Hellcat driving experiences?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Tantaus, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Tantaus

Tantaus Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Hello all, longtime lurker, new poster here...

For all those of you fortunate enough to have had your Hellcats for a few months or so, could you share your experiences / thoughts on how suitable the cars are for daily fair-weather driving?

I've been considering the purchase of a Challenger Hellcat for some time now, and obviously missed the opportunity for enjoying the whole 2015 buying experience. ;) I'm on the fence between waiting to place an order for a 2016 Hellcat (and then waiting some more....) or going to look around for a 2015 SRT 392 now. In either case, this would be a fair-weather (spring-summer-early fall) regular driver for me (25+ mile commute one-way), sometimes in evening rush-hour traffic on the way home. For winter / bad weather, I'd be back in my Ram 3500 dually. (And that is why I'm craving something much more fun to drive!)

Do you guys find the Hellcats to be frustrating to drive in heavy traffic (i.e. does it get old real fast having to be super careful with throttle), or is it fairly easy to adjust for these situations? I'm wondering if a 392 would be better suited for me given the conditions I drive in daily to work, while still giving me 75% of the fun when I can take it out to play. Is the Hellcat worth the wait, or would I find it too frustrating to drive daily?

Curious as to everyone's thoughts and experiences.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    it is SUPER easy to drive and you don't have to worry whatsoever about hitting the gas too hard in traffic. I drive it daily in Houston Texas and work downtown....no issues at all.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. F6F

F6F BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If I wasn't that careful with the car I will drive it daily, like Zebug said, it is great as a daily driver. Plus, everybody keeps checking the car out and feeds your ego haha
    And it brakes on a dime, I love the car

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Buy the hellcat,, you will love it,, if you want it right drive like a sxt it will, if you want to get your blood going, just hit the gas,, better to have and not use, then not have and wish you had it

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The Hellcat is a pretty forgiving car to drive. Like any other car, you have to use common sense and good judgement in performing driving maneuvers. You won't be disappointed if you are able to acquire one. FWIW, the risk / benefit ratio is the same for a 392 or even a 5.7 for general urban driving. I hope to see you posting pics whenever you get your new ride!

6. Tantaus

Tantaus Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback, and so far, you've all confirmed what I was hoping! :D

7. F6F

F6F BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So, are you buying a Vette?:):)

8. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Funny, get the hellcat,, then you become part of the.owners club..

9. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    if it were a daily driver id get a 392 RT

For me $65-70k is too much to spend for a daily driver...$40-45k is still too much, but will get you 75%+ of the fun and 99% of the same looks

i learned 1st hand it doesnt drive well on snow/ice.....almost immobile.....(i went into a ditch on ice, couldnt drive in my cul de sac on 2" of snow, had to plow the whole cul de sac)

id get the RSA tires on the RT....i had them on my 2011 SRT and found them great...i was able to get very low 0-60 times and never saw a reason to get summer tires...in the rain you still need to be careful with a 392..

10. Tantaus

Tantaus Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Heck no! :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. MrBigKid

MrBigKid BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree with everyone, including the fact that it's a bit over kill for a daily driver. I just don't care. :D Mine is literaly a daily driver. Work grocery store, anywhere i can take it.
    I did have to get used to the big toe style of driving. This things has Gobs of power just sitting under the pedal but you quickly get used to barely pressing it to move.
    When you add in the reduced power modes, the eco mode and such, you can force yourself to drive like a Sunday school teacher or a stunt driver. Up to you. ..

Go for it!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Shake&Bake

Shake&Bake Back to (1) Club?

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    For some reason ever since I got mine to 500 miles, I have been in continuos stunt driver mode. It's getting so bad, I almost feel guilty.

• Like Like x 2
  13. MrBigKid

MrBigKid BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Haven't you heard? The Hellcat is 100% calorie free and therefore 100% guilt free!

When the wife rides I have to go all street...

So 98% sport isn't so bad! :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. superbeegugs

superbeegugs Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I use my Hellcat Charger for my daily drive to work. My commute is only a 1/2 mile on side streets and on Saturday, I take it on a 5 mile trip to the golf course. I am averaging 10 mpg - on 3rd tank of gas and only have 250 miles on the car. No issues using it for every day usage - I don't like getting it caught in the rain. The hood vents let rain into the engine area and gets it dirty.

15. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah, rain in the engine compartment is a full day of cleaning,, add in the wheels, and you can count your weekend gone...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1