Hellcat 6.2L Short Block

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Builds' started by KirkS, Oct 4, 2016.

1. KirkS

KirkS Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I have a 2015 SRT that has a Whipple 2.9L supercharger, Kooks long tube headers with high flow cats, and a Borla ATAK cat Bach exhaust. It was dyno'd at 610 rep and 564 ft/lbs torque. It still has a stock bottom end so I've been looking at options for forging the bottom. While researching options, I came across a 6.4L to a 6.2L conversion kit sold by Steve White. The kit contains a built OEM Hellcat 6.2L short block, Hellcat cam and lifters, all timing parts, and the oil pump, all for a little over $6K and no core charge. To finish building the engine you use the heads, oil pan, timing chain cover, and accessories from your 6.4L.

Originally, I was going to get a 426 stroker short block and add the parts from my 392 but now I'm leaning towards the Hellcat short block because the block has more webbing and more cooling jackets than the the 392 block.

Question is, am I going down the right path? I would be giving up a small amount of displacement but would that really make a difference at 10 to 12 psi? Would the Hellcat 6.2L block be more durable and reliable than a stroked 392 block? Would I be able to get a start up tune so I could drive it to one of the big name performance shops for a dyno tune? If I decided to go with the conversion kit, would there be a market for selling the 392 as a short block?

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Kirk

2. moparmangamble

moparmangamble Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ask yourself what your goal is? Now several of us Hellcat guys are going to a Built shortblock next year. What are your goals/limits? Think about it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. KirkS

KirkS Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    The goal is to the have the most durable forged bottom end so power can be added without the concerns of blowing up the bottom end. Right now I have 610 rwhp and would like to eventually get to somewhere between 800 to 900 rwhp. I don't need to get there all at once but want the ability to get there eventually.

Kirk

4. shadowsk

shadowsk Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Send Skip at Demon Performance a message and tell him to look at your thread. They would have you covered either route you go.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LaserDoc

LaserDoc Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    DemonSkip provides exemplary customer service and straight forward info based on your needs.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DemonSkip

DemonSkip Gold Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the ref guys!

It's up to you Kirk. The HC factory shortblock is a good factory piece. We have been selling stock versions for srt to hc swaps and built hc strokers and our forged units like wildfire lately. Personally, I like running stroke on a blower. Esp on a hungry blower. If it was my vehicle, I'd go stroker. If you're looking to get most out of your money, the hc swap isnt a bad deal after you consider selling your 392 runner off. We offer a 2 year no questions asked warranty on stock HC shortblocks....that may be something to consider. I can most likely meet or beat what your seeing for the Steve White price and weve got your back for support too. It's not as simple as dropping it in and rolling. Id consider top end upgrades if you're planning on doing this.

The only thing I don't like about the HC shortblock is the rods...guys are now finding out the hardway what I've been saying for months now. Powder forged rods arent great for big power. The block has more gussets and is a stouter piece, physically.

I guess it all boils down to the budget and where you will stop as far as power goes. A 2.9l whipple isn't going to get you to 1000whp on a 6 rib drive. The HC owners are lucky they have a 10 rib dedicated blower drive...

7. catdodgehell

catdodgehell Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What rods do you recommend?

8. DemonSkip

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    In the stroker HC applications we run a custom Carrillo rod with CARR rod bolts, our custom spec'd Diamond pistons and either forged or billet cranks. In the forged HC motors we run the same style combo but with a forged factory crankshaft.

9. catdodgehell

catdodgehell Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What about a stock making 950rwhp? I do not want to blow mine up. I don't drive it hard all the time just short runs.

10. DemonSkip

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I would recommend one of our forged HC shortblocks or strokers if that's the case. There have been plenty of cases of guys making around the same power levels as you are on the stock motor but then again the stock HC motor was never designed for that type of abuse.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. HellcatSkylerLVN

HellcatSkylerLVN Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    What does a replacement block run?

What does an upgrade block run?

12. DemonSkip

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    HellcatSkylerLVN pricing varies based on the application/components but a factory HC shortblock runs about 4500 bucks. Our base forged shortblock for the Hellcat runs $8300 and up. We run an extremely stout set of pistons and industrial strength rods along with either a forged OEM, forged stroker or billet crankshaft along with all high performance bearings and ARP main studs as a standard in our HellCat engines.

Demon Performance Forged HellCat Engines and Engine Parts Now Available!

HellCat STROKER Engines Now Available at Demon Performance!

What this includes:

Custom Spec'd Diamond Pistons
    Hard Anodized Piston Coatings
    H-13 Wrist Pins
    Custom Total Seal Rings
    Custom Carrillo ProH Connecting Rods with CARR Rod Bolts
    ARP Main Studs
    H/HX Performance Bearings (coated where applicable, use based on achieved bearing clearance)
    Jet Washing Block
    OEM Crank or Stroker Crank (Forged)
    Crank Polishing
    Precision Balancing
    CNC Deck
    Torque Plate Diamond Hone
    Assemble Piston Rack
    File Fit Rings
    Assemble Shortblock
    Measure and Check Clearance
    Paint/Package

• Like Like x 1