Heating the garage

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BlackCat15, Feb 26, 2015.

1. BlackCat15

BlackCat15 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I've come by a few natural gas radiant heater units that have only months of use on them. I was thinking of putting one of them in my garage. These are pretty small physically but rated 115/150k BTU (two stages). They were up at 22' with about 40 feet (in 10 foot sections) of radiant heating tubes. I think I can manage about 40 feet of length in my garage as well and I have clearance to the floor but may have to dial back the output a little since my ceilings are only 9'2".

Has anyone used radiant heat in a garage? Have you had any concerns or issues with your vehicles? I store a motorcycle in the garage now and hope to keep my Hellcat in there too but don't want her melting.

Attached Files:

2. JBS$

JBS$ Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Save yourself a lot of money, go to WalMart, buy a $20.00 electric heater. It will keep the temp. bearable and will only add $5 to 10 bucks to your bill when needed.

3. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They work really well. I do not know the formula for sizing. That may be a factor. Plus air infiltration. Amount of insulation is not as important its the drafts are what cools it off fast. Weather strip your doors and windows. Its also best to keep a certain temp to keep the cement floor warm. Lots of heat is held in the floor slab. Plus if you are like me and have no lift, you are laying on the floor under a car. Nice to have a floor thats not frozen.

4. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i have issues with open flames in an inclosed area where gasoline is stored.. especially if its attached to your house.. but im a son of a firefighter and have a bit of fire paranoia instilled in me ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. 70Cuda

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    These bad boys hang on the wall or ceilings, so you have lots of space away from those items, but its kinda funny since hot air rises they push the air down, not the most efficient but they do work. Most of our ice rinks around here have them in the bleacher sections. Lots of repair shops have them. Its 5 out today and all the shops are open.

6. BlackCat15

BlackCat15 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    They're actually free as they came from a building we're renovating. I can get one installed free in exchange for one of the units and some tube.

There is no open flame, it's a sealed box unit about 18 inches by 18 inches by 12 inches. The tubes have reflectors and need 4" clearance from ceiling. Obviously a thermostat would be needed. I was thinking of putting on a 45 degree angle around the outside wall directing heat inward.

7. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think that depends on where you are located, how your garage is built and the size of the garage. A $20 WM heater wouldn't do a damn thing in my garage.

8. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Do it your costs are zip you may want some fans to circulate heat jealous go forth and conquer! Tie fans to temp control.

9. 70Cuda

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Looks like the OP is in Canada, I doubt the heaters will work up there. Probably would be ok in more southern reigns of the US.

10. BlackCat15

BlackCat15 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you 70Cuda for your suggestions about weather stripping, etc.

I'm jealous of anyone that can use a $20 space heater to stay warm, we're using those colder spots indoors and they help. Heating the air in the garage is probably out due to cost and losing all the heat every time you open the garage. Radiant as I understand it heats the surfaces. I was mostly looking to see if anyone had used this in a residential garage over the long term without any adverse affects on their car or other objects.

Our average overnight temperature has been 5 F (-15 C) over the last month with it getting much colder at times.

11. HCone

HCone Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My Garage is 20 X 30 , I was a 230 volt box style construction heater, works fine, may not be the cheapest option, but it keeps the garage at least 50 degrees all winter.

12. 70Cuda

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Your like the same temps as us here in Wisconsin its 5 F out today. Lots of auto shops have that kind of system in the shops some have muscle cars stored in there but the ceilings are higher so that is the unknown. Your ceilings are 9' tall most shops are probably double that I would guess.

13. 45colt

45colt Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have two radiant heaters in my garage, I have 1 on each end of the garage, it is 34' by 70'
    I think the heaters are about 26' long , my ceilings are about 18' high, they work excellent in my garage
    You can feel the heat when they kick on . I keep the temp about 40F to 45F.unless I am working in there
    then turn up but heats up, quickly, Nice even heat, heats up objects not the air, I think top clearance needs is about 4" , below about 36"
    to anything combustible,

14. RCC Turbos

RCC Turbos Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Seen many garages with 8-10 ft ceiling use those heaters, they work well, typically no need to circulate the air, as those heaters are radiant, all the items in your garage will absorb the heat, then those objects will heat the air,

Richard

15. themarshall

themarshall Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Phila. Pa. area. I have a Modine Hot Dawg propane fed from outside. Last week -1 temp outside with wind. Inside 51 deg. temp, In this area come big or stay home. My bones wont work for long on the floor otherwise. Just my own way of dealing wiffit.