Hellcat displacement...

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by deroiad, Dec 18, 2015.

1. deroiad

deroiad Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Question for those who are techies...The HC engine displacement in liters is 6.2 which translates to 378.35 cubic inches but most refer to the HC 6.2L as a 392. Can anyone speak to why it may be rounded up so high or is it just false info.? thanks

2. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Bad info... it 376 CI (rounded) I've never heard of anyone refer to it as a 6.4 or a 392!;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agree.. The 392 is one model lower on the challenger scale.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I wouldn't call it one model lower on the Challenger scale... I would refer to it as model lower on the HP scale! :D Still a very sweet car with many of the same or similar features that are on the Hellcat! When I was struggling to get the HC... I had a hard time passing on one... Had to force myself to just say no!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. CrewDoggie

CrewDoggie Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    All I can say is that the Hellcat engine was originally a blown 392 during testing. 80% to 90% of the engine was changed during the R&D according to many publications that I have read. Example: Car & Driver, forums, SRT.com, Motor Trend.....etc. several slave variants of the 392 were used as test beds to achieve the full rate production blown 6.2 that we know and love today as the Hellcat engine.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rwhite692

rwhite692 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Halfshaft

Halfshaft Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I read some where to get lower compression on thoso drop forged pistons they had to offset on the dropped forged crank which destroked the 392 from 6.4 to 6.2 so everything would fit in the already proven 392 engine block, supercharger needed lower compression to work. To me its just known as Hellcat engine. Also tack on dash redlines 5800 that's where 707 HP is established, at that setting Hellcat engine just barley qualified inside the emission standards, changing the RPM to 6250 nets approx. 735 HP and pushs emissions on border line, that's challenger Hellcats are delivered default to 5800 rpm setting.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. jaque

jaque Silver Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    so is the hellcat motor a 6.4?? with 5.7 -6.1 crank?? from what im reading seems like.. thought the 6.2 was its own animal. guess the 6.4 block was used??

9. deroiad

deroiad Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

10. CNYHC

CNYHC SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Check out the above link^^^^ comment #6. It tells you all about the engine and the differences for the Hellcat.

11. Halfshaft

Halfshaft Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes they used the 5.7 crank but drop forged it to make it bullet proof, used the same Apache 392 cast iron block, combination yield 6.2 liter, cubic inch depending on how calculated is 376 or some say 378

12. deroiad

deroiad Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey guys, thanks to all that replied but with all the inputs still a bit confusing and see why now. Special thanks to rwhite692 for the link to the great article (We take a hard look at dodges paradigm...); Halfshaft for his info. on the 'destroked 392' and jaque stating the 6.4L. Well, with the info. from these 3 guys and the article, it appears that the beginning of the Hellcat engine, as we know it today, is essentially the Apache 6.4L (translates to ~392) which is why I heard of the reference from the beginning. There is information in the article (which I have partially included below) that describes how the displacement difference between the 6.4L and the Hellcat 6.2L is all in the 'stroke' (3.72 inches vs. 3.58 inches). A little more complex than one would think. What does it all matter? Not much if all we care about is the endgame 707 HP. But it does address the question of why do some reference the HC engine 'block' as a 392 (6.4L), it's because it started as one. See the whole article which is a good one! or immediately below is part of the article that addresses this. Thanks again!

From the article - We Take A Hard Look At Dodge's Paradigm-Shifting 707hp Hellcat Hemi (Hot Rod Network)
    Short-Block
    "The engine block is the bedrock of the Hellcat. All 707 of the Hellcat's horsepower get transmitted through the block, which is made of cast gray iron. Outwardly, it looks very similar to the Apache block that underpins the 392, but there are two primary changes—three if you count the standard Hemi Orange powdercoat paint! During development, it was discovered that a significant change in the coolant circuit was needed in order to manage the Hellcat's increased thermal output. Specifically, the water jackets now continue all the way down to a level equal with the piston crown's bottom dead center. Second, the amount of material in the webbing between the bores and the main caps has been increased. Lastly, the piston oil squirters have been retargeted to cool a slightly different region of the piston, which itself is significantly different than the cast piston in the 392 Apache. These revised squirters also have a pressure-sensitive lube valve to shut off flow to them at low pressure; this is done to prioritize volume and pressure to the rest of the lube circuit.

The difference in displacement between the 6.4L Apache and the 6.2L Hellcat is all in the stroke (3.72 inches versus 3.58 inches), so the rotating assembly is different dimensionally. The Hellcat's shorter-throw forged steel crank is actually machined from the same forging as the longer stroke Apache crank, but because of increased journal overlap, it's stronger."

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    using the formula [​IMG] X 8, where r = 2.045" (51.95 mm) and h = 3.58" (90.9 mm),
    the results are 376.278 CID or 6.165 L.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Catscratch Fever

Catscratch Fever Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  15. srtdusty

srtdusty Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat