Heading for a T&T this evening on DR's. Need some quick tips

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Racing Forum' started by BlackbirdWS6, Jun 15, 2016.

1. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So I've done a healthy amount of reading but since my track only let's us get 3 runs, I want to make each of them count. I've raced plenty of times at the track with various cars so I'm not a track newbie but want to cut right to the chase. Track prep, weather, driving and how the car is doing that day will surely effect the results but I think you know what I'm getting at.

The car is a bone stock Charger HC sans a DSS driveshaft and 18x10 wheels with MT Street R rubber (305s).

Car settings:
    Trans - Track
    Suspension - Street
    Traction - All the way off of course
    I will let the car do the shifting.

Tires:
    Start at 18psi and see how they do, drop them no lower than 16 for the evening.

Burnout:
    Get some good wheel speed and when I see them smoking, let off and coast to the line. No need to do a John Force burnout.

Launching:
    Should I punch it from idle or roll into WOT?
    Should I stall it up a touch or a lot?

Thanks for the tips. I'm not banking on a high 10 this evening with the weather but we will see. Regardless, it should be fun.

• Like Like x 2
  2. MattG

MattG Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    What part of the country are you in. And the name of the track your going to.

I am gassing up the car this afternoon for a Friday night drive to Beaver Springs In Selingsgrove, Pa.
    T & T there is $25 on Friday nights.
    (Supposed to rain tomorrow. and a car show on Fathers Day at Reagle Dodge.)

Bone stock. OEM tires. I will let you know how i make out.
    Good luck on your runs.

Matt

3. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'm located in NJ and will be running at Englishtown tonight. It's the closest track to my work so it's just more convenient. For the best times, I run my other car at Atco at a track rental. Good luck on your runs. Dancing on the stock rubber is quite an art.

4. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I haven't had my HC to the track yet but I have been dozens of times with my 2013 SRT stroker. It is N/A and cuts low 11s, I run the same tires you will be using. I do everything you posted except I hold the brakes then bring the rpms to about 1,000 rpm then mash the go pedal to the floor on the last amber light. The MT Rs hook better than any DR I have tried. Good enough to clean the teeth off my ring gear last year,,:confused:

• Like Like x 1
  5. PlumTexasCrazy

PlumTexasCrazy HELLCAT LIFE MEMBER Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Have a blast!!!

6. PlumTexasCrazy

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I got some great info from this forum for the drag strip!! Hope this helps!!

1/4 MILE DRAG STRIP

7. Q5Dart

Q5Dart Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Go Fast!!!

8. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the link. It was helpful.

So last night was a lot of fun but definitely room for improvement. The DA wasn't the best but not horrendous (1700 and dropping to 790). I ran a best of 11.2 @ 123 with a 1.68 60'. I only got 3 runs which is typical for T&T at this track but it's close so that's why I went here. The tires (Street R's) HOOKED and I had zero traction issues but the wheels did spin on the tire unfortunately. I had these mounted dry so I will need to figure this out so I can maintain a good balance.

I was surprised at the low MPH and generally softer 60' though.

List of excuses include ;) :

- The car was sitting in line idling for a while before I could run so IAT's were likely pretty terrible which I think yielded the lower MPH in my opinion.

- Air could have been better that night

- Nearly full tank of gas (filled up on Tuesday not knowing I would be making to the track lol)

To Do's for the next time out:

- Start at a higher tire pressure. It's clear I had plenty of traction last night so starting a bit higher would be the right way to go. I was at 18 psi the entire night.

- Less fuel.. Duh!

- Figure out how to get the car out of the hole harder. Any tips on this would be appreciated. The first run I did an "idle punch". It felt like there was a slight delay before it took off but it netted me the 2nd best 60 of the night. On the 2nd run, I stalled the car reasonably and that was my best 60 but by a small margin. The 3rd run I did a light stall and tried to flash the converter which led to my worst 60 but only by a small bit. Anyone have any recommendations on launch style here?

There is a Mopar track night coming up next Friday at a different track which should allow for more runs. We will see how that goes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. M18 Hellcat

M18 Hellcat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Why do you presume to turn the traction control off? I have better times when it is on. If you are not having any traction issues the car will not pull timing and if you are it will react quicker than you. Good luck and have fun.

10. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I turn it off for the burnout (I know Sport will let you spin them if not going sideways) and don't see a need to turn it back on. Plus I won't mind a little bit of slip.

11. PlumTexasCrazy

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats..sounds like u had Fun!! Not sure in the the mph!! My first time on stock wheels was 125.6-127.. Sounds like some more runs and you will hit that 10 Sec mark!!! That's what I'm shooting for while keeping motor stock!! Thanks for the info!!

12. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks. I'm not overly concerned with the MPH. It will come up with much better air that we are able to get in NJ during the late fall, early spring time frame. If you were spinning, I can see you pulling a higher MPH.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have found the best 60 foots are with about a 1200 RPM launch. But it will vary with heat soak etc. So it can be confusing. I try to cool my car down and then only start it to move it up and turn it off right away. If you got 3 runs you were getting a cooldown (with the hood open?), but like you said you can sometimes have to idle a lot getting to the bleach box. Here is a fact, if I try to stick it out and let the car idle, someone will break right in front of me causing me to heat soak. So I always try to keep shutting the motor off.

I recommend running traction control in Sport because it is pretty much hands off and idiot proof and one less thing to keep track of. If you double tap the SRT button it puts you right into the custom mode and then you are ready to race. Other than putting the trans in manual for the burnout and then back in auto/drive for the run.

I am not sure what tires you have for sure but for the 305/45R18 ET Street "R" , Mickey Thompson says to use 12 to 16 PSI. I called them and that is what I was told. So you definitely do not need more pressure. Think of it this way, if you had 40 PSI it will wear out the center of the tire when you do your burnout. But 18 will give you less rolling resistance than 16 so your MPH will be better.

I cannot use 18 PSI at Irwindale. It will spin for sure. When we get to the end of the night I sometimes go down to 13-14 PSI otherwise I won't hook. DAMN, Englishtown and Atco. I am SUPER envious.

I suck , because I also run a FULL tank and 75 pounds of junk in the trunk. I am too afraid of not hooking and making a good pass. I suppose I might be a little quicker at a good track.

Good luck and keep posting your results.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sawdust

Sawdust SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Maple Grove June 24th?

15. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I should have clarified, a local club track night. North Jersey Mopar at Island Dragway. I don't expect great prep but seems these tires don't really need it.