Hellcat and traffic tickets in Ontario...

Discussion in 'Canada' started by srt.charger, May 25, 2016.

1. srt.charger

srt.charger Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Hi everyone,
    Wow is this car ever a cop magnet. Now I know what everyone meant. 6 months of ownership and stopped 2 times. Been driving this way for 11+ years and never once have I been stopped by police (and I have had fast cars in the past).

Anyways, I got a stupid fine for not having my licence on me. It does bother me that it will taint my record and a single traffic ticket in Ontario can cost you $3000 in insurance increase over the next few years.

Have you guys ever fought these types of tickets in Ontario and which paralegal or legal service did you use? Thanks!

2. FLEX

FLEX Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    That is a non-moving violation and won't hurt your insurance rates at all.

I had one bad experience in my 2010 SRT8 with an overzealous OPP officer with a Napoleon Complex and a strong lack of knowledge about cars; especially the difference between the sound of acceleration under WOT and the sound of engine braking, which prompted me to buy my dashcam, but not much trouble in my 392s.

Got pulled over once right after I bought my 2015 for the license plate covers (slight blue tint) and once on the 401 blowing past a cruiser parked on the side. Let me off with a warning.

No experiences yet with the 2016...

<knocks on wood>

• Like Like x 1
  3. 392shaker

392shaker Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I got pinched as well with a ticket for no plate just a grab IMO. I see may other cars with out plates and tinted cover and no issues for them.:mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. srt.charger

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    That's a relief to hear. But I think that you won't be taken as seriously as if you had a clean record. The next time I get stopped for something I won't have credibility :(

I honestly thought I was the only one thinking some officers think the sound of a car equates speeding. The first time I got stopped was within the first week. I was keeping up with traffic and cars usually travel faster than me on that road yet I was the one stopped. More so because of the sound, I'm thinking. But he left me off with a provincial (documented) warning.

And OPPs are savage. LOL.

5. srt.charger

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    For sure. This car just gets too much attention from LEOs. What really ticked me off is he stopped me for no reason, which is not allowed. His claim was, because I accelerated too quickly and was "flying" according to him that he thought I was DUI. So he stopped me for suspicion of DUI (I do not even drink - ever).

But Yeah OK. I just left a red light and saw him literally 4 meters after and calmed it but he came after me anyway. He also asked me how much HP it has and his eyeballs proceeded to protrude out from his sockets. He then complimented my driving and said you have so much skill wow..I watched you control that thing and he kept saying wowowow you have skill. So yeah, if I was DUI...how can I control it? :mad::mad:

6. FLEX

FLEX Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I'm on my 4th Charger now and the first 2 had aftermarket exhausts and I can tell you for SURE lots of people equate sound with speed. Not just cops. Been harassed in my townhouse complex and at work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. srt.charger

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    lololol. This makes me crack up because I've been getting people get pissy everytime I go by them or on the highway because of the sound. What makes you so special that you think I'm doing this to you? All of a sudden, other drivers become traffic law enforcers telling you to slow down. I would not be surprised if we get our license plates reported for everything our car makes some noise because they mix it up with speed.

Man people are just ridiculous. I can't believe some people just take everything others do to heart and take it personally. If they keep on living this way, pretty soon they will retire this life from cardiac arrest.

Yesterday, I was on the highway, construction zone was 80km and this guy in the middle lane was going 65 or so. I was on the slow lane because it was empty. As soon as 100 begins hit I accelerated. 5 mins later this car comes beside me at the exit ramp (on a red light). I hear absurdly loud clapping noises. I look up confused and stared at him like a squinting homer simpson for a good 5 seconds. He kept clapping so I just cracked up and he left. I finally remembered the car 1 eternity later.

Ok flex you know we live in a highly diverse area with a lot of immigrants who don't know much about cars. This guy was an older indian gentleman so he may not know but still LOL. I should have pointed towards my dash cam when he did that.:D

I had a middle age lady screaming at me from behind her window when I had my twin turbo V6. This thing was not even that loud except for a minor groan and the sucking in air turbo noise. I accelerated to 60 km in a 60 zone and she went bezerk at the next red light and had her hands flailing like crazy and telling me to slow down. If I had this car she would have probably died from giving herself heart failure.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. FLEX

FLEX Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Lulz

I've experienced more stupid shit from idiotic people in the last 10 years since I've been driving HEMIs than I have time to type out here.

The funniest had to be the woman in a beat up pickup that followed me home one night to yell at me because I was "driving too fast" according to her. Well she was right behind me the whole way. The irony of her actions was lost on her.

The number of people that accuse me of "cutting them off" just because I pass them is astounding. If I am going faster than you, how the hell can I cut you off???

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. srt.charger

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    LOL so so true. I honestly thought I was the only one getting all these crazies. It must be the GTA.

This is my first HEMI so I wouldn't know but it makes sense.

These people are just JELLY. Another one is when you accelerate the person beside you gets too excited and accelerates with you and thinks you're doing this for him. Then at the next red light they act like they're going to go for it by constant rolling and then not go and then laugh at you when you step on it. As if I was doing this for you in the first place haha.

I just keep huge smile on my face the whole time..that seems to make them butthurt and leave.

10. FLEX

FLEX Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I coined a phrase years ago on ChargerForums about this: I called it the HEMI Effect.

People see the HEMI or SRT badge and their IQ drops by 50% and they start driving like dickheads.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. srt.charger

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    haha that's a good one! I never knew people knew that much about HEMI's though.

Do you think tints will scare off these maniacs? Not knowing who is in the vehicle can be scary for some lol. I'm also kind of sick of people swerving into me and trying to cause an accident because the SRT badge makes them go totally mental as you said.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  12. FLEX

FLEX Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I don't see very well at night but I got 20% tint all around except windshield of course. I wouldn't want it any darker. At night I have to roll the windows down when making turns.

But I think wearing sunglasses and having dark tint is a good thing when driving. People are less aggressive when they can't tell if you see them or not. Too may times in my SRT8 (no tint) had people make eye contact then pull right out in front of me. They figure you have a nice car you won't run into them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. srt.charger

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yep very true. I've noticed this in my SUV which is higher and 30% pinnacle tints. Less crazies. But that's still a bit light for me. I'll try eating some carrots to see better at night. o_O

14. upnorthstar

upnorthstar Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Police came to my house at night....said a Neighbor a few streets down was a cop and he followed me home to locate me and report...so they come I guess a few days later and explain they aren't charging me because they have no evidence but I am on the radar...lol..I said I never speed officer it's just noise and the acceleration factor...they understood

15. Mr Bigblock

Mr Bigblock Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ya but call them that someone has done a B&E into your house, they will say do u have insurance