Hellcat at Nurburgring

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by GoodCaptain, Mar 10, 2016.

1. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    It appears that the Hellcat was run at Nurburgring by Dodge on stock tires and managed 7.51.

If that's the case, are we done listening to Civic and Mustang owners trying to claim that the Hellcats don't handle?

Virtually every review has been impressed with the poise of the Hellcat, pointing out the substantial weight and how well it can be controlled once you learn the car. Having driven the Hellcat back-to-back with a 2013 M5, I know that the HC holds its own with that benchmark. And every test I've seen shows that the HC can swing with the M5, matching it and ultimately being the faster car. The M5 only advantage was in the feedback, which was a bit better. But even in the M5 owner (who now owns a Hellcat) admitted that the Cat was more fun.

So 7.51 at nurburgring on stock tires is a pretty good number. We all know that the power was a part of that time, but the Hellcat has to handle darn well to hang at that time. Have a look at the cars in that time bracket and then consider that it was done on stock tires.

Robert

• Like Like x 2
  2. BIG DAWG

BIG DAWG Hellcat, 1st Florida Cavalry Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National Exec. Director HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    "Clunky old style, straight line, American Muscle" v "European curve carving rockets"...thanks for the update, excellent synopsis. I've always been surprised at the HC's road manners at speed and in town...not being a track guy like many on the forum are, I still appreciate hearing how a well driven HC can hold its own against the "acknowledged" best in class. Bottom line...I love mine and I'm sure that sentiment is not lost on many who actually own one.

• Like Like x 2
  3. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I wish they would list it as an official time soon. But you are right, unless they own a GT350R or just a couple of special Camaros we sit with some good company and don't need to accept we are driving a turd. Surprising we would finish with a 911 Carrera S!

It is the power coming out of corners and continuing down the straights folks, when done correctly it is impressive. Brakes are not bad, handling could be better, but we don't exactly suck at 1 to 1.1 g. That is why some of us are modifying a bit for the corners, this unit is impressive.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. graybear

graybear Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They recently implemented top speed limits on certain parts of it which would limit some of the Hellcats speed it could use. It will be hard to compare new times to old times that were posted prior to the speed limits.

5. MoparProud

MoparProud Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Link?

6. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was thinking the same thing. Most impressive. I wonder how many seconds the Cat would have picked up if it were able to run free and not speed restricted on certain sections. Also very impressive is that this was done on our standard road tyre and not running something like a Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2. Any manufacture going for a time would be running an extra sticky tyre. Some cynical people reckon it was pressure bought to bare by Porsche that had the speed limits imposed to prevent the Porsche 918 time ever being beaten. Pure speculation of course ;).

7. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

The only folks who've attacked the handling of the big cat are the ones who don't drive one or have ignored reviews and numbers. You see a lot of kids on Youtube trying to hate on the Hellcat, but they don't understand that these SRTs hang with the M5.

What the Hellcat is NOT is nimble. That quality really only goes to small cars with smaller wheelbases. If you've driven a Evo X and a GT-R on the same road, you'll know what I mean as the GT-R never feels as nimble as the Evo, even if it's ultimately a faster car than the Mitsu.

With better tires the Hellcat should be able to post significantly better times, but 7.51 is seriously respectable.

Robert

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The top two at Nurgburgring aren't even production street cars... FYI - they also recently lifted the speed restriction. The Cat with a 7.51 is a genuine BADASS ;)... Look at the cars on the list its beat. Top 100 Lap Records | Nürburgring Lap Times

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You are right. I would never race it on a short course against some of that hardware. My favorite and lucky for me local course has the fastest road course turn in the country and that is after we bust it down over a half mile of the smoothest and quickest concrete on this planet. Yep, same pavement of the famed BIR Dragstrip that has the fastest and quickest TF times currently. Check out Brainerd International Donnybrook. Yes the Hellcat has an advantage there and yes does it burn gas fast also! Lots of WOT opportunity at 1.5 gal burned per minute!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Is the Hellcat time at the ring real??
    I read it as a rumor with no substantiated evidence.
    The listed wiki time, has it been confirmed by the Nürburgring records?
    Im not taking the wiki article as evidence.
    Please have video!

12. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

I guess we'll have to wait for confirmation, but I can't see how it would be faked.
    The Hellcat has about the same track numbers as the M5, even the M&T figure 8 times are nearly the same. And the Hellcat is faster out of the hole and at speed. So the 7.51 time sounds reasonable.

I'm sure the Hellcat can do better and worse, depending on who's driving. But given the handling numbers we've seen, this result isn't all that surprising. Once confirmed it does end any debate on something most of know: The Hellcat handles VERY nicely.

Robert

13. DASMOPAR

DASMOPAR Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If confirmed, that is a smoking time for a supposed drag car that doesn't really handle. I ran my '09 SRT8 Chally at Sebring, Daytona and Homestead with NASA and it was a blast! Can't wait for my 1500 mile break in so I can get the Hellcat out there.

• Like Like x 1
  14. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The 7.51 is definitely realistic!
    I have no doubt it will pull a sub 8 minute lap there.
    It's just that wiki articles are not necessarily fact. Some are written or "improved" by unconfirmed sources.
    I can't wait to see a video of that run

15. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

This is the thing..."A supposed drag car that doesn't really handle." It was kids and angry haters who have tried to slap that sentence on the Hellcat, not the drivers and reviewers who's been in relative shock at how well it handles.

How does the Hellcat get that sentence, but the M5 does not? Because the Hellcat is louder, more aggressive and even faster?

The SRT 392 Charger is a poor mans M5. But regarding performance, the M5 is the poor mans Hellcat. And I say that with a great deal of love for the M5, because it's a fantastic car and probably the one I'd buy if I were in my 60's or 70's rather than 50's.

Robert