Hellcat California Owners with out of state license plates!?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by FINALLYSATISFIED, May 31, 2015.

1. FINALLYSATISFIED

FINALLYSATISFIED Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ok so I've been at a couple of dealerships today in hopes of snagging a Hellcat. I went to one specifically and got down to numbers. I've never purchased a vehicle in California and if what I'm being told is right I'll have to purchase out of state definitely then.

So here you have it: I will be trading in a vehicle that has North Carolina plates. NC vehicle tax is 3% of the difference of the trade in.

I was told by the salesmen if I buy a vehicle in CA. I have to pay the 8% sales tax, no matter what regardless if I'm transferring over plates. Apparently since I'll be driving on CA roads I'm subject to the CA sales tax. If I purchase a Hellcat in AZ or wherever then I only pay the 3%.

Has anyone purchased a Hellcat in CA that has out of state plates and paid CA sales tax?!

2. jmlibby

jmlibby Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Do you reside in California? If yes then you pay the sales tax of your city. I will be paying 9.75%. No getting around it. It shouldn't matter what car you are trading in, it's where you are buying.

3. FINALLYSATISFIED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, due to military orders I reside here. I'm not a resident of California. I have a NC license, and all my vehicles have NC plates. I'm transferring my NC license plates over to the Hellcat.

It must be only a CA thing. I've bought many vehicles and always transfered over my license plates. And I pay the NC 3% because I'm transferring plates.

4. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's a CA thing, i had the same issue with mine. You can not pay the tax, but they have to deliver it out of state and you can't "technically' bring the car back into CA for a year. Then like a member said above, you have to pay the CA tax since you drive on CA roads. Catch is, i registered mine in PA. PA and CA are also reciprocal with taxes, so i can submit what i paid in CA to PA and get the difference back. Works out to about $1500 i'll get back.

5. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    in PA u cant even title a vehicle if you have an out of state drivers license. What about titling the car in a state that has no sales tax?

6. Aaron Vogel

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I still have my PA license, and it is still my permanent residence, i just work and "dwell" in CA

7. FINALLYSATISFIED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's exactly what the salesmen basically said. When I heard that I was Iike "wtf". That's an extra $3500 give or take which I wasn't accounting for. NC isn't a reciprocal state not that I'm aware of. I'm definitely researching that right now.

8. Aaron Vogel

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yea look into it, i went back and forth with them pretty bad, i was like "i'll do the paperwork, go to PA, get my plates, come back to CA put my PA plate on and leave" and it turned into a mess with CA taxes, so in the end i said "F it" and paid the extra in taxes. Look into NC DMV, they may still give you the difference back if you register it there and when they ask you to pay, you show them the proof you paid in CA and they may give you difference. I think with CA and PA being reciprocal, it makes it easier, but not sure if they aren't that means you can't get any back.

9. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It depends where you register it not where you buy it. You can either pay the sales tax at the dealership or at the dmv in the state that you register it. Most dealers want you to pay the sales tax where you register it.

If they try and make you pay the CA sales tax when your registering it in NC, they are literally going to register it for you in NC and pocket the difference.

10. Aaron Vogel

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    CA is whack, they will make you pay CA tax and they will not register it in another state for you. If you want to drive the car in CA you HAVE to pay CA tax, doesn't matter where you plan on registering it. The only way around it is to buy it in CA and they HAVE to delivery it out of state, and you can not bring it back into the state for 1 yr. Sure, you could roll the dice and see if you get caught, but its a much bigger deal if they catch you. I just went through all over this. Thats why in the end i just paid the CA tax and will deal with trying to get the difference back later.

• Like Like x 1
  11. FINALLYSATISFIED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Exactly. I'm contemplating this right now. It's bad enough ADMs are thrown out there and then when I'm not used to paying 8% sales tax on a vehicle it definitely sets me back.

I literally went from paying $1300 (nc tax) to $4800 (ca tax) if I buy it in CA. Now that I can lease it. I may definitely do that to have a lower all around payment.

12. Hb hellcat

Hb hellcat Black Betty...BamAlam!!!

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Bought in Alabama. No tax paid, bring home to ca, 8% in my county. No way around it to have privilege of driving on ca roads

13. FINALLYSATISFIED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There is. I currently have a trade in with NC plates. I wanted to transfer plates to the Hellcat. I have to buy it out of state in order to do it.

14. Shake&Bake

Shake&Bake Back to (1) Club?

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Title it in Montana. 0% sales tax. PM me if you want info

15. Hb hellcat

Hb hellcat Black Betty...BamAlam!!!

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, more than likely that's a way around. As long as out of state dl matches out of state reg. But don't get stopped twice more than thirty days apart, because after 30 day residency in this state you need to put ca plates on that vehicle. In a small town with a recognizable car, you may not even need to get a ticket or even actually pulled over for the local cops to know you should have ca tags on the car.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't really want to pay the 8% and the appx 3% additional for dmv and registration fees (11% total), but, I really do like living here in the land of perpetual summer (and fruits and nuts). I also really like driving this car, make that LOVE driving this beast.
    Life sucks....no, wait....it can't suck.....I have a Hellcat!!!
    Life is great and it will be for you as well...get that baby home and worry about taxes and registration later!
    :)