HD Radio

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RoyG, Feb 22, 2015.

1. RoyG

RoyG Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have never had an HD radio before, was playing around a little with the one in the Hellcat.

It detected several stations with an HD signal, and when the HD was coming in it really sounded fantastic! But for the few minutes I was experimenting, it seemed like the stations spent more time "buffering" than in HD. (So for well under 1/2 the time it was actually in HD, the rest of the time it was plain stereo with the HD signal buffering).

Is this normal behavior? Is there anything that will improve the performance? Any insights welcome; thanks.

2. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i honestly havent used the HD radio, only SiriusXM, im so rural i imagine it would be the same.. i can barely get more then 4or 5 FM stations in any of the other cars

3. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The entire system is slow. The USB connection, the Bluetooth connection and the satellite radio. I was hoping the update would help but there are still glitches in the system. I am hoping for future updates to help with this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. RoyG

RoyG Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'm noticing that: I was trying the Pandora and takes longer to change songs than on my home system. (I haven't tried the Bluetooth yet but I can imagine how it will go). I hope it is a fixable software issue rather than an underpowered hardware problem. (I know, sounds funny to say there may be something underpowered about the Hellcat...).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So those that have HD radio,, do you feel it's useful,, or is xm just as good

6. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I can't speak to the hellcat HD radio yet, but living in Houston, HD radio is solid. The sound difference is immense from HD to normal and I'm not an audiophile (or whatever those people are called) but it's very noticeable. Rural areas I could see it being an issue for sure with popping in and out....but heck my dads satellite radio pops in and out through the rolling hills of Pennsylvania.

7. dodgeboy

dodgeboy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Satellite radio is different, and the sound quality of Sirius/XM is less than that of just about any other form of music out there. Standard FM sounds far better than Sirius/XM. But satellite radio brings an incredible amount of variety, which makes it worthwhile for me. And it seems like the generation that has grown up on MP3s doesn't notice the lacking quality of satellite radio as much. I grew up on LPs, so I notice it quite a lot. :) Satellite radio compresses the heck out of the audio, so that they can cram so many channels into the band. This makes a lot of the content sound "flat." There's not a lot of channel separation, and the extreme highs and lows are completely gone.

HD radio annoys me in a different way. I've never heard it in the Hellcat, but I don't imagine it's any different. It seems like they artificially punch up the highs and lows to make it sound more brilliant. But to me, it just sounds fake. And as it transitions in/out of HD (when the signal is not great), you notice the fakeness even more. I've actually disabled HD on some longer trips, to force it to give me good old analog FM (which sounds just fine, in my opinion). The only real benefit (if you can call it that) to HD is that there is no noise because it is a digital signal. However, my brain can easily filter out a bit of hiss here and there, in a standard FM signal. It can't seem to filter out the occasional digitization, and fading between HD and standard FM when the signal gets weaker. I'd much rather have the good old FM.

Give me good old FM, any day of the week. I hope the radio in the hellcat (when it arrives) allows you to disable HD FM.

This turned into a bit of a rant. Sorry about that!

• Like Like x 1
  8. caren

caren Hell-o Kitty

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I've never, ever had bad audio with Satellite radio. For me it's always been worlds above regular radio.

9. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Same for me! I hate listening to FM because I live about an hour from the major city where most stations are located and I can't stand any bit of static in the radio, drives me bat sh*t crazy when there is static!!! Satellite is clear and sounds much better. If we have sketchy weather, kinda often, then it cuts in and out. I mostly listen to iPhone through bluetooth or connect to the USB. It is slow to change songs but the quality is MUCH better!