Hellcat first month impressions 6spd torred, sephia

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by gjs620, May 30, 2016.

1. gjs620

gjs620 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I thought I would take a minute and give my impressions of the hellcat after having turned over 1000 miles with a 500 mile road trip and 500 in the city.

Buying experience. Like many others, I ordered my HC fall of 2014 but due to the lack of inventory and my unwillingness to pay over sticker did not receive it until April 2016. I ordered from Bob Frederick, who I had purchased my last couple Challengers from. I have seen some that had negative comments but I have to say that my experience was excellent. Waiting a year to get the car actually was better. Some of the early production issues were corrected and knowing that the guy selling me the car was passionate about Challengers was a plus. I was in Ohio over Christmas and met him and his dad (great people) and can vouch that they are stand up guys. When the next best thing comes out, I will buy from him again in a heart beat.

Delivery: from the point that the order went D status to the point when it arrived in a closed car trailer (Ohio to Florida) took less than 3 weeks. I got updates daily which was fun. Great experience.

Inspection of car upon arrival. The guy delivering my car was awesome. He even took his shoes off before getting into the car to pull it off the trailer. He even called me several time during the 2 day transit. I received the car with 3 miles on it. Bob saves all the stuff that came with the car. I mean everything from build sheets, to the plastic seat coverings, to the tape for the window sticker down to the little booty things the delivery guy wore over his shoes. Everything. The fitment on the car was surprising. Actually very good. And the paint was even more impressive. Much better than my previous challengers. I did notice that the passenger side of the car was lower than the drivers side by about 1/2 inch at the wheel wells; both in front and back. Interior was perfect; couldn't find any flaws. I can already predict, however, that the leather seat will wrinkle as the car ages. The leather is so soft it seems inevitable.

Driving impressions: Good but it is a big car. Steering feels somewhat disconnected from the road but certainly not a show stopper. It drives like a heavy car because it is. Almost feels a bit like driving an SUV, lol, but more responsive and tight. Visibility in the car is bad; however, the tech in the car mitigates the poor visibility completely. Blind spot detection is amazing and works brilliantly. Cross traffic detection is awesome too. (it has saved me a few times.) I no longer worry about backing up or changing lanes in traffic. For those of you that had older challengers you know what I mean when I say driving in rush hour took effort and backing out of a busy parking lot was more like trial and error. No longer the case with the new model. The back up camera is so so. It works as advertised but the resolution of not good. Low light performance is so so also. The back up guide lines are great and very accurate. They bend as you turn the steering wheel. Very helpful. The ventilated seats are incredible. Here in Florida with heat/humidity, its a life saver. Gauges and Uconnect are some of the best in the business. No flaws as I can see. Stereo sounds good but the auto noise sensing function that increases volume is default to on even though it shows off. Have to turn it on then off everytime you start the car. Hassle. Dodge really needs to fix this. Exhaust. Sounds great. I don't want to say too loud but its loud. Can't imagine why anyone would want to mess with it. Just sounds mean. I smile everytime i step on it. Supercharger. Well the whine is amazing. Sometimes I don't really notice it that much and then others it really stands out. Not sure why but at times it seems more pronounced even when given duplicated driving conditions. It's fast. Deceivingly so. I haven't just romped on it yet. Just isn't enough road to do that where I am at, lol. Flooring it in 4-6th gives you good acceleration but I was thinking it would be "more". 1-3 is just stupid quick. I'm guessing that's the way the gearing etc is set up. No complaints. MPG; not that it matters is coming in exactly as on the sticker. 13 city; 21 hwy; and I am not babying it at all. Clutch and shifting (I have a 6 speed) is about right on. Not too light, not too heavy. about what you would expect from a muscle car. My last 2 challengers had drive line slack, as some of you might have experienced, the HC driveline is tight...No slack or play at all. Also, absolutely no rattles anywhere in the car. its tight.

3 goods: interior. its just awesome. I have the sephia with torred and it looks the part. motor. we all know that. Tech. finally dodge is building some tech that has been available in a Hyundai for 10 years.

3 bads: foot parking bake. need to go with electronic. takes less room and easier to use. and don't hit my foot on it all the time. need auto remembering seat adjustments position. the back trunk lid retains a ton of water when it rains or you wash it. This is going to be a rust issue for sure in the future. Tried blowing it out, etc but no matter what I do it continues to leak over a couple day period.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That is a well written post and thank you for sharing with us.
    The parking brake pedal may be something dodge corrects In the future. The deck lid filling with water and subsequent draining every time we open it, is a quirk that's easily solved with better deals or plugs to prevent the water collecting

3. blaze

blaze ☆★✪ The Watcher ✪★☆ Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    great review.

4. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good read! Thanks for your insight. :)

April

5. Oshkosh707

Oshkosh707 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    V
    very helpful, I enjoyed it. Thanks!

6. hemiplymouth

hemiplymouth Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you....a good reading.

7. mrcaio

mrcaio Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    How's the interior holding out? Does the new softer leather show wrinkling or stretching?
    Great review!

8. Red Harley

Red Harley Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member HCC National Secretary

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Very well written review of your Hellcat.

9. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nice review. Now go enjoy the car. it's good to be KING!!

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. SRT MANG

SRT MANG Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So the Hellcats don't have the auto entry/exit with seat memory?

Didn't Dodge also remove the heated/cooled cupholders for 2016?

11. GreenPirate

GreenPirate SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for sharing your experience. Takes me back to the early days of our Hellcat ownership.
    I agree that the tail lights hold water after washing. I've found that if I am persistent with a leaf blower, and focus on the inside edges of both lights, it is possible to get rid of most, if not all of the water.
    You can see if it works for you. I'd really like to see if this is reproducible.
    Congrats on the Cat!:D

12. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Geezz, it's the most powerful muscle car ever!! Who really cares about all that sissy stuff?:confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Apparently you got your car from that "other" assembly plant that has quality paint, because the rest of us have "le crappo" paint...

:oops:

;):p

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think the heavy handedness from the steering has to do with hydraulic steering instead of electric. I feel the road very well with this type of steering.
    I open and slam the trunk 10 times, which gets most of the water out.

Very nice review! :D

15. Hellcatmichael

Hellcatmichael SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Your cat is cool looking and I'm not talking about your car.

• Funny Funny x 1