Heated Seat and Wheel Hard Switches

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Electronics' started by zippy, Jul 26, 2015.

1. zippy

zippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I love my car, I really wished that FCA had Hard switches for the heated seats and wheel. (they do have them for the rear heated seats.)
    I am fairly familiar with veh wiring.
    Was thinking of adding them somewhere. Would prefer to do it on the steering wheel using the "police" package switches but would do it elsewhere if I had too.

I am sure that the seat module receives a can bus signal from the uconnect system.

Does anyone know what can-bus signals for these commands are ? In past cars I used to send a voltage signal with a certain resistor into the can bus for various commands. ie trunk pop, door unlocks etc as when installing a remote start system.

Not sure if these cars are like that or not.

Thanks for reading . . . .

zip

2. dodgeboy

dodgeboy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I've always complained about this, too. I do like that they give you the "shortcuts" on the radio screen when you first start the car. But I agree that there should be hard buttons. I'm certain that the radio is using the CAN bus to command the seats to turn on, but I don't know the specifics. I think the only way to make physical buttons accomplish this task is to have the buttons wired to a device that interfaces with the CAN bus. That device could send signals on behalf of the buttons. I know this is possible, because people used to make interfaces for the iPods, etc., before it was available from the factory. Unfortunately, I don't have the experience with the CAN bus to know the details. Perhaps this could be done with a Raspberry Pi?

3. zippy

zippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for your thoughts dodge boy

My past experience was to put a momentary 12v with a specific resistance value into the can bus. I just don't know if these cars have that ability and what that resistance value would be for each command

I am sure I can buy momentary switches somewhere but I would need to know the commands being used

4. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    data exchange between the modules is achieved by serial transmission of encoded data messages. introducing regulated voltage to the bus circuits is not recommended. it most likely would crash the bus and render communications impossible.
    perhaps you used to tap into MUX circuits and not CAN bus circuits?

5. zippy

zippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    You are correct fnky.

Its been a while (a few years !), I do believe it was the MUX circuit as you said

Well, I will have to re-think . . . .

Thanks for the input very much. PS - Your input was invaluable when I put subs in my car, I really appreciate it !

zip

6. zippy

zippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Just to revisit,

Does anyone know of a can-bus interface that is customizable for this purpose or whom/company I may contact?

Thanks

zip