Having a Shifting Problem With an A8

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Maintenance' started by pushnw8, Feb 29, 2016.

1. pushnw8

pushnw8 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wondering if anyone has had this problem? When I'm in street mode & sport mode I'm getting a very hard shift from 1st to 2nd smooth throughout the remaining gears. I'm currently on a road trip so when I return home it's going in for service. Just wanting to have a little info to give the service guys if this is a known problem.

2. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Register your car on dodge.com and you can get emails about software and recalls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Run the diagnostics and see if you get any indications.

4. pushnw8

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Didn't know I could run self diagnostics. I'll research this further.

5. TexasTorred

TexasTorred Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Had the same issue when I first got the vehicle for the first 500 miles. Really noticeable hard shift from first to second (especially when cold and got only slight better when the car was warmed up.) from around 400 to say 1,200 miles. Well, took the dealer and learned it was actually the anti-locking break system at slow speeds and not the transmission and the dealer indicated it would get better, let it break in. Now at 2,400 miles, it shifts smooth as butter, hardly even feel the shift from 1st to 2nd and believe me it was noticeable awhile back. I'm hoping yours is new(er) as well and will improve with mileage. Can't hurt to take to dealership and get it 'on record/paperwork' though. Best of luck.

First to Second Shift - lift shudder/jump.

6. pushnw8

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks I'm at 4500 miles and it just started doing it so I think I'm passed the break in period. My build date was around August 28,2015 so I'm assuming the TSBs from earlier in the year that recommended a TCM flash wouldn't apply to me. I have it scheduled to go in for service next week so I'll see what they come up with.

7. TexasTorred

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Best of luck. Doing the right thing 'under warranty' to bring to dealer and get that 'documentation.' Hopefully, no big deal. Be sure to put it in 'Valet Mode too' :) You know how that goes at the dealer:)

8. nycAirSpeed

nycAirSpeed Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    - I now have over 7,000 mi on my '16 & except for the first 350 rev limited miles, in all weathers, including 1,000+ mi road trips from Morgantown WV to Naples Fla., my setting is always track mode; in fair weather, or 50+ degree weather, its track mode & traction off - For the 1st 3,000 or so miles the 'clunky hard' shifts happened whenever the tranny couldn't figure out what I was doing, such as when rolling up to a red light required a touch more throttle before stopping. The severity of the clunk & its frequency diminishes over time; pro'ly due to wear, the 'learning' capability of the A8, & driver training. Driver training includes 3 fundamentals - 1) HellCat power is applied with 'patience' 2) There is a very narrow window where you can romp, stomp on, stab, or nail the throttle, so be smooth 3) The manual paddles work quite quickly in auto mode. -
    - Gotta question for you, is it only me, or do you & most A8 find owners find the stick's press forward to down shift & press back to up shift pattern useless & annoying? -
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  9. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    If you're used to driving a quarter-stick or pro-stick on a manual valve body with reverse pattern (drag racing), then it's as intuitive as tying your shoes. For the rest of the world, I suspect it feels bass ackwards.

Anyone here ever have a Hurst ratchet on a reverse pattern manual valve body trans? That would really be the closest thing to our current auto stick, but having had one on a standard pattern auto trans, I wasn't a fan of the ratchet. Pro Stick with reverse lock out was my favorite.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    At first it was annoying, but now intuitive.

Shifting goes with the G force. So if you are braking hard, and your hand bumps the shifter, it will downshift.

I shifted the wrong way twice, never did it again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. pushnw8

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Embarrassed to say I've never even used the paddles. I just assumed they were as useless as the ones on my 392. Took it in to the dealer and they stated that all my PCM software was up to date. The only thing they did was a radio update. For some strange reason I'm
    no longer having the problem I experienced earlier. The tech stated he couldn't get it to mimick the hard shift that I complained about go figure!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Glad it's "fixed", although troubling they don't know what caused the problem in the first place. Hopefully you did not follow TexasTorred's advice, as Valet mode would lock them out of first gear, and make it impossible to test your problem of shifting from first to second.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. pushnw8

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Na I didn't put it in Valet mode I've been dealing with the same service guys for the last 10 years so I trust them. Plus I had that same thought of them not be able to troubleshoot the problem properly.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TexasTorred

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Apologies......glad you have trust in your service guys and the hellcat self-healed:)

15. pushnw8

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No problem, it's the self healing I'm worried about.