Heat Soak

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by buddyg, Dec 24, 2015.

1. buddyg

buddyg Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Is anyone having heat soak issues at the drags or road course? I know Dodge said you could run the car for 20 minute track sessions with no power being pulled. Is this the case?

• Like Like x 1
  2. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Never noticed any drop off with mine Buddy. I ran strong all day and drank plenty of gas. I ran it in good conditions low 70 degree day. All did well except that was the day we exposed the radiator flaw (I was still able to drive 150 mi and get to the dealer). Only other thing on a road course is the power steering fluid will boil out a bit. It will get changed before the next trip.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Are you having problems with this Buddyg or just inquiring?:confused:

4. buddyg

buddyg Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No I belong to the CTS-V forum and they were discussing the Z06 which has had some issues with heat soak. Someone brought up the Hellcat and how Dodge said it could run 20 minute sessions without pulling power. I just wanted to confirm it with real customer cars.

Dodge did a great job controlling the heat issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. DGatzby

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yep, it will run 20 minutes without heat soak, but watch the gas gauge!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Angel

Angel Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Stupid question here I'm sure but why is the power steering fluid boiling and what are you changing it to?

7. Hb hellcat

Hb hellcat Black Betty...BamAlam!!!

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Ran mine hard at the track. Multiple 20 min sessions, no heat soak. Yes power streering fluid overflow and yes boiled brake fluid, but NO heat soak. Ran every bit as strong at end as at beginning!
    Good fluid and pads fixed brakes. Still not sure about ps fluid, lowering level hasn't helped and uneasy about changing fluid due to warranty.
    These things are HEAVY.! Brakes and tires seem to be the biggest issues when running real hard, auto cross doesn't seem to be as hard on brakes, but tires are considered expendable equipment.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TrackDay

TrackDay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    DGatzby, I think you said before you got some Porterfield pads. Can you share the details?

Hb Hellcat, what pads did you use?

9. Moparmadman

Moparmadman Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I made 4 top speed passes in a row with a 50 shot of nitrous(on at 4200,off a 6000rpm)and on the 4th pass,"Bleep,Bleep,Bleep",big red light and warning on dash.Temp was pegged!I was like."OH CRAP!!"Slowed down to "human" speed's and cruised around slowly,temp was back to normal within 5 minutes!!These car's will take a Hellacious kicking and keep on ticking!!;):DAnd no,no detrimental effect's afterward.

10. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Interesting issue with the powder steering fluid boiling. The Cats already have a power steering oil cooler fitted.

11. hellbound

hellbound BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

12. ReoTom

ReoTom Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No heat soak on Hellcats that I've heard..

13. BODUKE

BODUKE Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you drag race any street car with hot laps your performance will be affected.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DGatzby

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Porterfield R4-S. Great pads in all respects for the street and especially the track. They are not zero dust, but I would say reduced dust from the OEM pads.

Never thought twice about the brakes. Just have to bang them on harder! I am the type of driver who hardly uses brakes on the street. So to switch to the need to absolutely slamming them on to the point before lockup every few seconds really drives me up the wall! I am also a VR nut (RR3), that helps with the lines around the track, but the braking part don't translate.

Mr CrazyCoyote I don't agree that I need to change the differential or oil for the track. For one thing there is one specified oil for the HC engine that I know of. Also, you know our engines have cooling, lubrication and circulation systems designed for racing? If I bust that engine on the track, not modified, I have a 100,000 mile free insurance policy to cash in. As for the differential, forget it. I could care less about that whining POS. If that gear box makes that much noise, it must be substantial. But since I believe it could be better hope it fails next time out.

It was asked above why PS fluid. So if you have a pump and suddenly it runs at high speeds, much higher speeds; the fluid will get warmer along with higher pressures, thus expansion and then some "boil" or overflow. I am going to allow the boys down at the dealership recommend and change mine out. I do agree with the Coyote on the DOT4 type. Several brands are out there.

Alright....Happy New Year! You guys have to tell us up north what you are doing, our Cats are parked and quiet.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Jimmys cat

Jimmys cat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    All depends on temps. I went to track yesterday. 11am runs were decent at 85 degrees. By 1pm it was 93 degrees out times were aweful barely 11s some low 12s. I pulled 11.7 1.9 60. At 93 degrees I pulled 11.65 with 1.6 60. Something was definitely off with that run 1.6 should've been low 11s. Or somethings wrong with the car