Hellcat Auto Cross

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by Alex50302, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Alex50302

Alex50302 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    With 2,200 miles complete, first oil change and rear end fluid change it was time for autocross. I know this car isn't designed to be a small track car, but I plan on taking it to Autobahn and Road America later this year and the only way I could get some time behind the wheel and see how the car reacted was with local autocross's. I was running in track mode with all traction and stability settings turned off except the first 2 laps. I ran the first 2 laps (6 total) with the default track mode and the traction and stability kept limiting me coming out of the corners under power. I was 1.5 seconds faster with the traction and stability turned off. I am sure on a larger track where I am going faster then 65-70 mph the computer aid will be more useful. Also the car would be a lot faster with a pilot sport or a cup tire, but for the factory perelli's and the price you get them for they are a good all around tire.Below is the video link. (may have to copy and paste the link)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. ciphros

ciphros Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Looks like a nice lot for auto. Good run, was fun to hear the bursts where you got to step on it a bit. Well composed car, even if not where it is happiest playing. Can tell that wasn't your first time at an event, good line through the run. Fun watch, can't wait to get out to an event myself later this summer.

3. lightningmcnulty

lightningmcnulty VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    looks great, I took mine up to the canyons last night and I was pleasantly surprised at the way it handles, I expected it to be just a big old boat through the corners but it has a lot of grip, its totally controllable in a slide and it doesn't even seem to be upset by the damaged undulating road surface.

The front end does push a little more than i'd like but I think better tires and more toe out would resolve this. really the way it shrugs off its weight is amazing.

I need to go autocross mine, how do you find an event?

Thanks

Kim

4. ciphros

ciphros Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Scca.org look for solo 2 or, do a search for autocross club and your area. You should find websites with schedules.

5. speedycat

speedycat VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Very nice. Great job kept the wheels on the edge squealing. In some power but it was a very tight course. Great vid as well .maybe a lower front view would look cool as well.

6. lightningmcnulty

lightningmcnulty VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I will take a look, thank you

7. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Heck yeah!
    Gettin' it!
    I am going to keep auto crossing my challenger when there is a cheap local event, and I am not at a road course, it's a great time to run the car even if it is only for a minute or two and there's always tons of good folks to hang out with.
    Thank you for posting it's always good to see video of these cars running

8. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What's this Autobahn deal you speak of?

9. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's pretty neat to watch that
    Thank you for posting

10. HadesGata

HadesGata Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    All good fun, and I give you a lot of credit for taking the old beast to an autocross.
    I learned on autocross' back in the day, graduated up from there to regular SCCA events at places like Bridgehampton, Pocono, Rockingham, and Lime Rock.
    For sure these cars will do better at a more open track where the straights will make up for being beastly through the turns, lol!
    Get a good set of tires, appropriate alignment, and perhaps a set of hawk pads and you should be good.
    Keep us posted and have fun!
    Remember, rubber side down!!! :)

11. NoCoHC

NoCoHC Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm going to try autocross for the first time this weekend. I've done some open lapping at our local road course a few times. Seems like cheap entertainment so I'm looking forward to it. The group sponsoring the event is a local Corvette club. I hear they are a good bunch of people.

12. Alex50302

Alex50302 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
  13. zstreet86

zstreet86 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Did you use the paddles or let the auto do its thing?

14. Alex50302

Alex50302 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    For short autocross tracks I have found the car performs well in auto, with the car in track mode (suspension, shifting) and I turn off all the stability and traction control as it was limiting me on power coming out of the corners. The electronics are great for an average driver, but they limit someone of higher skill in pushing the car to its real limits. I was ~1.9-2.2 seconds slower on my three runs with the stability and traction control on then my 3 with it off. Everyone different but I prefer the electronics off.

I haven't had time to post this yet, but I competed in the Optima Batteries Ultimate Street Car shoot out at road america last month. (post, pictures and video to come) I found the limitation of the the car, and it wasn't traction.. it was the brake pads.

15. zstreet86

zstreet86 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for posting. I have been autocrossing a nismo 350z the last few years averaging about 15 events a year. I would consider myself an above average driver. Sunday will be my first event in the charger hellcat so I am very excited about it. I am planning on trying auto in track mode, manual mode starting in 2nd and shifting to 3rd if/as needed (in track mode), and then combinations of this with traction full off.