Hellcat Ignorance about Reliability

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by GoodCaptain, Mar 30, 2016.

1. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    There are currently 3 Hellcat's in my "family" of friends and my good friend runs a company that does exports of higher end cars. Part of the deal is that the cars have to have a certain amount of miles on them so they don't get taxed as new.

Those details are not important, except to point out that we get to drive a bunch of cool stuff. Hellcats, GT-Rs, M cars, Audi R8 and S7, various Porsches and many more.

So let me get to the point. ALL of these cars have more issues than "normal cars." And it's part of the business model to expect that and work with it. Some of the problems are very serious. I'm not going to bash brands and warranties are in place, but the Hellcats have not been among the cars to exhibit serious problems. Yet the Hellcat is often the most powerful and least expensive product being handled.

So we have a few resident kooks here who DON'T OWN A HELLCAT, but are very busy counting up the issues and knocking the car. Of course they're not looking at M cars or Lambos to compare issues and severity. These webster trolls know next to nothing and have almost no direct experience with the Hellcat.

If you buy a low production super high-performance car, you should EXPECT some issues. My friends Vette has them. My uncles GT500 has them. And my buddy traded his M5 for a Hellcat, which was delayed after the M car had a serious transmission issue. If you can't handle this sort of stuff, buy a Miata or a lower power Mustang.

Beyond that enjoy the Hellcat and should issues come along, use the warranty.

Cheers,

Robert

• Like x 7
    • Agree x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
  2. Antimatter

Antimatter SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good info. Well said. Thank you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BODUKE

BODUKE Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Really skipper? Your friends are tax cheats and you disclose that info here lol? Every car needs maintenance and sometimes repairs. Very interesting thread, please stick to posting videos you're better at that.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  4. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Robert,

Very clever, keep posting ;););)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

LOL. My post is exactly as stated. My wife is talking about getting a Porsche. 1st thing we were told is that a Porsche (especially at the high end) is going to need more attention than a Lexus. And if it's driven hard, it may need a LOT more attention.
    If you want to play, you have to pay. As great as these new machines are, they can and will break if pushed repeatedly. They will have errors, issues and defects. If you want to avoid this, stick with very high volume generic cars. Or split the difference and buy a Cayman S, which is fairly reliable.
    That all said, my direct experience with Hellcats proves that serious issues are amazingly low for a car of such power. When mine is delivered perhaps I'll have troubles, but I'm educated to know what I'm buying and the expectations are realistic.
    Having owned a 2015 SRT 392 Charger with no issues after 18K, I'm hopeful that the Hellcat is just as bullet proof. But I won't cry like a baby if it's not.
    Nor would I consider missing out on the huge fun of owning a Hellcat. I don't live in fear and miss out.
    I'm close to buying a new sailboat. Just like cars, higher performance boats have longer lists of possible problems. I could avoid some of them by buying a lower performance boat that is more generic.
    No thanks!

Robert

• Like Like x 2
  6. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    and the Troll returns for another negative comment

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Robert,

Carpe Diem, if you want to go fast, on water, land or air, it takes some some cash. The amount of cash goes up exponentially on water and even more on air. For value, cannot beat the Hellcat, you would be hard pressed to build a car with 700+ HP for the price of it, not to mention with another 10K or so you can have 1,000 HP at the wheels, that is a steal. :D:D

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. blaze

blaze ☆★✪ The Watcher ✪★☆ Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    agreed. "speed is expensive, how fast can you afford to go?"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. blaze

blaze ☆★✪ The Watcher ✪★☆ Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    if "that one thread" was not made, we would not have something to talk about and focus on. Dodge reads these forums. at first i was up in arms about what i read from that user, but now i think that he may have helped us all by raising awareness for improvement, even if they were specific individualized cases..

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Zebug was spot on, need a little drama to keep the site interesting,

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. yurdaddy

yurdaddy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    FCA bought my 15 cat back after multiple issues. The gentleman that works for Impartial Services that picked up my 15 cat told me hes been doing swaps and buybacks for 35 different car manufactures for 25 years and the two cars he's never had to do a swap or buyback on was Acura and Hyundai cars for what that's worth. He said mine was the 2nd Hellcat he swapped out in the last two weeks. And he only covers a 150 Mile range from Detroit.

• Useful Useful x 2
  12. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

I had a Hyundai that was bought back. Seats would not fold correctly and it turned out be something with the floor being machined wrong and could not be repaired.

But comparing Acura or Hyundai is not really a good comparison. Let's be real. If a LOT of Hellcats were being bought back, it would be impossible to hide. Though not quite the same as a buy-back, my friend's M4 was "exchanged" after a few days due to a fuel issue.

FCA will support you if there are problems. You have a warranty. But the message is clear: Buying a Hellcat is not the same risk factor as a Hyundai or Acura. It's very easy to become biased when YOUR car is the one with issues.

Robert

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    And BTW, there are plenty of BMW and Audi buyback cars out there that you can buy.

I guess I'd be more frustrated with a BMW, Audi, or Hellcat if it was MY car that had to go back. But I'm a realist. Things go wrong, even with expensive stuff. I wouldn't deny myself a Hellcat over it. That would just make me a big loser who lives in fear.

100 people go swimming in a lake and I love to swim. 10 people say the water is too cold. 20 say it's cool and the rest say it's fantastic. I'm going swimming and will be probably love it.

Then 2 people show up at the lake. One digs a muddy hole and says his sad little pool is better to swim in. Occasionally he throws mud at the lake swimmers, who are having a better time. The other guy just stands there and quotes drowning statistics.

Cheers,

Robert

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ray Hunsaker

Ray Hunsaker Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    what a dick.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BODUKE

BODUKE Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I takes one to know one.

• Funny Funny x 1