposed to the car's design throughout the years which may explain the difference.

Now for a few examples to back my opening statement:

- My wife and I stopped for an ice cream the other day. While sitting out by the car a 20 something walked by and asked...Is that one of them there Wildcats? At least he tried.... :rolleyes:

- I had a guy walk up to me the other day. He said that he was admiring my car but wanted to know what the emblem was on the car.

Last but not least....this one really pissed me off....My car was parked in a lot with open spaces on both sides. A roofing company truck backs next to my car but not into the open space. The crew jumps out and they begin unloading ladders (swinging them over the top of my car), throwing rolls of tar paper and bundles of shingles into the spot next to me. When I confronted the supervisor, he had no clue. Luckily for him, no damage was done to the car.

Don't get me wrong, not everyone is oblivious. I have run into a few people that know about the car and really enjoy seeing the car in person but not very many. Just the other day, a father and his 16 year old son were admiring the car and taking pictures. When I walked up they both reached out to shake my hand and congratulate me for owning such an awesome machine. They were true fans so I asked if they wanted pictures with each of them sitting behind the wheel...they immediately and simultaneously said yes. I really enjoyed watching their reactions.

I am not even sure why I started this thread. I guess that I am just curious to see what other members are experiencing. All that really matters to me is that I love the car and I am smiling before, during and after every drive.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. sublime6spd

sublime6spd Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I too have a 69 and have noticed the excact same thing. It's worse here in Canada LOL not many folks have a clue what a wildcat, thundercat errrrr Hellcat are LMAO

When I drive the 69 bikers give you thumbs up like your part of the pack!! Truckers honk and give thumbs up all the time....
    From little kids to senior citizens EVERYONE loves the 69 Chargers, but the hellcats just don't have the prestige YET.......
    Love them both but I was surprised how un noticed a Sublime green HELLCAT can go with the general public.
    9 times outta 10 they just compliment the paint colour but have NO IDEA what the car is....

Hard to put into words but after years of driving my charger I can certainly see a big difference on how the public views each car...

Both are awesome and weren't bought too impress others.... Life is short ;)

3. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's that way. Some people notice, give you thumbs up, smile, take pictures, etc. Others have no clue. Still others ignore you, jealous or try to make themselves feel big, by punching their little pruises. And there are the very few that are pissed, cause your damaging the environment with your gas guzzler, blah,blah.... April ran into one of them....

Regardless, the car is a rockstar and the people that matter notice, not everybody knows about cars or cares. That would piss me off too, the damn parking situation. I always park as far away as possible.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  4. Jungle Jim

Jungle Jim Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have similiar situation to both of you with my '70 AMX. I get the stares and thumbs up when driving the AMX and a few in the "Kat" but not as many. My biggest looks and compliments are, of course, at shows. Most enthusiasts there at least know what our "Kats" are and most go (excuse the word) gaga over it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. sublime6spd

sublime6spd Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    image.jpg

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Small town here, <210K pops in all of Jackson County OR. Add Jefferson and Coos Counties, and Klamath, your talking about a lot of square mileage still <500K. Spread out everywhere. But long history of hot rods and classic and muscle car interests. And newer generations into cars that turn them on. Aka cars are a big thing here.

Those into it recognize Hellcats but I'm only aware of 3 in such a large area.

I see car enthusiasts recognize them. I think it's cool they don't make a big deal over it. They do respect them for what they are which imo is a special car. And I'm good with that. Didn't buy one for attention.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Like the commercial says, if you know,, you know...my hellcat is a complete sleeper,, no hellcat badge, or hellcat wheels,, people ask me if I just changed the motor,, but at the same time, people with older cars know it's s hellcat...but I'm in the motor city,, and it's called that for a reason,, we're car people

• Like Like x 2
  8. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I live in a resort area ( Myrtle Beach, SC area) so this time of year we are over run with people so I may not be the norm but just going out for a burger last night I was approached from a 20 something asking if she could take a pic as her dad had one, then on the way home a SUV full of teenagers were all hanging out the window talking pics with cell phones as I pulled up beside them.
    I have had the car only a few days but so far every time I go out I get a thumbs up or something as people who know, know.
    This thing is a Rock Star in my area!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I got way more attention in my 68 RT or even the Viper than the Hellcat. But I like it that way.
    Nice to be more off the radar.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. sublime6spd

sublime6spd Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Until you really hit the loud pedal then there is NO HIDING WHAT IT IS....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Hubbs

Hubbs Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've noticed this as well near Dallas. Most folks are car ignorant. I've noticed 3 distinct types:
    1) Gearheads (~10%) - love the car and let you know
    2) Jealous or Haters (~5%) - look, but quickly look away
    3) Car morons (~85%) - "Y'know the speed limit is a LIMIT. That's why I drive 10 under....in my CRV (aka glorified riding lawnmower).
    :D

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Hubbs

Hubbs Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had a guy in a drive thru ask me if I had open headers. Seriously.

I just looked at him for a couple of seconds with a "are you serous?" look. I then said, "No, it's factory. Guess you don't know what this is."

He leaned out the window and immediately turned around excitedly saying "HELLCAT!!" I thought he might be kidding at first, but he wasn't. 2 other employess came over to check it out.

• Like Like x 2
  13. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    wandering around at shows, I like to walk up like another looking the car over and hear what they are saying :D
    I see people first look at the fenders to see what model it is.. a lot don't have a clue its a hellcat..

at a cruise-in last week I had a young 20 something guy come up and tell me what a nice car I had... then he went on to tell me "but I had my photo taken with a better one!" I was like "oh ok.. nice" then he said "yea it was a hellcat!" I just laughed... then told him to go look at the engine.. hood was up whole time, and he was looking it over prior... ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Scotty2Hotty

Scotty2Hotty Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    One of the best parts of these badass cars is that WE know what they are. I didn't buy it cause people were going to drool on the car, although its great when they do!! After driving this thing for over two weeks I know why I bought it.....the smile it brings to every persons face that rides in it when I put the peddle halfway down the floor....and then STOMP on it and they can't believe it. If people don't know what it is, it almost makes it better when they hear the kitty cat get after it! Have fun driving everyone!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you have to purchase a car to please somebody else, you should seek help.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2