Headers and small pulley

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by Fast cat, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Was wondering if you could get by with headers and a small pully without a tune. A while back I talked to a guy who installed headers and when he did that he lost a pound Or more of boost.
    So I was wondering if we could get by running a 285 upper with a set of headers and no tune

2. @srt_n8

@srt_n8 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Short answer is no

3. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Lost a lb of boost?? Boost is the measure of pressure in the intake as a result of the pumping of air from the supercharger. basically backpressure. The supercharger is going to pump a specific amount of air at a specific RPM. I believe that when you add the headers, he had better cylinder scavaging so the supercharger saw less restriction (i.e., backpressure) but no reduction in the amount of air pumped. So The headers allow you to pump the same amount of air but with less drain on the the engine power because there less residual gases in the cylinders causing less restriction on the blower. Should result in more output power since the power it takes to spin the blower is less.

think of a hand pump that you use to pump up a bike tire. Each stroke will pump a certain amount of air. In free air, it will pump X amount of air and require Y amount of force. At the tire fills, theres backpressure. The pump will still pump X amount of air but it will take more force since you are forcing the air into a rubberized ballow which is causing a restriction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Next Phase

Next Phase Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No hands on experinece yet with the HC's, but I added headers to my LS2 Magnusson SC'd vette. Lost a pound of boost and lost horsepower... (added a pulley to gain the boost back).

I believe the same will happen with the Hellcats. Just adding headers will lower boost and HP. Probably why you haven't seen any vendors on here showing what the dyno results are with their headers. My 2 cents.

I'm still waiting to see dyno results from just headers. Anyone have any real world experience with headers on the HC?

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Dances With Empties

Dances With Empties Gold Member

Where rednecks are nervous of hillbillies
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not going to do it myself: But before I'd buy headers, I'd look to see what could be gained from a tune, tires & a one piece driveshaft... I'm not saying there may not be gains with headers, but it doesn't sound like it's a must have mod... Just my uneducated 2 cents.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rick@Metco

Rick@Metco Gold Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Losing one pound of boost or so is typical with headers. As mentioned, boost is a measure of pressure in the engine, and the headers serve to relieve some of the pressure. The big power gains come from adding back the lost boost.
    With any changes in airflow, the tune should at least be looked at to confirm that A/F is within range and the amount of spark timing is appropriate.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. MaxxMuscle

MaxxMuscle Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    • Like Like x 1